• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

giving medicine-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I am afraid gizmo is giong to hate me forever after all this medication. Is there anyone who succesfully has a good relationship with their bird and gives meds?
I try to hang with him for a while inbetween meds and give him treats and just talk with him, but he is getting more and more leary of me.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it may take some time but he should forgive you just be extra slow Percy forgave me after 2 months of shots twice a day give a treat before and after the meds and also at random times more often :hug8:

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
My birds have gone through meds a few times. They forgive. I try to give extra treats (like dried papaya which is great for immunity as long as it is sulfur free) more frequently.

Sunny's been on meds probably 6 times, and there was a 3 month stretch when she was almost 2 years old where she was on meds almost back to back. No one could figure out why she wouldnt get better, but finally found a drug that worked. Kupos been on them 3 times and the only time she EVER bites is when you try to give her meds... and she's forgiven me a thousand times over.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Suggestion to O.P.: One solution = Learn to gavage/crop feed properly/safely and then you should not have any problems giving meds to your bird(s) and they won't dislike you afterwards, not IME anyway.

Once you have learned this procedure then give an occasional treat of formula to your bird(s) every so often. Parrots will then usually remember the gavage instrument (I prefer the S.S. metal tubes) as only a source of food and not something to fear, again if the user is proficient at using same and if the bird is held properly while insertion is going on.

Last edited:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I had to medicate my CAG my syringe in the first months of our lives together (he was rehomed) and he, to put it nicely, hated the meds and syringe. I had to towel him (another no-no in his book) and go through this process twice a day for 2 weeks at a time, with a week break, for about the first 6 months he lived here. He still loves me :)

He would act funny for about an hour after each time we had to go through it, but I'd get him something he loved to eat and talked to him nicely as he pouted up in a high spot. He always got over it, and I must say I took it harder than him I think!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I recently had to medicate Max, my older Hahn's, twice a day for months, which included oral and nasal antibiotics. He still loves me :)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I had a Harlequin Macaw that HATED me to begin with....had to medicate him for a month twice a day....he became the most loving adorable one afterwards....worked for the better between us!:hug8:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am afraid gizmo is giong to hate me forever after all this medication. Is there anyone who succesfully has a good relationship with their bird and gives meds?
Cynthia I empathize with you. :hug8: It'll be alright, hang in there.

I have one that will hold a huge grudge. I might be able to get meds in once but then he's wise to the whole set up and I'm not getting near him for a few days until I regain his trust again. When I have had to medicate him I use a nebulizer (which he loves) and/or compounded flavored medicine on a favored food.

My other bird I have had to medicate twice a day for years. I make it a happy time for her and use an excited voice to keep it a positive experience and of course love on her when the deed is done.

Lafeber has a product called the Medi-Berry, it's like a Nutri-Berry. The Medi-Berry has ingredients that soak up the medicine. I have used these with good success as long as I get the medicine compounded and flavored. Then I only have to hide a very small amount of medicine and I get flavoring added that they really like such as Banana, Peanut or Tutti-Frutti. I'm not sure what a Tutti-Frutti is but my GW that has a bit of a sweet tooth really likes it. :huh:

Suggestion to O.P.: One solution = Learn to gavage/crop feed properly/safely and then you should not have any problems giving meds to your bird(s) and they won't dislike you afterwards, not IME anyway.

Once you have learned this procedure then give an occasional treat of formula to your bird(s) every so often. Parrots will then usually remember the gavage instrument (I prefer the S.S. metal tubes) as only a source of food and not something to fear, again if the user is proficient at using same and if the bird is held properly while insertion is going on.
As a relatively inexperienced bird person the thought of inserting a tube down the esophagus and into the crop of an active adult bird scares me to death. I'm thinking one mistake can kill the bird. Can one person do this procedure on a macaw (or any size adult bird) by themselves?

Last edited:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia

I am not sure I would recommend this to people. One most haven't ever done this before, and two if you aren't specific on age that this could be done, people will try it and then hurt their bird. This is a 4 yr old rehomed bird and he does take the meds when I towel him, but he hates towels. sadly...
I played peek a boo with him the other day and he thought that was fun. Since I have him in quarenteen I can't spend a lot of time with him so I feel he is getting the only horrible time with me.

Billie, I almost think we should do that with our Amazon. lol

thank you all for the encouragement. I will keep my hopes up. He is young.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I am not sure I would recommend this to people. One most haven't ever done this before, and two if you aren't specific on age that this could be done, people will try it and then hurt their bird. This is a 4 yr old rehomed bird and he does take the meds when I towel him, but he hates towels. sadly...
I played peek a boo with him the other day and he thought that was fun. Since I have him in quarantine I can't spend a lot of time with him so I feel he is getting the only horrible time with me.

Billie, I almost think we should do that with our Amazon. lol

thank you all for the encouragement. I will keep my hopes up. He is young.
Why not? You play with him at the end of the time with the others.....When in Quarantine is when you do spend more time with them to get to know them/watch them/ and understand the bird....to me that is the BEST time for a bird/You and he is not completing for attention/others in the room..JMHO:hug8:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
yes, but he is not in any main part of the house we are in. I guess I just don't spend as "much" time as I would like. Our Fifi spends an hour in bed with us at night and some of our birds are at the table whenever we are there. Gizmo can't do this yet. :mad:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Breakthrough

This is so great! I always try to get Gizmo to eat his meds without toweling him. I give him the chance to comply. So today I got him out and started my usual routine of talking to him and telling him blah blah blah and he opened his mouth and bit the syringe and drank it without spitting it out. I was so proud of him. He got a treat and lots of praise and snuggles. WOW. :dance4: :laughing12: :dance5:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block

"............. As a relatively inexperienced bird person the thought of inserting a tube down the esophagus and into the crop of an active adult bird scares me to death. I'm thinking one mistake can kill the bird. Can one person do this procedure on a macaw (or any size adult bird) by themselves? "
I know, that is what most bird keepers think or were made to believe by other people who were also "scared" or inexperienced or made to believe that way by those who just simply felt that most other people were not capable of doing so safely, so therefore they felt they personally would not promote the procedure. I have a bit more faith in people if the following "tools" are present: safe clean equipment, a positive attitude, a somewhat steady hand, a positive minded assistant (when needed), proper lighting (don't do it in the dark) and a good teacher's lessons in mind.

