• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Giving budgie medicine... again

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
So, one of my budgies wasn’t very well and I took her to the vets. I’ve been prescribed 2 medicines and have been told I can give her them in her food if it’s too hard to syringe feed her. She’s been eating her pellets and her spinach from my hand after I’ve put the medicine in/on the food however she’s been getting more suspicious and refused to eat a bit of apple with it on after tasting it. I’ve just gotten her to the point where she’ll hop on my head and shoulders and Im worried that syringe feeding her twice a day for a week will have her lose trust in me. I’m only home for a few more days until Saturday then I go back to uni after which my mum and sister will take over. I syringe fed her it with the help of my mum this evening and gave her some millet afterwards and she seems okay with us I’m just worried that after a few days of repeated feeds she’ll start not trusting us. Any tips or experiences?

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Also to add to my question - is adding the medicine to pellets (Harrison’s superfine) a good enough alternative to the syringe?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Adding any medication to food or water will not give you exact dosing. How will you know if this bird is getting the correct amount? If its liquid the better way is to use a syringe. Most of us have gone through this at one time or another with a small bird. Yes, they don't like it but will forgive you when its over. I had to do this for 30 some days with a budgie and it was not easy.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Mt experience agrees with what @Lady Jane wrote above. I had to give one of my budgies medicine from a syringe for about 3 weeks recently. Yes, I did lose trust with him. After we finished the medication cycle, I just behaved around him like I did before the treatment. It took about 3 weeks but he's reacting to me like he did before giving him medicine. And yes, he's healthy now.