• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Give me reasons

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I have done a lot of research (binge watching YouTube and reading all the eclectus threads).Give me all the reasons not to get an eclectus. I’m thinking on getting one but I need to know why not .:ekkiem:

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How long have you lived with/owned birds so far?
Are you still fairly new to them?

I actually get totally unprompted offers to baby sit my budgie, everyone thinks he’s adorable but as much as people love to see Burt and dance with birdie no one wants to be responsible for them or have to deal with them.
Big birds can be intimidating or simply too much stress, noise and beak to handle for many animal lovers who’d generally volunteer to take on temp care of any animal.
I only know of one or maybe two people who might consider very short term care for my large guys if I was ever to need some time away from home and they’d only do it so I’d owe them for their large birds who they can’t get sitters for.
Boarding birds is not cheap and you honestly never know what things can pop up causing you to have to be away for a few days.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Because your quaker just passed away? It might have had an illness that the germs are still sticking around ...some things can persist in the environment fir months both bacteria like chlamydia and many of the viruses. This would worry me..its vest to wait a few months clean everything, replace ac/ air filters, and vacuum filters. Toss brooms, bleach dust pans and mops. Steam clean furniture and carpets. Toss any soft toys and perches and bleach everything you are keeping. Clean every single bar of the cage.

Have a certified avian vet for any new parrots.

Ekkies have very special diet needs. Most recommended is nearly an all fresh diet , very little seeds, most recommended no pellets.
Very prone to plucking , and toe tapping ( believed to be related to diet) beak overgrowth and liver issues again thought to be linked with diet.

Most are not that into cuddling. But still lovely companions that enjoy interacting with their people.

pubbykid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
vincent
I have done a lot of research (binge watching YouTube and reading all the eclectus threads).Give me all the reasons not to get an eclectus. I’m thinking on getting one but I need to know why not .:ekkiem:
I only have first-hand experience with ladies, but overall diet is the hardest part !!! I know everyone says that but I have to get my girl TOPs and TOPs only or she starts toe tapping and wing flipping. they also arent very affectionate birds, if you want a bird that wants to be pet or handled a lot ekkies are not for you ! they like to sit and watch or perch next to you or just do their own thing in the room they are almost solitary in the wild and this translates to the home as well. most ekkies have a pretty low training drive (and due to their more aloof nature are terrible free flight candidates if that's something you're interested in), so any tricks or really anything past stepping up, recall, and stationing can be challenging. usually ekkies are pretty quiet but when they want to be loud they are /loud/ my girl is one of the loudest birds I've met and if I'm late feeding her dinner or we have to be in a car for more than half an hour she is non stop screaming so make sure that's something you can handle, videos do not do their screams justice lol idk what it is but its very different hearing it in person. female ekkies also tend to be pretty territorial, my girl has even taken over my friends bird's cage when he was watching her for a week and tried to kick my friend's cockatoo out ! they are definitely more so one bird at a time birds unless you have a ton of time for that specific socialization on top of regular desensitization and socialization training.
I think that ekkies are lovely (as is why I have one) but they are definitely not for every bird lover !!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Since you are specifically asking why not to get an ekkie. I would say diet.

Making mistakes with an Eclectus diet is a major contributor to serious health issues. They are obligated fruit and veg eaters. If you are serious about ekkies, I would try and get experience with someone who knows the ins and out of their diet. Their diet is unique amongst companion parrots and it will be unlike what your cockatiel or Bourke parrot eat (assuming your image is of your birds :) ).

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Since you are specifically asking why not to get an ekkie. I would say diet.

Making mistakes with an Eclectus diet is a major contributor to serious health issues. They are obligated fruit and veg eaters. If you are serious about ekkies, I would try and get experience with someone who knows the ins and out of their diet. Their diet is unique amongst companion parrots and it will be unlike what your cockatiel or Bourke parrot eat (assuming your image is of your birds :) ).
I agree the diet is the hardest. I find there's also individual differences so what you might feed one eckie it doesn't work for second one. Mine can't do much fruit at all. One serve of different fruit a day is all he can handle or we have an unhappy bird.