• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Girl or boy

ABM

Strolling the yard
and that's 100%?
Or is there still room for change

I'm thinking of getting company for her... And do not want to get into breeding. But at the same time two females are not advisable is that correct?

I'm new to having birds this is my first bird.
Thanks in advance!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
and that's 100%?
Or is there still room for change

I'm thinking of getting company for her... And do not want to get into breeding. But at the same time two females are not advisable is that correct?

I'm new to having birds this is my first bird.
Thanks in advance!
If you're looking to get another budgie as a companion for your little girl budgie, yes a male budgie will be your best bet for them to get along, but keep in mind, there's never a guarantee that any two birds will get along for sure. And even if you do end up getting a male and they become "mates" and they do breed, it doesn't mean you'll necessarily have an issue with her laying eggs. Make sure you don't provide nesting areas, or things like snuggle huts etc. that tend to make birds even more hormonal and likely to nest. If she does lay eggs, just simply remove them and toss them in the trash, or boil them and give them back to her once they are boiled that way you can avoid having any baby budgies. There are many threads on this forum that provide great information on budgie egg laying and how to best prevent egg laying if it ever became an issue.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Thanks a ton!

Now the challenge is to get a baby male.... Since it's tough to figure out when they are as young as 2 months.

Picture of 2 months vs now..
Picture

Last edited:

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could get an adult or better yet, adopt that way you could know the gender for sure

Reactions: ABM

ABM

Strolling the yard
Yes. Will defenitely look into that.

Is age difference between birds and issue in any way? In the sense if one bird is much older or younger than the other.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, it is sometimes. Ripshod knows about which gender & age combinations work.

ABM

Strolling the yard
So is she due for a nail trim? I'll need to take her to a vet or petstore

Nails

Nail video

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vet techs do the best nail trim over an employee that was trained by another employee in a pet store. Best to get another budgie in the same age range. A baby could very well irritate the pretty lady you have.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Vet techs do the best nail trim over an employee that was trained by another employee in a pet store. Best to get another budgie in the same age range. A baby could very well irritate the pretty lady you have.
Thanks!
So is a few months +/- in age difference ok?