• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving up on Booker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
This has got to be one of the hardest days I've ever had to face.
We pulled Booker from training on July 31st, and have let him spend some time to settle down and discuss what his future plans would be. My mom has been avoiding the subject, and I've been so busy that I haven't really noticed it until today.

As some of you may know, Booker is my morgan gelding. We have several horses out on my parents farm, and I used to show horses competitively. I retired from the ring at 18 after a successful 10 year stint as a Jr. Exhibitor, but have been planning my return to the show ring with amateur status. 7 years ago, my mare Lexy gave birth to our first foal, Booker (Rush River Candide). Little did I know how fitting that name would become :( My optimistic little colt took 5 years to grow up, and he got BIG! HUGE! Beautiful. He is the embodiment of a morgan hunter, and his size and elegance alone far dwarfs the competition (and while I may be slightly biased as I love him so much, I'm not too far exaggerating this fact). When we sent Booker off for training, I had high hopes. I was sure that within the year, me and my precious baby horse would be making our debut in the show ring, and I was assured of our ringing success. He was full of potential and was so sweet-natured and willing to please that I was only counting down the months until I got the "ok" to ride him myself. But things didn't go according to plan, and all I can say was the woman who we sent him to (with the intention of helping boost her barn, as she was a new and upcoming trainer), did evil to my horse. That he suffered abuse at her hands was blatantly obvious. But the mental abuse she has inflicted on my horse has become even more apparent in recent months.

My mother has confirmed that Booker will not be returning to training. He is officially "ruined" as a show horse, too many phobias and fears have been developed from this woman's brutal mishandling of my poor, sweet baby. Despite having someone work with him for six months to help "unwind" him, as when we got him back he was freaked out by even a fly landing on him, he has returned to being a happy horse at home, but will never have the mental capacity to adapt to the stress of a horse show life. He has "meltdowns", and while these things are easy to handle at home, she has decided that they are the ending to his never-started professional career. I am devestated. After seven years of anxiously waiting for Booker to be ready to go to the ring with me, today I have been informed this dream will never be realized. And words cannot express the anger I have towards the woman who ruined him.

My parents have sunk quite a bit of money into Booker, as they know of our special bond and wanted so much for us to have our time together in the ring. And I am SO grateful for my parents that despite his quirks and faults, they aren't looking to sell him off to someone else, or simply have him destroyed. No, Booker is going to be one very expensive trail horse for us, and we shall continue to love him as we always have, and he will have a forever home on our farm, forever my mount, forever my soulmate in the form of an equine.

Its a sad day today.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
That sucks :( I never really was too into the show ring(never had any horses good enough) but I definitely know what it's like to have a trainer who anyone thinks is so good totally destroy a horse's potential. I'm definitely glad he'll be staying with you guys, though. :hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry natalie about booker.Not sure if you know this but Morgans are my favorite..well actually my whole families favorites.My cousin in Tn and Kentucky raised them for years.Years ago, more than 20, I went to Vermont to look at a UVM promise grand son and ended up purchsing him off a very abusive woman.The things that horse had done to him were so terrible.I always believed it takes a soft gentle touch to work with any horse.I'm sorry your horse went through all this trauma....hugssss

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I am sorry Natalie. I'm sure I would have sued and probably decked that woman. Maybe he needs a good long break and then you start working with him. Just ride for pleasure and start building his confidence. Morgans are known for their great resilience and he's still so young. I wouldn't give up hope, it just may take longer to get there. :hug8:

