• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GIANT white feather?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hello everyone!
My green cheek conure is about a year old now. Since I’ve had him he’s had a single white/yellowish stubby feather at the base of his tail, it seems to be growing but at an extraordinarily slow speed and seems to be fluffy and life it’s growing right out of this skin (never seen or felt a covering around it). It also hasn’t seemed to ever fallen out or grown back. It’s very thick but he doesn’t seem to mind me touching it!

It’s just so weird because it’s the only white, short, stubby, and fluffy feather in his tail feathers. Actually, I don’t think there’s another like it on his entire body!

He’s molted a couple times and didn’t seem to have any problems (*knock on wood) so I’m just curious if any one knows what it is!

Uploaded a picture of it from above but couldn’t get a picture of the base!

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is it possible that it is your birds preening gland?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
CF195099-CD17-45BA-A95A-9A4D52762434.jpeg

This is a pic of my birds preening gland :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Hello everyone!
My green cheek conure is about a year old now. Since I’ve had him he’s had a single white/yellowish stubby feather at the base of his tail, it seems to be growing but at an extraordinarily slow speed and seems to be fluffy and life it’s growing right out of this skin (never seen or felt a covering around it). It also hasn’t seemed to ever fallen out or grown back. It’s very thick but he doesn’t seem to mind me touching it!

It’s just so weird because it’s the only white, short, stubby, and fluffy feather in his tail feathers. Actually, I don’t think there’s another like it on his entire body!

He’s molted a couple times and didn’t seem to have any problems (*knock on wood) so I’m just curious if any one knows what it is!

Uploaded a picture of it from above but couldn’t get a picture of the base!

Thanks everyone!
Yep. That's the preen feather. It acts as a wick for the preen gland.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Yep. That's the preen feather. It acts as a wick for the preen gland.
I was about to claim Dexter does nt have a preen feather.... But it wouldn't be obvious on the giant white bird, would it? :rofl:

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Oh my gosh, WOW. I feel really dumb now! I like to think that I know a good amount about birds, but seriously! Never even thought about this being the preening gland!

Thanks everyone! Always clarifying silly things for me! :lol: