• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gigi lost her cancer battle Friday. I need help/suggestions on honoring her etc

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
UR post is NOT rambling at all.. I feel so bad for you.. Most of us bird people have gone thru a loss also, and there is no 'quick fix'.

Q-- is she wrapped and in your freezer for now? I hope you find something appropriate to place her in.
To ALL the bird toy makers on the Avenue-- maybe you need to stock something like that?
Thank you for your kind post. I have been pretty much a mess since Friday and I had a hard time writing. Glad it came out ok! But I figured this board would understand the pain I am feeling. And it only being 3 days ago, well, you know. I have lost other special birds in the past but this one is just so much harder. Caring for her so intently over the last three years added to it.

Yes, she is in the fridge. It was so hard to do but I forced myself to do that until the box arrives. My mother bought a cedar urn for her. I may use it temporarily and still look for something more personal. Hoping to hear more ideas.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
When Walter passed, my daughter (who is an artist) drew me a lovely painting of Walter on a round piece of a tree (similar to his favorite flat perch). My husband drilled a small hole on top and we placed one of Walter's feathers in the hole. It sat in Walters cage until I took the cage down and now it has a special place where I can look at it often. Perhaps you can have something like that done. I also love the framed feather idea (which I should have done). We buried Walter under a tree (perhaps you could find a tree in a park or cemetery or ask the landlord (or a friend) if you could plant a tree in her honor. (or even donate to have a tree planted in the rainforest)

I am so sorry for your loss as I can't imagine going through that kind of treatment for 3 years and then nothing. :sorrow:
A painting would be cool. I am also liking the feather frame idea. I also have not yet taken her cage down and dont know when I will be able. Her older sister Chicken keeps going in there looking for her too. Even slept in her teepee. Its heartbreaking. But when Chicken was in Gigi’s cage it gave me a sense of calm. I can see how you felt with having your birds feathers displayed like that in the cage.

And yes going through such a long treatment with her and now losing her is really tough. Caring for her everyday and now nothing has been very hard too. But I am grateful for the extra time I got with her.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Sorry for your loss. I cannot pretend I have a good advice for dealing with these things but I think it is good you have her sibling for keeping yourself busy. Of course each bird is unique and noone replace anyone, but eventually I wish that you find some peace of mind in taking care of the ones still with you. I wish you and the other birds the best.
Thank you. Yes I take comfort in having two of her siblings. One whose cage was right next to hers for 12 years is having a really tough time too. Chicken is now almost glued to me daily and its like we are grieving Gigi together.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I am so sorry… :sadhug:

a couple of years ago, someone lost their bird and they had a painting done of it on glass I think it was, and then had a light put in behind it. It was absolutely beautiful. Was being used as centerpiece on mantle or table I think…. I can’t remember if it was in this forum or on the parrotlet forum. I can’t remember who it was, if it was here maybe someone will remember…

I was also just doing a search on google for memorial ideas for pet birds, and one was a holographic image of the bird set in a square crystal. I assume the crystal also would have a light source to it. I have one of an eagle that a friend gave me years ago…hope this helps with some ideas….hard to catch a photo of it as the colors keep changing…
Oh wow that is stunning! I would love to have something like that of her! I will have to look into this.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I am sorry for your loss :sorrow:
I've tried to keep feathers from all my budgies, and I keep them in a photo album with their names by them.
With my last two budgies I lost I also did a drawing of each of them, and I put some of Opal's feathers in a necklace that has a little jar on it. I've considered adding LJ's to the jar too so I can have both.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. There are some great artists on Etsy that will do memorial portraits, etc. I have paintings done of my birds on Christmas ornaments too.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I am very sorry for your loss. There are some great artists on Etsy that will do memorial portraits, etc. I have paintings done of my birds on Christmas ornaments too.
@AGS does portraits on instagram

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So very sorry for your loss :sadhug2: :sorrow:

EonWolf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
A painting would be cool. I am also liking the feather frame idea. I also have not yet taken her cage down and dont know when I will be able. Her older sister Chicken keeps going in there looking for her too. Even slept in her teepee. Its heartbreaking. But when Chicken was in Gigi’s cage it gave me a sense of calm. I can see how you felt with having your birds feathers displayed like that in the cage.

And yes going through such a long treatment with her and now losing her is really tough. Caring for her everyday and now nothing has been very hard too. But I am grateful for the extra time I got with her.
I found pouring my effort and skill into making the painting I did for my mom really helped me feel a lot more at peace about Walter’s loss. Maybe working with your skills to do something will work for you too? It doesn’t have to be art, but I’d pick something that is already an interest of yours.
Additionally, there’s something nice about seeing Dragon (my CBC) use and bring new life and love to Walter’s old perches, (even if they are a little big). It’s the feeling of knowing that he wouldn’t have wanted his perches or toys to get dusty, so letting them bring joy and enrichment to another would undoubtedly make Walter tail-waggle in approval.

Still, loss is hard. Just find what works to help you feel better, and don’t be afraid to take time. :sorrow:

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
So sorry for your loss. Gigi put up a courageous battle and you gave her the best life possible for her right to the last.

Maybe you have a friend or a relative who has a yard of their own where Gigi could be buried. I live in an apartment but my brother has a home in the country with a large yard and a pretty little brook running along the back. That's where my two parrots who passed away are buried now.