Ginger

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I'm sorry natalie about booker.Not sure if you know this but Morgans are my favorite..well actually my whole families favorites.My cousin in Tn and Kentucky raised them for years.Years ago, more than 20, I went to Vermont to look at a UVM promise grand son and ended up purchsing him off a very abusive woman.The things that horse had done to him were so terrible.I always believed it takes a soft gentle touch to work with any horse.I'm sorry your horse went through all this trauma....hugssss
UVM horses are so beautiful. Booker has lines to Waseeka's In Command, and his dam is Kohler breeding, so he goes back to Trophy, Reata Goddess, and of course Vigilmarch. He really needs a gentle touch. And he's hypersensitive now, if he thinks you're upset with him in the least he freaks out and cowers at the back of his stall. Its been leaking out slowly what happened to him, but I know for sure she beat him with a chain, drugged him when she had to ride him, and on more than one occasion flipped him over, covered him with a tarp, and then beat him. My precious baby is still in there somewhere, but he's very changed from when he left our farm as a 5 year old :(

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Natalie, I'm so sorry. I was just thinking the other day how much abuse scars animals permanently. I can see the residue of even mild mishandling, but actual abuse, wow--it is so hard to undo the damage, maybe impossible. I just have so much respect for people who work at rehabilitation. But, I couldn't do it. It would bother me too much. I just don't understand how people can ruin animals. A happy, well trained animal is one of the most beautiful things in the world.

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
So sorry Natalie, but I'm glad your family will be able to give him the love he needs. That woman has some bad karma coming her way if there is any justice..

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He really needs a gentle touch. And hIts been leaking out slowly what happened to him, but I know for sure she beat him with a chain, drugged him when she had to ride him, and on more than one occasion flipped him over, covered him with a tarp, and then beat him. My precious baby is still in there somewhere, but he's very changed from when he left our farm as a 5 year old :(
I would sue the friggen pants off her and report her for cruelty to every horse and animal organization on the planet. Then I would tarp her down and beat the crap out of HER!!! :shake::atomic:

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Having read what you have just written has made me sick to my stomach....How anyone could treat such a magnificent animal in that way to "train" them is beyond me....but there are people who think this is the way to get a horse/animal to do THEIR bidding....
Did your parents have ANY idea this was part of her training??? Had they watched how she was around the horses and the horses reactions to her?
I don't think "giving up on Booker" is the right title...he never stood a chance to show his potential....This is really sick!:mad:
How will you now work with him to start settling him down even for a trail horse?:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would sue the friggen pants off her and report her for cruelty to every horse and animal organization on the planet. Then I would tarp her down and beat the crap out of HER!!! :shake::atomic:

Ginger
:lol: Ginger, have I told you lately that I love you? That's just what she deserves! Well said.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
UVM horses are so beautiful. Booker has lines to Waseeka's In Command, and his dam is Kohler breeding, so he goes back to Trophy, Reata Goddess, and of course Vigilmarch. He really needs a gentle touch. And he's hypersensitive now, if he thinks you're upset with him in the least he freaks out and cowers at the back of his stall. Its been leaking out slowly what happened to him, but I know for sure she beat him with a chain, drugged him when she had to ride him, and on more than one occasion flipped him over, covered him with a tarp, and then beat him. My precious baby is still in there somewhere, but he's very changed from when he left our farm as a 5 year old :(

OMG I can't even put into words how angry reading that just made me! You need to take that woman to court and make certain she never has another animal in her care again. I have owned and rode horses most of my life and while we do not have one now I still feel very connected to horses. That type of bheavior si attrocious and has always been my opinion that if you can treat a defensless animal like that you are just one step away from doing it to a person.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole

