• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Glass Aviary

Good or bad idea?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
This is a kinda weird thought, but what if I built a glass aviary, added ventilation, then added a frosting film on the outside of the glass so the birds don’t get it confused with open air? This would be indoors but still fairly large, I don’t know if I could pull it off but does it seem like a good or bad idea?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you couldn’t interact with them, so I voted bad. Also, a cage is still a cage even if it’s see through, so what’s the point?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Bird-safe glass is well researched, so as long as you follow those recommendations you won't need full frosting (the etching is actually placed on the bird-side of the glazing).

It's even used at the National Aviary in the US.

That said, I'm curious what benefits you're hoping to achieve with the use of glass.
How many sides do you envision being glass?
Also, what's your definition of, "fairly large"?
Which species will be in that space?
What's the ventilation strategy?

(I voted "bad", not because it can't be done, but because doing it right would be complex and costly)

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I think you couldn’t interact with them, so I voted bad. Also, a cage is still a cage even if it’s see through, so what’s the point?
The point is honestly just something cool for them, I want something big enough to go inside of but doesn’t take up the whole room (it’s a large room)

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Bird-safe glass is well researched, so as long as you follow those recommendations you won't need full frosting (the etching is actually placed on the bird-side of the glazing).

It's even used at the National Aviary in the US.

That said, I'm curious what benefits you're hoping to achieve with the use of glass.
How many sides do you envision being glass?
Also, what's your definition of, "fairly large"?
Which species will be in that space?
What's the ventilation strategy?

(I voted "bad", not because it can't be done, but because doing it right would be complex and costly)
It would probably be one or two sides as glass (one would be the wall of the room, and another one or two would be mesh) and I would drill small holes for ventilation and have mesh on the door. And as for the point, it’s a room that might be used sometimes by my family and I don’t want a bunch of little kids sticking their fingers in the cage, taunting the birds, etc. also I just kinda want a unique aviary lol. The size would be around 5-9 feet by 5-9 feet. And I’m considering putting lovebirds in it! (maybe a couple pairs) Still not sure if I will actually do this because I have to get my family to agree before doing anything like this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How would you put perches and toys around it?

Also getting a streak free clean on that much glass sounds like my nightmares :lol:

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
How would you put perches and toys around it?

Also getting a streak free clean on that much glass sounds like my nightmares :lol:
I would use suction cups and stuff, not every side would be glass though so I don’t think it would be a problem. And for the streaks, honestly they don’t bother me much lol, but I have gotten streaks of my glass shower door many times so I could probably do it with a bit of work.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Sorry I surely would not want glass. Would this be indoor or outdoor? Surely a no-no if outdoors.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I would not use glass ..most birds like using the bars of a cage to get around and hang out on ..my birds use all sides of the cage to do things such as get to the other side of the cage and play with their toys :)

Beebleburb

Strolling the yard
I just think it would be super overly expensive for something that's gonna be so difficult to keep clean and difficult to make safe for the birds. Plus why even have it if you have to put frosted glass on it then you can't look in? I'd also think it would filter out even more of the vitamins they get from sunlight which are already very dampened by one layer of glass (windows)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like others have said, I think this would be expensive, heavy and difficult to keep clean and maintain.

If the problem is little children, you need to be able to tell the kids that a bird cage is off limits. If you don't have the ability to instruct the children and enforce that boundary, then you also might have trouble keeping the rest of the birds' environment safe i.e. not bringing unsafe products into the house, no teflon, candles, air fresheners, aerosols, perfumes etc.

Winn

Jogging around the block
It sounds like it would be beautiful.. but it will be very heavy and very expensive. As others have said, it will be a constant chore to keep the glass clean.
I would re-think using a (home) wall as one wall for the enclosure.. at least without protecting it from chewing, scratches & poop stains (especially if it's plasterboard/drywall panels which crumble easily and absorb every wet stain..)
Have you considered other materials for your aviary? Glass would look great, but only if it's kept very clean.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I would drill small holes for ventilation and have mesh on the door.
If you go with this build- the mesh on the door (assuming a "walk-in door") should be adequate ventilation. It would be very difficult to drill holes in glass without chipping or shattering it.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my birds will happily fly around my all glass conservatory the other wont come out of her cage.

Winn

Jogging around the block
One of my birds will happily fly around my all glass conservatory the other wont come out of her cage.
Birdies are known for being fickle! What pleases one doesn't interest another.
I've kinda resolved myself to "whatever makes them happy"...

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
If you go with this build- the mesh on the door (assuming a "walk-in door") should be adequate ventilation. It would be very difficult to drill holes in glass without chipping or shattering it.
Good point, I might use plexiglass though to prevent shattering and cracking! It’s also cheaper.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Like others have said, I think this would be expensive, heavy and difficult to keep clean and maintain.

If the problem is little children, you need to be able to tell the kids that a bird cage is off limits. If you don't have the ability to instruct the children and enforce that boundary, then you also might have trouble keeping the rest of the birds' environment safe i.e. not bringing unsafe products into the house, no teflon, candles, air fresheners, aerosols, perfumes etc.
Kids isn’t the only problem, I honestly just want to build something cool (my inner artist is coming out lol) and for money I would probably reuse materials (if I know they are bird safe) and possibly use plexi glass instead normal glass because it wouldnt be at risk of cracking or shattering and it’s cheaper, it is easy to scratch though. But like I’ve said, I don’t know how happy my family would be for me to do this so we‘ll see!

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I just think it would be super overly expensive for something that's gonna be so difficult to keep clean and difficult to make safe for the birds. Plus why even have it if you have to put frosted glass on it then you can't look in? I'd also think it would filter out even more of the vitamins they get from sunlight which are already very dampened by one layer of glass (windows)
The sunlight is a good point I didn’t think about, so I’ll have to think on that (parts would be mesh though which would let sun in) and for the frosted glass, it’s hard to explain but I have a nice idea for it!

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Sorry I surely would not want glass. Would this be indoor or outdoor? Surely a no-no if outdoors.
It would be indoors! And I prob would use plexi glass so shattering won’t happen.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you'd just like to build something cool for your birds, I'd consider toys & perches. There are lots of awesome ideas in the DIY Drive section. DIY Drive

There are also lots of inspiring ideas for those with more artistic skills to be found in the vendors section. Many AA vendors make their wares. List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles