• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving medicine and soft perches

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Last Friday we took all our three lovebirds to the vet for a check up. For Momo and Mido it was their yearly check up. But with Umi we were concerned about he leg. She was barely using it and holding it up when she was sitting/resting.

We learned that Mido has worn out feet. This might have been a problemen from before he was with us. I'm trying to give him more soft materials to sit on. And switch his perches out more often.
Any other good advice?

Umi has arthrosis in her left ankle and knee. This might have been caused by the fact that her breastbone has been broken at one time. Her previous owner didn't do anything about it. So her body is a little crooked, why she might have over used her left leg. She will need fish oil for the rest of her life.
Do any of you have any experience giving daily medicine without causing to much stress? Any advice is very welcome!

Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Any other good advice?
My vet told me to wrap Adelies night perch with vet tape, to soften it for her. Maybe that could help? Or offer a natural rope or cotton perch to sleep on?

If you think the homemade cotton perches I make will help, let me know and I will make some and send them to you :tup:

Do any of you have any experience giving daily medicine without causing to much stress?
@Hankmacaw @taxidermynerd @webchirp @sunnysmom maybe have some tips..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My chicken has scoliosis, and she also has a deformed body. One thing to watch out for is how your bird interacts with food and water dishes. My hen has limited mobility and can't manage narrow feeding trays, but she can manage wide open dishes.

I know a chicken isn't the same species, but it may give you an idea of other ways to adapt for your bird. Make sure she has safe and easy access to water and food. Can she manage to get out of a water dish if she fell in for example. You may need to adjust the styles and types for the correct option.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO for the tiny birds (I have macaws that are large enough to handle) it is best to towel them when giving medications, As shown in this video.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
My vet told me to wrap Adelies night perch with vet tape, to soften it for her. Maybe that could help? Or offer a natural rope or cotton perch to sleep on?
Thank you! I've heard about the vetwrap. I'm definitely going to look into that!

If you think the homemade cotton perches I make will help, let me know and I will make some and send them to you :tup:
That is so sweet! I'll think about it!

One thing to watch out for is how your bird interacts with food and water dishes.
That is a very good point. Thank you!

IMO for the tiny birds (I have macaws that are large enough to handle) it is best to towel them when giving medications, As shown in this video.
Thank you! I usually towel my birds when giving medication. Also at the rescue where I work I have to do that often. But since I have to give it to her 2 times a day for the rest of her life I'm looking for a more friendly way. Like putting it in something edible. Like a tiny bit of formula or a tiny piece of bread or fruit. Something like that.
Do you or anyone else have experience with that?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Bitty gets about 7ml of meds which is a crap ton for a tiny guy so I put all of his on nutriberries.

Carlton can be given meds via a syringe with almond butter on the end. As he licks it, I slowly push out his enalapril. But he only gets .06 ml. A very tiny amount.

Giggie gets held in my hand and I drip a tiny drop in each time she swallows. I do follow up with omega oil as a treat. She loves it and will latch onto the syringe licking it.

Zephyr and Jewel get theirs on nutriberries also.

Amada will take her critical care formula with no problem but for meds I drip a little bit in and then tip her beak up to get her to swallow. Sometimes I run my finger gently down under her beak to encourage the swallow reflex.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oops .7ml not 7 ml Oiy

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I do follow up with omega oil as a treat
Interesting! That is what I have to give Umi as a medicine for the rest of her life. That gives me hope she might like it one day!

All very good tips. Thank you so much!!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Interesting! That is what I have to give Umi as a medicine for the rest of her life. That gives me hope she might like it one day!

All very good tips. Thank you so much!!
I have some that love it and some that do not. But the ones that do, look out. I can’t leave that bottle sit anywhere as Zephyr will steal the caps to lick them clean and then chew them up because he is a boy cheekie turd.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson

Its hard for me to give my budgie meds as you can tell in this video she completely missed , you need to control the birds neck . let them bite it control neck and go slow make sure they swallow tilt head back , and of people go in from the side let it run down the top beak but when it’s 0.1 of meds I like to put it directly in

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use natural baby food (no additives) for Secret's medicines. There's multiple threads on here about it.

Currently she's stuck on green peas, loves them. A tiny bit of that in a tiny dish, make a hole with toothpick and put the meds in there. What she doesn't eat, I roll a pellet in to get it all.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I use natural baby food (no additives) for Secret's medicines. There's multiple threads on here about it.

Currently she's stuck on green peas, loves them. A tiny bit of that in a tiny dish, make a hole with toothpick and put the meds in there. What she doesn't eat, I roll a pellet in to get it all.
Yes but I’m dealing with the pickiest budgie in the world he Scared of anything new and even his favorite stuff can’t be sure when if he’s gonna eat it can’t put it on millet

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Baby food is inexpensive, still, I take 1/2 bottle and put it in a snack bag, push it flat, then freeze it. You can break off a tiny portion at a time.

Try giving her a tiny bit on a spoon. They love the attention.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Walter has arthritis and I vet wrapped almost all of his perches. It made a huge difference. I also line is floor with paper towels to create a soft bed which he sleeps on at night. When we first started I had to do stretching exercises with his feet. In the beginning I had to towel him to complete these exercises but with all the positive experiences around the toweling I don't even need a towel anymore. Perhaps if you make the toweling fun after the medicine, he might start to enjoy it. It has also made Walter less stressed when the vet towels him for his trims and check up.