The framed feather arrangements are a nice memorial to our parrots who have passed away, and a good, creative use for molted feathers from the ones who are still with us. I've done that with feathers from the two parrots I've lost, George (YCA) and Scooter (CAG) and with feathers molted by QP Ralph, who is still with me.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

When I lost my Chirp, I put together something of a shrine or altar for him. It has a painting of him that Chewy sent him, his favorite perch, a small budgie toy that @finchly sent us a long time ago and a scrapbook she made for him, a couple of favorite toys of his, an ornament of him made by @Peachfaced , a frame of many of his feathers including his cheek spots, and his ashes. It's all on a shelf lined with fabric from the same piece as I cut his shroud from.

We also paid for the crematory to take his footprints in clay, and I kept the condolences card from the vet team.

I also have a box of all his favorite toys, the rare few he chewed on, the ones he gave kissies to, and a copy of the swing he was sitting on when I first met him.

If you're looking for something more proactive, you can contact your vet or a local rescue if you have one, to see if you can donate any things you don't want. I did that with all of the perishables. Half-used medication, unused chop, foods that were specific to him, the vet took it all off my hands and got them to people who could use them.
Wow that is an amazing memorial you made for your bird, Very good ideas. I do,have a lot of Gigi’s feathers that I saved over the years. I also saved a lot of the little shreds of paper she loved to make. I havent been able to take her cage down yet, just cleaning out the paper at the bottom was difficult. I wasnt even able to throw all of it away as some has her tiny chew marks on it. It sounds so crazy but that is how deep the grief is I am feeling.

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing memorial ideas.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
Yes I may look into that. I also found an urn on there where they print a portrait of your pet on it.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
So sorry for your loss. Gigi put up a courageous battle and you gave her the best life possible for her right to the last.

Maybe you have a friend or a relative who has a yard of their own where Gigi could be buried. I live in an apartment but my brother has a home in the country with a large yard and a pretty little brook running along the back. That's where my two parrots who passed away are buried now.

The framed feather arrangements are a nice memorial to our parrots who have passed away, and a good, creative use for molted feathers from the ones who are still with us. I've done that with feathers from the two parrots I've lost, George (YCA) and Scooter (CAG) and with feathers molted by QP Ralph, who is still with me.
My parents have a house near me and I am considering burial there. She was hatched there and spent two years of her life there so that is an option. Its either that or placing her in an urn. I am having a difficult time with this particular loss just because of how much she was a part of my everyday with her cancer care. I think I will definitely do the framed feathered idea. Her tail feathers are the most gorgeous white and peach.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
I found pouring my effort and skill into making the painting I did for my mom really helped me feel a lot more at peace about Walter’s loss. Maybe working with your skills to do something will work for you too? It doesn’t have to be art, but I’d pick something that is already an interest of yours.
Additionally, there’s something nice about seeing Dragon (my CBC) use and bring new life and love to Walter’s old perches, (even if they are a little big). It’s the feeling of knowing that he wouldn’t have wanted his perches or toys to get dusty, so letting them bring joy and enrichment to another would undoubtedly make Walter tail-waggle in approval.

Still, loss is hard. Just find what works to help you feel better, and don’t be afraid to take time. :sorrow:
That is a great way of looking at it, Gigi would probably want the same. Although she was super territorial of her cage lol

I used to make art a long time ago. I know I have an artistic bend so I think I may do something with her feathers.

Thank you for your kind words and great ideas!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear about your baby. A friend of mine recently lost her macaw. Over the year she kept his tail feathers and had them made into a fan that she put on her wall. If you've kept any of the feathers, maybe something small like that to remember her by would help.

Gigi’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brenda
So sorry to hear about your baby. A friend of mine recently lost her macaw. Over the year she kept his tail feathers and had them made into a fan that she put on her wall. If you've kept any of the feathers, maybe something small like that to remember her by would help.
I saved a lot of her feathers over the years and am thinking of doing something like that.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Planting a flowering tree like a dogwood over her?

Putting up a nest box for wild cavity nester in her name? Wild cavity nester around the globe have a shortage of suitable nest spots. Seeing all the babies getting born in her name would be a wonder dedication to her life.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I am so sorry… :sadhug:

a couple of years ago, someone lost their bird and they had a painting done of it on glass I think it was, and then had a light put in behind it. It was absolutely beautiful. Was being used as centerpiece on mantle or table I think…. I can’t remember if it was in this forum or on the parrotlet forum. I can’t remember who it was, if it was here maybe someone will remember…

I was also just doing a search on google for memorial ideas for pet birds, and one was a holographic image of the bird set in a square crystal. I assume the crystal also would have a light source to it. I have one of an eagle that a friend gave me years ago…hope this helps with some ideas….hard to catch a photo of it as the colors keep changing…
Maybe you were thinking of this artist? She paints on just about anything - glass, leather, pretty stones... Phenomenal work. I think a few people on this forum have commissioned her before.

feathers and fur portraiture.png

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe you were thinking of this artist? She paints on just about anything - glass, leather, pretty stones... Phenomenal work. I think a few people on this forum have commissioned her before.

View attachment 422974
I have used her. Her work is impeccable.