• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Give Me Some Idea's

ConureGuy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paul
So recently I've introduced chop to Kylo and Skittles the usual stuff I include in it is,

Watercress, Kale, Bell Peppers (Red, Green and Yellow for colour texture) Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Apple, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash,

But I'm wanting to add more stuff to it to increase the nutritional value for my feathered friends so please feel free to add to it,

Thank you :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
to increase the nutritional value
You could offer less apple, and more mango or berries.
Swap cucumber, or only put a small amount and offer something with more nutrition (cucumber is mostly water).

I think this will be helpful for you;

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Following because I need ideas too.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
you could add some legumes, quinoa, wild rice, whole grain pasta, sprouts, radishes, kale, collard greens, spinach, carrots, broccoli,

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chillis Mojo loves her chillis,sugersnap peas,green beans,cauliflower.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
My tiel loves Thai chili peppers.

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul
You could offer less apple, and more mango or berries.
Swap cucumber, or only put a small amount and offer something with more nutrition (cucumber is mostly water).

I think this will be helpful for you;
In terms of apple they don't get a lot of it when I made up the chop I only added a small bit to it the same as the cucumber,

I'm still new to this whole making chop for birds thing so lerning as I go with it,

Also I will be sure to give that a read thank you Zara.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cucumber is excelent for hydration if we get a really hot day i always add some to that days chop.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sugar snap peas, carrots, chunks of celery and cukes on hot days, fresh herbs are a welcomed. Edible flowers and as many varieties of greens as you can offer. I save the fruit for training.

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Zucchini/summer squash, chard. My birds really love fennel, the frond mostly, although they'll also eat pieces of the bulb if I slice it pretty fine.

They've also liked beets the couple of times I've offered them - golden, not red. My understanding is whatever makes the beet red also makes the droppings red and I don't need to come in and see what looks like the aftermath of a slasher film first thing in the morning. If that isn't likely to freak you out, I understand red are also fine.

Another way to do it is, if you cook or share living space with someone who does, take a look at what's on the menu and then check whether any of the ingredients are safe for birds. So, if you're making stuffed peppers, your birds will be happy to help you minimize the waste by taking the seed core of your hands. If you get carrots with the tops still on, divert one (including the tops, my birds love them) for the birds.

Of course, if it's been a day and you're heading directly to the chocolate mousse (just me, then? okay), then no. But if you've got fresh fruits and vegetables in the kitchen anyway, that's an easy place to start.

LovieLouie

My crew love cilantro and parsley, as well as fennel and mint. I received a small bunch of lavender from my avian vet, and Queenie sleeps in the bundle rather than eats it but she’s a weirdo.
do you freeze the cilantro, mint, and parsley I Find I wind up throwing a decent amount of it out because I don’t go through it quick enough. Also do you put it in their chop or just offer a bunch tied to the cage??
thanks!

LovieLouie

Chillis Mojo loves her chillis,sugersnap peas,green beans,cauliflower.
Do you usually give these to her cooked or raw?? Been giving my bird green beans raw just cooked some today so I’ll find out if he likes them cooked tomorrow lol

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you usually give these to her cooked or raw?? Been giving my bird green beans raw just cooked some today so I’ll find out if he likes them cooked tomorrow lol
Give her them all raw