• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting the mother out of the nest box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
I was going to take the older babies out yesterday, after talking to my vet over the phone, until I saw the father finally come out to get food and go back inside to feed them.
This morning I awoke to loud scary baby screams coming from the nest box, not normal hunger cries. I was able to peek through the hole and saw the older chicks who are now 12 days old fighting with the young ones and standing on them in order to get the food. I need to just pull them now and not try to wait any longer and before I lose any.

I've never had an issue getting the mother out of the nest box before but now she is sitting tight, no matter what I do. I've tried tapping on the box, cleaning her cage, moving toys around... I even got a trash bag and rattled it around in the room, she hates trash bags.
Tempted to just reach in and towel her, get the older ones out and let them raise the younger ones, but I am worried that it may cause too much stress on her and she could possibly hurt herself or her young in the process.

Could really use some suggestions.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
Disregard the last post, I got them. Crops were all empty. I watched for awhile and they went back in to be with the young ones. I'll have to make sure that they are being fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.