• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting ready for adoption

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We are planning about adding another fid to our flock. There are few criteria.we cannot include any dusty species,Inca's health to be considered. My dream bird is a mini macaw, but after two years of searching I have left all hope of finding one. My husband wants a conure, he is fond of them. Recently we have news about some crimson bellied conure babies from a breeder. So maybe next month we'll get a baby. In the meantime I am trying to study about the species. Please friends, help me with informations about them.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful and funny, but sometimes they can be nippy. As with any bird, this can be dealt with by having patience and appropriate training. Wikipedia has a pretty decent article about them in a very basic sense. Here is another good link for info on them.

PetKeen - Crimson Bellied Conure

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I know nothing about them but I am excited for you. :)
Good luck and I hope you can get one from the breeder.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pippen loves to nip and nibble so we have to be careful around her. She also loves scritches and will get wound up and want to beak which leads to nips while getting scritched. She has learned if I say gentle she's biting too hard and she'll back off and be more polite.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pippen loves to nip and nibble so we have to be careful around her. She also loves scritches and will get wound up and want to beak which leads to nips while getting scritched. She has learned if I say gentle she's biting too hard and she'll back off and be more polite.
Thank you so much. Does she love vegetables? I have heard conures are not fond of them.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful and funny, but sometimes they can be nippy. As with any bird, this can be dealt with by having patience and appropriate training. Wikipedia has a pretty decent article about them in a very basic sense. Here is another good link for info on them.

PetKeen - Crimson Bellied Conure
Thank you. Yes I have read it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thank you so much. Does she love vegetables? I have heard conures are not fond of them.
She likes apples, carrots, celery, loves banana and raisins.
And of course she loves junk food but triskets are a big hit.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Our GCC’s love veggies! All three of them get a bowl of veggies each morning. When they hear me chopping veggies they start flock calling because they know the good stuff is on the way.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update: just spoken to the breeder. He says the babies won't have their bright plumage till two years of age. Not that it's an issue, but i am curious, is it true? Rest are fine. The babies are completely weaned and likes vegetables.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have four crimson bellied and love them. I did raise them until 2009 when I quit breeding. I have two sisters that were in the same clutch… Ruby and Miss Scarlett. Ruby is my love bug - flies to me, most nights will stay on me while I change papers. In cooler weather wants to stay on my arm or on my shoulder with her beak pressed into the back of my ear. Summer she can be a non-stop pesky face, nose tip and neck licker… she loves that warm weather sweat. It can get a little annoying because she can be obsessive. Seed treats trump everything including visiting my male Casey. Miss Scarlette is a timid girl after all these years with me… even though I hand fed her and Ruby. She does step up for me - sometimes tries to avoid it but I persist and get that step up. Occasionally she will climb on my shoulder when I’m changing papers and she’s confident with being on me. She would prefer to visit with Casey. Both girls love to be with Casey for individual visits but have to be monitored because they both like to pluck feathers from him… especially new growth to chew on the fresh quill. I don’t like it and don’t allow it. Ruby plucks heavily under her wings and tops of her legs. Hardly noticeable unless she lifts her wings…she is an expert flyer and will come to me when I call her. Casey is a lazy flyer but since I moved “Bob” my black capped conure into the crimson room and slowly introduced him to Miss Scarlette for some mutual preening ( I was shocked it worked.. she can be such a meany)…. Casey has decided he can fly and makes several flights every evening to Scarlette’s cage out of jealousy. I place him back on his own cage to avoid fights with Bob. Bob has been with me for sixteen years and hasn’t had any interaction with another bird so I’m all too happy to give him the time with her until she gets too pinchy with his feet. So cute to see them glued together. Ruby wants nothing to do with Bob.. loves her time only with Casey and would kill her sister if she had a chance. My other male Rocket is a love bug for me. Hangs out every evening with Astro-female GCC… he invades her cage -eats her food- bangs her toys… neither one will touch each other. Platonic friendship… she avoids him like the plague but will yell her little head off when he flies back to his cage. Gotta love a fickle girl.
Food- zupreem pellets, Roudybush, a very tiny amount of seed given in the evening ( a hair more than a teaspoon).. vegetables, no fruit… it attracts bugs.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Update: just spoken to the breeder. He says the babies won't have their bright plumage till two years of age. Not that it's an issue, but i am curious, is it true? Rest are fine. The babies are completely weaned and likes vegetables.
Not true. They start to get a few red feathers around six months and gradually fill in over the next six months. They should have the majority of red plumage around a year of age. All of my photos are on my computer of the growth on my babies… and it’s dead. Until I get a new one I won’t be able to retrieve any pics.
A known breeder and author on conures ( I’m not mentioning a name … ) claimed the crimson to be the “ quiet conure”. Nope. Not true. Maybe… if you only have one. They can have plenty of volume for extended periods of time. Well, the crimson clan can keep up a loud raucous racket when it’s approaching the time for me to let them out, give their fresh water ( I took those cups to wash them), change papers and let them visit each other. I love to open the door and ask “Who’s screaming in here!!!! “. ( they all are). Rocket is not in their room. He can be one noisy little buzzard … and loud. He does it for attention and especially when my hubby and I are trying to have a conversation when we’re in the kitchen next to Rockets room. Hubby gets disgusted because he can’t continue with the competition of noise. Oh well … they sure are pretty!!! :D
Veggies I feed… red or golden beet slices soft cooked ( steamed) yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, the small sweet peppers ( red, yellow, orange) limit quantity because they will have liquid poo from the high moisture content, sugar snap peas, butternut squash, acorn squash…

