• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting used to a new cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
I need to know how to get Peanut used to the new cage which we are getting Saturday. Any ideas? :confused:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
most of mine don't care about change so they just hop right in lol

but the best way to do it is sit it beside his normal cage with the door open let him explore it and his normal cage, then mid day- evening add a few of his toys (favorites if he has any) to the new cage from the old cage

if he won't go exploring an empty cage - hang up a piece of millet usually gets em' curious lol

then just gradually as he shows more interest in the new cage move his stuff over to it and then when his normal cage is bare - remove it from sight

But usually tiels take change pretty well ALl of mine have I just remove all their stuff from the "old" cage into the new cage then put them in the new cage and they go on about their business like nothing ever changed

hsmoscout

Well, Peanut HATES change, so I may just have to throw him in there! :rofl:

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I just got new cages for the all the fids and had a limited amount of time to get them set up and the old cages out due to the cages and family arriving for a visit within one day of each other. I didn't have time to do what I have done in the past, which was do it gradually, placing new cage next to the old cage, etc. There was no way I could fit all 8 cages (4 new, 4 old) in the bird room. I ended up setting up a cage with that bird on a playstand, washed the toys, bowls etc and then tried to put perches, toys, etc in approximately the same place as in the old cage. Once that cage was done I put the bird in the new cage with extra treats, dragged the old cage outside for later clean up and then started with the next bird/cage. All 4 didn't have any issues, they ate the treats first then set out to explore the new space. I think birds adapt well to new situations, and change is good for them. Keeps it fun and interesting. Good luck with Peanut! Can't wait to see the new cage.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I would make sure you put in his favorite toys, perches or what ever he is used to, to make him comfortable. Some birds that are surrendered with out cages, I make sure that they have the same routine they are used to for a while as well as their favorite toys so there are some familiar objects.
Good Luck!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
just let him explore it on his own.. Put all his favorite things in there.. My guys don't react to cage changes at all, lol! whereever there's food..

hsmoscout

Thanks everyone. Hopefully he won't be too freaked out of the new cage, especially if I use my secret weapon...wood. Peanut LOVES toys where he can chew up tons of wood!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky does not like change either. When I got Squeeky his new cage a few months ago at first he was unsure about it. When we wiped it down and put it together I put him in there with the door open so he could explore but could leave it if he wanted. He was just looking around and exploring things but looked like he was on guard in the cage at first. What I did to get him adjusted to the change was to put all his toys in his new cage with the exact same setup as his old cage. Granted this cage was bigger so I was able to spread out the toys more. The first few days he only used the bottom of the cage and was timid to climb around or use the top half. After those first couple of days he got used it and now he loves his new mansion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.