Ginger

Agreed!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Having read what you have just written has made me sick to my stomach....How anyone could treat such a magnificent animal in that way to "train" them is beyond me....but there are people who think this is the way to get a horse/animal to do THEIR bidding....
Did your parents have ANY idea this was part of her training??? Had they watched how she was around the horses and the horses reactions to her?
I don't think "giving up on Booker" is the right title...he never stood a chance to show his potential....This is really sick!:mad:
How will you now work with him to start settling him down even for a trail horse?:hug8:
We had NO idea. For almost a year and a half! My parents went there about 5 times to see him work, but they were within the first 8 months. Then, she started having to reschedule, everyone got busy...but I tried for months and months to get out there, but she always had an excuse. My mom and I figured she went to 3 weddings and 4 funerals one month, judging by her responses to the times I would suggest going out to see Booker. It was ridiculous. I kept telling my mom something was up, something was wrong, but it took her a full 4 more months of her trying to contact the trainer to get down there and see him too before she realized the pattern and actually BELIEVED what I was saying, and promptly pulled him from training.
When he came home, he was a MESS. I'll never forget the look in his eye...that wasn't even my horse anymore.
We've had someone working with him for the last six months to unwind him. A horse whisperer, of sorts. After 6 months, you can work with him again, and ride him even, but it takes a lot of pre-groundwork before you can get up on his back and a lot of patience and letting him think through things when you're up there. I've still never ridden my baby yet, just talked with this Dan guy who actually came to us pleading not to send him to the glue factory, because apparently he witnessed what this lady was doing to Booker, and when she announced that he was "good for nothing" and that she had told us to get him destroyed, he had phoned on Booker's behalf. We were APPALLED that she was telling people that was what we do with our horses. She also said that we forced our horses to wear bicycle chain bits (ANOTHER terrible, terrible thing), have shoes on all the time, and that we condoned her treatment of Booker. We had NO idea what was going on.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Unfortunately, we have no proof. Trust me, the first thing I did was phone my lawyer (well, after a full day of planning a confrontation with her that resulted in my shoving a bicycle chain bit in her mouth and then covering her with a tarp and beating the crap out of her). We would need witnessed proof. Dan said he saw her drug the horse to ride him, and talked about how she needed to have chains to lead this horse from his stall (this is the same horse that my 3 year old nephew leads in from the pasture, by the way. Gentle as a lamb). But we have no physical proof, just her word against ours, and the fact that after all those months of training, our horse is ruined.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Unfortunately, we have no proof. Trust me, the first thing I did was phone my lawyer (well, after a full day of planning a confrontation with her that resulted in my shoving a bicycle chain bit in her mouth and then covering her with a tarp and beating the crap out of her). We would need witnessed proof. Dan said he saw her drug the horse to ride him, and talked about how she needed to have chains to lead this horse from his stall (this is the same horse that my 3 year old nephew leads in from the pasture, by the way. Gentle as a lamb). But we have no physical proof, just her word against ours, and the fact that after all those months of training, our horse is ruined.
Well if this Dan person said he saw her then isn't that witnessed proof enough on top of the obviously distraut horse that you have in place of your previously happy baby. I am sorry I woudl do whatever I could and at the very least get the word out to everyone about this SOB.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Natalie, I am soooo sorry for Booker/ and for you...I know it is going to be a long haul but so hoping the LOVE/KINDNESS will some day over come what has happened to Booker...:hug8:

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
This is so sad. I can't even begin to imagine .... Booker may surprise you yet. Morgans are definitely resilient and with love and patience (you know, like birds LOL) he might be able to 'let it go'. Give him love and time to be a horse. He's very lucky to have you all. Best wishes.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Natalie,

He's not the first horse and he won't be the last, surely there are other people out there in the horse community who have had the same experience, you all need to file complaints and lawsuits. Plus you can save all the future Bookers from this evil woman.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Natalie,

He's not the first horse and he won't be the last, surely there are other people out there in the horse community who have had the same experience, you all need to file complaints and lawsuits. Plus you can save all the future Bookers from this evil woman.

Ginger
Ginger, It is almost like she is covering her @$$ by these remarks that Natalie has posted:
"We were APPALLED that she was telling people that was what we do with our horses. She also said that we forced our horses to wear bicycle chain bits (ANOTHER terrible, terrible thing), have shoes on all the time, and that we condoned her treatment of Booker."
Laying the foundation to say they were the ones to send her a horse that was already troubled do to their actions...:mad::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that poor poor horse..how terrible that he had to suffer at the hands of a so called reputable trainer..I hope she gets hers..glad he will always have a loving home with you tho Natalie

Status
Not open for further replies.