• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting Nervous!!!

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Hello friends!
We are about 2 months out from bringing home our baby B&G, Gonzo. I am having the same feelings I did when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first baby. Every thing is ready, everything is purchased, I’ve done SOOO much research on behavior, training, diet, routines, everything but I’m just SO anxious! Am I prepared? Will my bird like me? Will I be a good bird mommy? I know that just like with my kids nothing really prepares you until you just live it but I’m just looking for maybe a little reassurance that I’m going to be fine? Haha. Any words of comfort, encouragement, or wisdom you have to share for bringing home baby would be AWESOME! I really just want a big “what to expect when you’re expecting” for a macaw! Haha! Can someone write that book please!?!?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Hello friends!
We are about 2 months out from bringing home our baby B&G, Gonzo. I am having the same feelings I did when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first baby. Every thing is ready, everything is purchased, I’ve done SOOO much research on behavior, training, diet, routines, everything but I’m just SO anxious! Am I prepared? Will my bird like me? Will I be a good bird mommy? I know that just like with my kids nothing really prepares you until you just live it but I’m just looking for maybe a little reassurance that I’m going to be fine? Haha. Any words of comfort, encouragement, or wisdom you have to share for bringing home baby would be AWESOME! I really just want a big “what to expect when you’re expecting” for a macaw! Haha! Can someone write that book please!?!?
I not a very wordy member...
But my advice for you is just go with the flow.
You're prepared. Now its time to regroup and take things in stride.
You're at the right place when the time comes for help along you're journey, with you future Avian companion.
Congrats on your new feathered baby .
Wishing you many happy healthy joyous years together.
:congrats5::storkb::storkg:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
But my advice for you is just go with the flow.
Mostly this.

We're dealing with living, breathing, intelligent beings (who can fly).

More than any material preparations you've done -- openness, offering options, respecting their choices, patience with behaviors, a willingness to compromise and improvise, learning their quirks and body language, shunning force, a drive learn and do better -- all lead to earning their trust.

We're never fully prepared, but that's ok. :)

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Mostly this.

We're dealing with living, breathing, intelligent beings (who can fly).

More than any material preparations you've done -- openness, offering options, respecting their choices, patience with behaviors, a willingness to compromise and improvise, learning their quirks and body language, shunning force, a drive learn and do better -- all lead to earning their trust.

We're never fully prepared, but that's ok. :)
Thank you so much for your advice! I feel like that is the way that I treat the other animals in my home. Respecting them as I would want to be respected. I feel like there are a lot of unknown variables because this feathered friend will be a personality all his own, but I am excited and prepared to get to know him for who he is and to respect that even if it is not my “ideal” just as I have with my wacky kiddos! Haha

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You’ve got this!

You’ll love every second- even the ones where you loose your favourite bit of furniture. Lol.

In all honesty… I really think you’ll do just fine!!

Your bird has no expectations of you so do your best and just enjoy getting to know each other, everything will work itself out into a smooth, bumpy, organised, chaotic routine that will work for you both ;)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I have found a lot of parallels between good parenting and good parronting. And I was also very anxious before and when I first brought home my bird (a Green cheek conure). My biggest takeaway so far is not to take (mis)behaviors personally and to try instead to reassess what I need to do differently. The research I did was great but nothing was as useful as getting to describe the specifics of each situation (where research proved useless) to members of this forum who then provided reassurance or insights. The best advice I got was to take a deep breath and trust myself. I also found having lots of safe spaces for my bird and a schedule really helpful —kind of like with kids who thrive within the safety of structure and freedom of choices within that structure. The fact that you’re so well prepared and care so deeply means your macaw is a very fortunate new family member.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Each bird is different. So I don't know if we can ever by fully prepared for any new bird. I look back and see things I wish I did differently with each of my birds. But we do the best we can and adjust things going forward. You'll be fine. :)

@Toy ?

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Have I mentioned how much I love this forum?! You are so great! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Went and picked out some new toys for the cage. I’m going to visit him tomorrow and I can’t wait to see how much he has grown in the last month!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How old will your baby be when you bring him home? I'm guessing he'll be weaned, but not sure.
Even if weaned, new babies will miss the person who raised them, and often regress a bit and revert to begging.
Has the breeder talked with you about this? Have you learned about comfort feeding?

Even the most inexperienced do survive ;), but it can be challenging.
You've found a wonderful place for advice, comfort and ideas going forward.
Do we get any photos of your sweetie?

