• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting rid of hair algae

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello,

Has anyone here successfully gotten rid of hair algae? I have it in my planted tank and it' driving my mad.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
That’s what grows off the leaves? My fiancé normally washes them off when he cleans our tanks. And that lasts us some time!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I never was successful with hair, but I've been adding a little peroxide to the tank, and I added a lot of Java... Moss and ferns both. They seem to be using the nutrients first, it might help.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you please show me a pic?

I can’t help in anyway but if it is the same as what I’m dealing with I could use any info you get. :)

clarousel

I never was successful with hair, but I've been adding a little peroxide to the tank, and I added a lot of Java... Moss and ferns both. They seem to be using the nutrients first, it might help.
My bacopas are thriving that I'm considering pulling some out! My ammonia went up a bit and I'm not sure if it's from switching fish food.

My betta, Feisty, just died yesterday although my oto is still alright. Really sad because I didn't pay much attention and only noticed he looked bad yesterday. :(

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
View attachment 352467
I think it's only growing on my slow growing plants and the non-live stuff.
Can you move your light source for a few days and add a little peroxide? I would play around with the height and change out your bulbs with a different color (redder if you have white/blue, blue if yours has more red) and see what happens. If your nutrients aren't too high, it's going to be a light quality/quantity issue. Your Otto won't appreciate heavy water changes, but it may be the key to getting your plants ahead of the algae.

clarousel

Can you move your light source for a few days and add a little peroxide? I would play around with the height and change out your bulbs with a different color (redder if you have white/blue, blue if yours has more red) and see what happens. If your nutrients aren't too high, it's going to be a light quality/quantity issue. Your Otto won't appreciate heavy water changes, but it may be the key to getting your plants ahead of the algae.
What kind of peroxide should I get? I've never used it before.

Yes, my light is currently on for 5 hours which has already been reduced from before. I'll try adjusting the height! My tank was really nice and 'clean' and then suddenly it's gone out of balance :(

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, you can increase the time. I bet it's a color or intensity issue rather than the time. Cancel that first suggestion. Bulbs tend to shift their color temperature as they age. Whatever is growing well is taking advantage of the conditions. It takes some research, but basically providing what they don't like as much will help you win the battle. I use regular 3% peroxide that you find near rubbing alcohol. I use 3 teaspoons in my 75 gallon. So 1 teaspoon per 25 gallons. Decreased light means more co2 in the tank, so more light with a little peroxide will boost oxygen. Always put it in a cup of tank water and add that across the surface. You can spot treat your wood by moving it to a bucket of water and add the peroxide at a much higher rate. You will know right away if it's sensitive to it...it bubbles just like it does in contact with bacteria or cuts. Too much will harm the slime coat of fish, and ottos are pretty sensitive to begin with, so err on the side of caution in the tank. If it doesn't bubble much on the algae in the bucket, stick with adjusting the light color and intensity and messing with the nutrients and ph instead. It won't hurt to use anyway, even if the algae doesn't react.

clarousel

Ah I didn't know that about bulbs! I've just shifting my lamp a bit higher.

I'll try the peroxide too and see if it works. My tank is tiny so I'll have to be really careful for the oto. The bubbling sounds really exciting :roflmao:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I don't know about in fish tanks but in ponds you use barley straw extract. It isn't a quick fix but regular addition will inhibit the growth.

clarousel

So I dropped peroxide directly on some algae I plucked off and no reaction.

I added it to my tank anyway so I'll see if there is any effect this week. I forgot to ask, what do I do next? I do weekly changes so that's gonna dilute the peroxide, but I don't want to be compiling the concentration either!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So I dropped peroxide directly on some algae I plucked off and no reaction.

I added it to my tank anyway so I'll see if there is any effect this week. I forgot to ask, what do I do next? I do weekly changes so that's gonna dilute the peroxide, but I don't want to be compiling the concentration either!
It dissipates pretty quickly. It's very unstable, and converts to oxygen and water as its bonds break. I add it once a week... I figure it's like taking Monaco out for sunshine. It's useful while it's happening, but it's not cumulative.
Play with the lightning and the nutrients. Your little Otto means nothing drastic, just little changes until you find the right combination.

clarousel

It dissipates pretty quickly. It's very unstable, and converts to oxygen and water as its bonds break. I add it once a week... I figure it's like taking Monaco out for sunshine. It's useful while it's happening, but it's not cumulative.
Play with the lightning and the nutrients. Your little Otto means nothing drastic, just little changes until you find the right combination.
Ah okay! Thank you so much! :)