• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting untamed bird back in his cage

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
Hi all. This is the third or fourth time Charlie has come out of his cage and it is a struggle every time to get him to go back. At the moment he is on top of the curtain poles and we have been trying to get him down for about 3hrs. We’ve been spacing out trying to get him down so we don’t frighten him. What are some ways to get him to come down without frightening him? He is parent reared and still doesn’t like hands very much. We have been trying to get him with a soft tea towel but he just runs along the curtain pole or flys off and lands further down it. We have also tried holding a perch out to him, luring him with his favourite treat, and even pulling the curtain to make a walkway all the way back to his cage but nothing has worked.

He doesn’t have the best aim when flying and only ever grabs onto the curtains when he stops. He has a gym on the top of his cage which I tried to teach him was there today but instead of going up, he went down and then flew away. I really really need some help on this. Thank you x

Last edited:

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
At the moment he is on the curtain pole above his cage and I’m hoping that he’ll get tired or hungry and go back by himself. He does look very sleepy and has almost fallen asleep on the curtains a few times so I don’t think he’s going to go back because of that.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Turn off the lights. If you can make the room really dark like it's night time, or wait until it's dark out he'll be a lot easier to grab with a towel.

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
Yeah that’s what I was planning to do. The sun doesn’t go down until 8 tonight and because he’s on top of the curtain he’ll be able to see the light from outside lol. At the moment I’m just waiting it out to see if he’ll go back by himself. Fingers crossed. Thank you x

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
Turn the lights of so it’s datk then he’ll be easier to grab

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
From experience, if you dont need him in the cage at night, jus let him stay on the rod. Hes not gonna live out his life there, and maybe in the morning he will wake up with new confidence! If not, towel him, but dont let him see you, and work on step up and recall. I know thats hard, it took 8 months for Stormy to even step up to me. Best wishes!:sadhug2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
if you dont need him in the cage at night, jus let him stay on the rod
Unless the room is a bird-safe bird room, or an aviary, birds should be put back in their cage at night for their own safety.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I think that you should get a perch and get him to perch on it, and then put the perch back in the cage.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Unless the room is a bird-safe bird room, or an aviary, birds should be put back in their cage at night for their own safety.
Yea, srry i meant in a bird safe room. All rooms that the birds in should be bird proofed tho....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yea, srry i meant in a bird safe room. All rooms that the birds in should be bird proofed tho....
I believe that Zara is talking about the difference between a supervised bird-safe room versus an unsupervised bird-safe room. For example, in an unsupervised room you need to block all wall outlets that are not being used to keep toes and beaks from being put in them. If you are supervising the room, then it is not as necessary that they be completely blocked. Also, in an unsupervised room all electrical cords should be encased in some sort of tubing or covering so that the bird(s) do not try chewing on them.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I believe that Zara is talking about the difference between a supervised bird-safe room versus an unsupervised bird-safe room. For example, in an unsupervised room you need to block all wall outlets that are not being used to keep toes and beaks from being put in them. If you are supervising the room, then it is not as necessary that they be completely blocked. Also, in an unsupervised room all electrical cords should be encased in some sort of tubing or covering so that the bird(s) do not try chewing on them.
Sorry i got confused...

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for all your replies x I completely forgot to update you all! Charlie was (finally!) safely put back into his cage at 10pm :sleep:I got him to sit onto his food pot and lowered him very slowly down into his cage below him. Charlie is always supervised when he’s out of his cage and never in the room by himself and I don’t think I could sleep if I knew he was out all night.

Since my first post I have worked on getting him used to my hands and step up. He’s quite fussy when it comes to the texture of vegetables but someone advised me to try freeze dried veg and he loves it! I now use freeze dried peas (because they’re his favourite!) to encourage him to step onto my hand by having one in my palm. He does this now with almost no hesitation and I’ve only been doing is for about 2 weeks! I am slowly making it more advanced by making the pea further away and moving him from one end of his perch to the other. I am looking into getting a hand held t perch for when he comes out again so he has options if he gets “stuck” anywhere again and he doesn’t feel brave enough to go onto my hand.

Thank you all again!:hug8::tieln:

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Thank you for all your replies x I completely forgot to update you all! Charlie was (finally!) safely put back into his cage at 10pm :sleep:I got him to sit onto his food pot and lowered him very slowly down into his cage below him. Charlie is always supervised when he’s out of his cage and never in the room by himself and I don’t think I could sleep if I knew he was out all night.

Since my first post I have worked on getting him used to my hands and step up. He’s quite fussy when it comes to the texture of vegetables but someone advised me to try freeze dried veg and he loves it! I now use freeze dried peas (because they’re his favourite!) to encourage him to step onto my hand by having one in my palm. He does this now with almost no hesitation and I’ve only been doing is for about 2 weeks! I am slowly making it more advanced by making the pea further away and moving him from one end of his perch to the other. I am looking into getting a hand held t perch for when he comes out again so he has options if he gets “stuck” anywhere again and he doesn’t feel brave enough to go onto my hand.

Thank you all again!:hug8::tieln:
Your welcome!