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
How old will your baby be when you bring him home? I'm guessing he'll be weaned, but not sure.
Even if weaned, new babies will miss the person who raised them, and often regress a bit and revert to begging.
Has the breeder talked with you about this? Have you learned about comfort feeding?

Even the most inexperienced do survive ;), but it can be challenging.
You've found a wonderful place for advice, comfort and ideas going forward.
Do we get any photos of your sweetie?
He will be almost 6 months old. I have read about regression in babies once they get to their new home. I have looked into comfort feeding a little bit, but I need to do a little bit more research. Syringe feeding it makes me terribly nervous, so I would prefer to use a spoon. Here is the last picture I have of him from our visit in June! I’ll upload some more pictures tomorrow when I see him.

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
6 months is very young. My GW weaned at 8 months, and I know of babies wanting fed up to and over a year.
So get a nice deep spoon, ask the breeder for what type of formula and have her show you how to make it.
You may very well see some regression and need to offer a feeding for a while.
If possible, allow her to watch as you offer some from a spoon so she can give you advice and guidance.
If she poos poos the idea, have her teach you anyway.
Abundance weaning is offering the baby feedings for emotional support.
A begging baby left to beg is a sad sight. Feeding is safety and nurturing love to a baby macaw.

Not to scare you, but it's better to be prepared and not need to, than need to and not be prepared.
Towards the end of my babies weaning, I had switched to a deep plastic measuring spoon.
It was messy, but I offered it until it was refused.

Hope you don't see this, but you may.
Other than that, baby macaws are a blast and so loveable.
You will soon be (if not already) head over heals in love.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
6 months is very young. My GW weaned at 8 months, and I know of babies wanting fed up to and over a year.
So get a nice deep spoon, ask the breeder for what type of formula and have her show you how to make it.
You may very well see some regression and need to offer a feeding for a while.
If possible, allow her to watch as you offer some from a spoon so she can give you advice and guidance.
If she poos poos the idea, have her teach you anyway.
Abundance weaning is offering the baby feedings for emotional support.
A begging baby left to beg is a sad sight. Feeding is safety and nurturing love to a baby macaw.

Not to scare you, but it's better to be prepared and not need to, than need to and not be prepared.
Towards the end of my babies weaning, I had switched to a deep plastic measuring spoon.
It was messy, but I offered it until it was refused.

Hope you don't see this, but you may.
Other than that, baby macaws are a blast and so loveable.
You will soon be (if not already) head over heals in love.
Great advice! Thank you so much. I’m already SOOOOO in love and I’ll do whatever I have to to make this baby happy and secure. I was the momma that took 15 months to wean my own children. I’m in no hurry! I just want to do it the right way. Thanks again!

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Had a wonderful visit with baby Gonzo today! He’s now about 3 1/2 months and SOOO busy! Haha. He was climbing all over me and flapping his wings! He preened my hair and ears and mouth and loved all the cuddles. The breeder told me he’s weaning a little slower but I reassured her I’m in no hurry and to let him take his time. Got some new long natural wood perches for him too. It was definitely harder to take pictures as he was a busy boy but here are a few! (You can see the lovely hairstyle he gave me :wideyed::roflmao:)

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He's adorable! Such a little sweetie. :heart:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful baby! There is just something so endearing about baby macaws!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got JaKhu at 4 months 11 days old. She had just weaned, but regressed a little. I fed her pellets & lots of soft foods. She still likes to eat oatmeal off a spoon, but veggies & other soft foods out of a dish. Wing slapping is a sign they want fed. At the same time they are weaning they are learning to use their beak & those big feet. Enjoy the baby stage while you can, as they quickly grow out of it.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Aw, love the pics!! It reminds me exactly of my 28 year old who passed away last September (way too young). I had so much fun with her when she was a baby, I had her from 2 weeks old but she did have complications but pulled through to be my big baby!! I miss her so much!

You'll do okay especially if you are investigating all angles to care for her. Macaws really are big babies but watchout, they'll try to rule the house!! :)

Keep one thing in mind, a bird on your shoulder, feels equal to you. Hold her below your eye level and you will be superior. I could write a lengthy post but I'll hold it at this.

Congrats on your new up coming B&G! She is beautiful!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Keep one thing in mind, a bird on your shoulder, feels equal to you. Hold her below your eye level and you will be superior. I could write a lengthy post but I'll hold it at this.
I'd love to read your thoughts on this topic in a separate post. Certainly there are birds who shouldn't be on your shoulder, but I have no issues with mine being there.
Regarding the concepts of "equal" and "superior" -- I strive for equal.