• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting ready for adoption

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Thank you so much. Does she love vegetables? I have heard conures are not fond of them.
My gcc loves corn and will eat other veggies, but corn and (a small amount of) fruit are the first to go lol

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think they've weaned the babies with seeds and fruits (I know, it's very irritating and takes a lifetime to change it in a healthy diet). I am planning to change it gradually to pellets. Are CBCs stubborn like budgies? My budgies would rather die, but won't eat pellets. For my Inca, it's nearly two years, but he still doesn't take pellets as main food. At least I shifted him to sprouts and vegetables.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think they've weaned the babies with seeds and fruits (I know, it's very irritating and takes a lifetime to change it in a healthy diet). I am planning to change it gradually to pellets. Are CBCs stubborn like budgies? My budgies would rather die, but won't eat pellets. For my Inca, it's nearly two years, but he still doesn't take pellets as main food. At least I shifted him to sprouts and vegetables.
What pellet will you feed? And when will you pick your baby up? I would give the breeder some of the pellets to start on now before you’re ready to pick up. Really , what a shame they’re starting them off on fruit ( no food value) and seed. I don’t think they are stubborn. No CBC is as stubborn as I am when it comes to food choices. They eat what I want them to eat. Some veggies might take a while but eventually they come around. They still have their pellets available but no seed so it’s pellets or veggies. Seed treat only when I’m changing papers to keep loose birds busy and not fighting and a very limited quantity at that.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually buy zupreem for Inca. I want to get the baby home as early as possible, but my son is having his periodic test in school. So bringing a new member won't be possible for next one week (leads to serious attention deficit for studies :lol: ). If all goes well, we'll pick him/her up next Saturday.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippen gets excited any time we change her food dish or offer a treat. She just doesn't like the yellow Zupreem Conure pellets so when the dish is mostly yellow we change it out. She is also like Dobby my Maxi, she loves to dunk her food before eating it.
If she gets a favorite treat she starts dancing and goes weee weee weee as she eats it :xflove:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Please advice me how to that. I lost the fight with my budgie boys:wacky:
To start… you don’t spoil them with sugary foods and seed. If the new baby is only eating seed you will offer two bowls of food. One with pellets and one with a small portion of seed and decrease the quantity of seed each day. You have to keep an eye on how much of the pellets are eaten. Offer the veggies everyday. For your budgies… aren’t they primarily seed eaters? They might enjoy more fresh greens. I’m not very versed on budgie diets.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I usually buy zupreem for Inca. I want to get the baby home as early as possible, but my son is having his periodic test in school. So bringing a new member won't be possible for next one week (leads to serious attention deficit for studies :lol: ). If all goes well, we'll pick him/her up next Saturday.
How old is the baby? Make sure weaning is complete and eating other foods. Babies go through a lot of stress changing environments and leaving their siblings, familiar sounds, familiar humans. Caution to not overwhelm with a lot of activity when you bring him home.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is the baby? Make sure weaning is complete and eating other foods. Babies go through a lot of stress changing environments and leaving their siblings, familiar sounds, familiar humans. Caution to not overwhelm with a lot of activity when you bring him home.
Thanks, I'll remember that.