As I always have said Karen, one almost always needs to learn how to properly do this procedure from someone that knows what they are doing. Usually the teacher person is an avian vet or a very experienced breeder or even just someone who keeps birds who already (safely and confidently) uses the procedure when needed. I myself was never taught but learned entirely on my own. Call it luck or whatever but I have never killed or injured a bird using this procedure and I have used it hundreds & hundreds of times over the last 15 yrs. or so.

Usually with large birds like Macaws or large 'TOOs it takes one person to hold the body of the bird properly (after learning how) and one person to do the holding of the head/neck while the second person is also doing the insertion of the gavage instrument (after learning how) - depending on the particular bird of course, as sometimes some birds can be medicated or fed this way with only the owner doing everything - usually this applies to smaller birds like Pois or Pionus (etc.) or even most Greys, Amazons and the like. Tiels and similar can fairly easily be done by only the owner. If I was the teacher, I would have the student & helper (helper usually being an S.O. who lives with the owner) go thru the procedure many times with me on hand before I suggested they do it on their own or with only their helper present (to be safest).

Now if the patient was totally uncontrollable, totally freaked out, won't hold still kind of bird (with tons of energy/fight in him/her), then the procedure might even call for a third person to assist.

Now, even after all the above has been said, I still don't expect hardly anyone to run out to learn to do this procedure safely - simply because most bird keepers IME are negative minded when it comes to doing something like this and secondly, there are probably few teachers out there who are willing to teach it to them, mostly for fear that if the owner or assistant does do something wrong, then the teacher will be blamed unfairly.

To the positive minded, confident bird keepers, I suggest that you do learn (asap) this most valuable tool/procedure so that you will be able to help your bird in it's time of need (in your own home) without some vet possibly fleecing your pockets after they themselves do it and without the stress on the bird during the drive to the vet, the exam, etc. and not to mention the advantage of the human not having to endanger their own life while on the road going to the vet office, sometimes in inclement weather (etc.).

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have great relationships with all the birds I have had to given medicines to.

I mix the medicine with the mash I give them, or handfeeding formula, and feed it by spoon. They dont even notice the medicine.

Also gavage feeding really isnt that hard. And I recommend 2 people. One to restrain the bird in a towel, the other to crop feed. Most of the birds that I have crop fed, I didnt have to stick it all the way down into the crop, just 1/2 down the esophagus (just a bit of a ways past the wind pipe). ***Just realized PTBs went over crop feeding :)

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I know, that is what most bird keepers think or were made to believe by other people who were also "scared" or inexperienced or made to believe that way by those who just simply felt that most other people were not capable of doing so safely, so therefore they felt they personally would not promote the procedure. I have a bit more faith in people if the following "tools" are present: safe clean equipment, a positive attitude, a somewhat steady hand, a positive minded assistant (when needed), proper lighting (don't do it in the dark) and a good teacher's lessons in mind.

As I always have said Karen, one almost always needs to learn how to properly do this procedure from someone that knows what they are doing. Usually the teacher person is an avian vet or a very experienced breeder or even just someone who keeps birds who already (safely and confidently) uses the procedure when needed. I myself was never taught but learned entirely on my own. Call it luck or whatever but I have never killed or injured a bird using this procedure and I have used it hundreds & hundreds of times over the last 15 yrs. or so.

Usually with large birds like Macaws or large 'TOOs it takes one person to hold the body of the bird properly (after learning how) and one person to do the holding of the head/neck while the second person is also doing the insertion of the gavage instrument (after learning how) - depending on the particular bird of course, as sometimes some birds can be medicated or fed this way with only the owner doing everything - usually this applies to smaller birds like Pois or Pionus (etc.) or even most Greys, Amazons and the like. Tiels and similar can fairly easily be done by only the owner. If I was the teacher, I would have the student & helper (helper usually being an S.O. who lives with the owner) go thru the procedure many times with me on hand before I suggested they do it on their own or with only their helper present (to be safest).

Now if the patient was totally uncontrollable, totally freaked out, won't hold still kind of bird (with tons of energy/fight in him/her), then the procedure might even call for a third person to assist.

Now, even after all the above has been said, I still don't expect hardly anyone to run out to learn to do this procedure safely - simply because most bird keepers IME are negative minded when it comes to doing something like this and secondly, there are probably few teachers out there who are willing to teach it to them, mostly for fear that if the owner or assistant does do something wrong, then the teacher will be blamed unfairly.

To the positive minded, confident bird keepers, I suggest that you do learn (asap) this most valuable tool/procedure so that you will be able to help your bird in it's time of need (in your own home) without some vet possibly fleecing your pockets after they themselves do it and without the stress on the bird during the drive to the vet, the exam, etc. and not to mention the advantage of the human not having to endanger their own life while on the road going to the vet office, sometimes in inclement weather (etc.).
It would really help to take pictures of what you are using when doing this...so people can start to get an understanding...
Showing what different types (lengths) you use on different types of birds....
or do you use the same length on every bird?
I found these sites but would love to see what you are using:
http://www.avianweb.com/tubefeeding.html
Hand-feeding Methods & Tools
Thank you...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.