• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gizmo

Lerryn

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys! Last Thursday I adopted a caique called gizmo, he is 8 months old. He is settling in really well, he loves spending time with us
I have started to convert him to a pellet diet as he was previously on a seed only diet- it is going well! I have been crushing up Harrison’s pellets and mixing them in with his seed and some water and he seems to be eating them which is amazing
The one issue we have at the moment is he is very clingy. We have got a Java tree perch for him to play on when we are busy doing housework etc but he always flies to us, which means we are having to put him in his cage sometimes
He is better than he was, he used to scream when he was alone but he is no longer doing that
Furthermore, he is much more energetic when he is in his cage. He bounces,swings around and is crazy. When he is out with us he doesn’t bounce or be that crazy. Just quite chill, sitting on my knee or shoulder. He does love playing finger fights though
Also at the moment he is not hugely interested in toys- apart from bottle lids
I am hoping these things are just due to him being new !
thankyou

Attachments

Lerryn

I also forgot to mention- he has a hate for my sister. Every time she enters the room he stops what he is doing, poofs up and watches her. He has bitten her face a few times also. Is there any way to help this? She has been giving him treats whilst he has been in his cage so he knows she is safe and gives food but he still dislikes her

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He’s so gorgeous congratulations :heart:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Your baby is very cute. They're ALL very clingy though. there's a strong flock instinct in caiques, and you're the flock now. I keep a one year old caique baby in the house and he's a hoot, but his energy levels need to be managed.
That means flying time every day to keep that energy under control

One day, when you accidentally leave a door or window open, you will be VERY GLAD that he always comes to you. Train him now to fly to you, automatically, without thinking, when you raise your arm.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's really cute! Congrats!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Lerryn

Your baby is very cute. They're ALL very clingy though. there's a strong flock instinct in caiques, and you're the flock now. I keep a one year old caique baby in the house and he's a hoot, but his energy levels need to be managed.
That means flying time every day to keep that energy under control

One day, when you accidentally leave a door or window open, you will be VERY GLAD that he always comes to you. Train him now to fly to you, automatically, without thinking, when you raise your arm.
I am a bit worried/confused as gizmo really isn’t very high energy. He just kind of clings to us and doesn’t really do much else. He likes chewing lids because we give them to him, and he likes playing with our fingers sometimes but that’s kind of it? He also doesn’t eat his food alone, he only eats when someone is in the room

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
You only got him a week ago. Hes not confident in your home yet so he has toned down his energy levels. THAT WILL CHANGE

Caiques are flock eaters. they will eat alone but will always demand food when the flock ( thats YOU) is eating

Lerryn

You only got him a week ago. Hes not confident in your home yet so he has toned down his energy levels. THAT WILL CHANGE

Caiques are flock eaters. they will eat alone but will always demand food when the flock ( thats YOU) is eating
Amazing, Thankyou so much. I have read so many of your replies to other posts and you have been such a huge help!