• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting News Birds Settled

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hello Everyone! I have been wanting to get a bird (parrot) for more than a year now and have been doing my research.

I had put off getting a bird because I have a (needy!) dog and wasn't sure how he would react and didn't want to feel the need to divide my time and attention too much.

My hope was to wait until he passed (he's a senior) until making any additions to our household. And I also wanted to adopt an older parrot from a rescue.

Well, picking up his prescription dog food, I would always check out the birds while there. A bonded pair of canary winged parakeets had been there for several months. I spoke with the guy about them while I was there to find out what I could. They're under a year old, never been handled much, sex unknown.

I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I began getting a cage, light, perches, etc and setting up. I purchased the birds Friday evening and brought them home.

They're currently on the junk seed and fruity pellet diet they're accustomed to, but I've prepared a fresh diet to begin transitioning them over along with pellets.

They don't seem to be too terrified of me, but they will move to the other side of the cage as I approach. They'll calm down shortly after and then go about preening and chatting amongst themselves. I am planning to wait to attempt to get them used to my hands until the treats are of higher value.

I did some quick searches online about bonded pairs. From what I read, it seems they are a bit slower to come around. And that a close bond with the owner may never happen since they're bonded with each other. I have no intentions of separating them, even into adjacent cages.

Honestly, I'm ok if I am not each birds other half. But I would like to be happy to interact, be handled, train, etc.

I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice on working with bonded pairs.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Sitting beside the cage and talking with them or singing to them gets them more used to you. Figure out what treat is their favorite and offer it when you walk by their cage or hang out near their cage. Be very patient. Well, that’s about all I know :rolleyes:

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Thank you for your reply!

I should add: my dog and I are very routine based. I think we've both sort of neurotic! Lol! So the birds have already been pieced into that routine.

I have them in my home office. There are some plants and a plant light on a timer for 7am-7pm. I plugged the bird light into timer so they're on a schedule. Blinds get closed and curtains drawn as well. They get woken up at 7am with the light timer. I come in shortly after to open curtains and blinds after letting the dog out and giving him his food and meds.

I plan to begin removing their food in the evening to start the diet transition so they don't free feed all day long.

I have been sitting next to their cage while I'm doing work or on the phone. They shy away at first, but then settle down.

One of the birds is definitely more curious/brave than the other. I'm hoping if I can gain its trust, the other will learn via observation and decide they want some yummy treats too.

I know I need to be patient and keep my expectations in check!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Here's a photo of them, I'll try to get more photos as they become a little more comfortable in my presence. This perch is the highest and is their favorite place so far. They've only just today began to explore the enclosure more. They tore off all the bark from their ladder! They do have some destructible toys that should arrive tomorrow or Thursday, along with additional perches. The toys and perches I originally bought I ended up returning.

They're stayed together for the majority of the time so far. They even eat together. The only time I've seen them apart is when one is off exploring. I still can't tell them apart physically, but I'm guessing the more active bird is the braver one that comes and eats while I sit close. The other sticks to the perch. 20220426_172332.jpg 20220426_172332.jpg

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
The bird on the right in photos inner (is that the correct term? First? Pointer? Lol) toes seem to be a little more curled than the other bird's inner toes. I'm guessing they could probably both stand a nail trim, but I don't want to stress them with that, at least not yet.

As you can see, they are on a pedi perch, that is likely too large to do much good for their nails. It's also the highest for the time being. I read on this forum the pedi perch shouldn't be the highest in the cage, but it's either that or the dowel rod the cage came with for now. There is another pedi perch (same kind, one size down) placed lower. I had originally gotten a couple other perches to try, but as mentioned in previous post, I have returned them.

i placed an order for some natural perches from etsy that should be arriving this week, along with a couple of natural wooden platforms. Once they arrive, the dowel perch will be removed.

The dowel perch runs the width of their cage and they use it quite a bit to travel. I am hoping once I replace it with multiple perches, they will be forced to then take a different route (if they choose to walk/climb). This will get them more activity as well as go into other parts of the cage. All of their feathers are intact, so I assume they're flighted. But I've yet to let them out to test their skills as I'm scared I'll not be able to get them back in easily. I guess they'd naturally go back when they're hungry or ready for bed?

I've also got a couple extra stainless dishes to put up. I plan to put different food items in each and mix it up daily. Again, encouraging more activity and different areas to explore.

Is it likely to over stimulate or stress them with too many changes at once? New/different perches, food bowls, toys. Should I keep it down to one change every couple of days? Or does it matter?

Last edited:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Sounds like you are off to a great start with them!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:
You sound like you’re doing amazing!
Try to remind yourself that there’s no rush! You should have these two to enjoy for many years to come, who cares if they don’t seem interested in you for a few months?

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Thank you all for the encouragement and reassurance! I'm sure I'm going to make mistakes along the way, but I suppose we all do at some point.

I'll be sure to post updates and new photos.

Perhaps I should have picked a different sub-forum to post my thread, such as Bird Boulevard.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
An update for today on these two!

I am converting them from a mostly seed diet to a chop as I mentioned before. I've been mixing the chop 50/50 with mashed sweet potatoes to try to entice them. This morning the chop and potatoes were all out of the bowl, a big portion being at the bottom of the cage. But I did notice it smeared all over their perch where they wiped their beaks. So at least I know they're tasting it, even if just to move it around to get to the seeds underneath! Maybe tomorrow I'll press it down into the seeds a bit and make it a little more difficult to get the seeds.

I took a quick video this evening! The active bird (I really need to name them!) was doing somersaults by grabbing the top of the cage with his beak, bring his feet up, and back down to perch beak first. He did it about three times before I grabbed my phone to record, then of course he stopped! But he did keep up the acrobats while the other bird scooted back and forth out of the way. It was so cute to watch!

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
The "other bird" as or "less active" bird as I keep referring finally has a name. I've landed on Sake! I think it goes well with Wasabi! While Japanese names don't really pay homage to their heritage, I think it's totally cute!

No real updates today. I'm still working on diet conversion to a chop and pellet from a mostly seed and junk pellet diet. It's going slow, they keep tossing it out of their bowl but at least they're getting a taste.

This weekend I plan to make the room bird friendly so that they can have an opportunity to fly around if they choose. A couple things out to the shed and a trip to donation drop off is in order.

It is currently set up as my home office but also double as my drawing and painting area. I've not done any drawing or painting since moving them in there to avoid exposure. I'll be relocating that stuff to a different room.

I am a bit concerned about being able to get them back in, but I guess they'll go back when they're hungry or tired (I hope). I've stopped allowing them to free feed on the seed mix they've been on, so they definitely come and eat when food is served.

I'm trying to find treats that they really like still. They pick out the sunflower seeds from their mix first, but they've turned down walnuts, pecans, and almonds when I've tried to offer. They have also turned down banana and dried mango. But blueberries are a hit! I'll continue to offer the different types of nuts, perhaps their preference may change as their diet continues to change.

It's going slow but we are getting there!