• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting used to physical human contact

caitiekr

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlyn Kruger
hi there, newbie to Linnies.

i brought Peewee home nearly 3 weeks ago now. she's settled in amazingly in that time. she's chatty, goes bezerk in the mornings when i uncover the cage, and is very eager to get out and sit about nattering. i would say that she is 'tame' because she eats from my hand and steps onto a wooden perch when i hold it in front of her.

i do know that Linnies tend to be hand shy, but she seems even scared to go near my arm when its covered in a towel. what are some tips that i can practise with her? i'm fully aware that i need to take things at her pace, which i have been doing - she made the first move when it came to bolting out of the cage for apple, so i think she is very willing to try :p i would love for her to feel confident enough to come and sit on or near me in the future so i can involve her things around the house.

she's truly brightened the last 3 weeks of my life :glinnie::swoon:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It sounds like you're doing well. Three weeks is a pretty short period of time really. I would keep trying to hand feed her. You can also try teaching her target training. Barbara Heidenreich and Pamela Clarke are 2 good training resources.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Agreed, three weeks is not much in Linnie time! Have you tried your arm without a towel? I would work without one, not sure why you'd need one unless she attacks you or something, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. It's great you've taught her to step onto a dowel! I think that's something every bird should know. That said, I have two linnies that refuse to do that, will you come teach them for me :)

caitiekr

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlyn Kruger
Agreed, three weeks is not much in Linnie time! Have you tried your arm without a towel? I would work without one, not sure why you'd need one unless she attacks you or something, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. It's great you've taught her to step onto a dowel! I think that's something every bird should know. That said, I have two linnies that refuse to do that, will you come teach them for me :)
I think that its the idea of it being my skin is a bit scary for her. someone suggested the towel method to me, but to be honest I would rather just give her the time she needs to get used to touching me. and she'll step up onto anything! a pen, lip balm tube... as long as it isn't my finger then we're all good!!:joyful:

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Oh I see. Well every bird is different, the towel could've been the holy grail! Lip balm? That is hilarious. So you could strap it on top of your finger, maybe she'd get on :D