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
To be fair to Rocket…. Lola and Henry interrupt our conversations too. Hubby can get a little frustrated trying to talk unless the birds are joining the conversation with a few words. :)

which leads me to talking… crimsons are not great talkers ( males) but can learn a few limited words.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You should be able to just pull the hard drive out of the dead computer and read it with another computer if you plug it in or use one of the cheap hard drive to USB docking stations.
I bought one that can run 2 at once, normal sata drives or the smaller 2.5 laptop drives or ssd drives. It works great. You can also use it to clone the old one to a new drive. Also if it is good and your boot drive but the old computer is broken some other way you can plug it into a new similar box and it might boot up in the new box and work like the old one, or at least good enough to run it and get data off it. I'd try a docking station first, cheap and easy and useful for reading other drives and adding them later.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You should be able to just pull the hard drive out of the dead computer and read it with another computer if you plug it in or use one of the cheap hard drive to USB docking stations.
I bought one that can run 2 at once, normal sata drives or the smaller 2.5 laptop drives or ssd drives. It works great. You can also use it to clone the old one to a new drive. Also if it is good and your boot drive but the old computer is broken some other way you can plug it into a new similar box and it might boot up in the new box and work like the old one, or at least good enough to run it and get data off it. I'd try a docking station first, cheap and easy and useful for reading other drives and adding them later.
I do have a backup drive on that computer so I didn’t lose any data… I just don’t have all the funds for a new computer. We’ve had far too many large expenses this year and none of them were for fun!:(

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think I paid around 30 bucks for that dual drive docking bay on Amazon and it's a fairly fancy one. You could probably buy a simple single drive one even cheaper and plug it into anything that has a USB port and can read computer drives and at least see your pictures again.
If you were close enough I have several leftover ok spec boxes that would probably be fine for you. Not seeing the box or what it is or isn't doing so can't help much but a lot of times it's one part taking everything else down and might be cheap and easy to fix.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think I paid around 30 bucks for that dual drive docking bay on Amazon and it's a fairly fancy one. You could probably buy a simple single drive one even cheaper and plug it into anything that has a USB port and can read computer drives and at least see your pictures again.
If you were close enough I have several leftover ok spec boxes that would probably be fine for you. Not seeing the box or what it is or isn't doing so can't help much but a lot of times it's one part taking everything else down and might be cheap and easy to fix.
Using a phone makes me want to pull my hair out.