• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting your budgie to eat veggies!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Hi everyone!

I wanted to post to share my personal experience and give everyone some tips for getting a bird (more specifically budgies) to eat veggies.

One of my fids, a little lutino lady called Woody, had been kept on a 100% seed diet for 2 years of her life! This was before I got her and actually did some research into budgies and their needs. I took Woody on and kept feeding her seeds. Then I found AA. I immediately realised that I had been doing everything wrong! It was a big learning curve for me. Woody immediately got a house upgrade to a ginormous white cage, she got a beautiful natural wood playground, a fid friend and a change of diet! I also spent waaaay more time with her than I had ever done before.

Anyway, it took lots of trials to get Woody (who was REALLY used to seed) to eat veg. My three tips are:

• Experiment with different veggies and fruits. For Woody, it was her beloved kale that made her adore all veg. Maybe your bird will take a liking to apple or carrot and become more adventurous in trying other new foods.
  • Keep offering! :) Don’t be disheartened if your bird doesn’t try the foods. It's like someone cooking a meal you’ve never seen or tasted before and expecting you to tuck in straight away!
  • Change your serving methods! Make it chopped! Make it frozen! Make it blended! Switch your techniques around until you find a method your bird likes!
I wanted to publish this on the forum to show people that it is possible to get your birb to eat veggies-even if they’ve been entirely on a seed diet for ages!

Thanks, and I hope you all find this helpful!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Those are some good tips :)

Other good ideas are;
- Offering the veggies first thing in the morning
- sprinkling a pinch of seed on the top to entice the bird to try
- Laying the veggies out on a (human) plate and letting the birds ¨steal¨ the food - They like that! :rolleyes:

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
My budgie girl loves dipping into my plate and stealing a snippet of leafy greens when she thinks I'm not looking. What a sneaky sweetheart! :heart: :rolleyes: