• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting my first CAG! Need some wisdom :)

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm an experienced bird owner and currently have a Bourke, 3 budgies, and a pair of cockatiels - but I grew up with an elderly adopted Grey and I am an experienced rehabber. Now, after six months of preparation and a heartbreaking experience trying to adopt a different grey a few months back, I am finally adopting my own next weekend! She is four years old and was "extremely tame" until a few months ago when her owners stopped handling her due to health reasons. She is now at a rescue. I suspect she has been kept almost exclusively in a cage for a few months. She has an extensive vocab and is said to have a really goofy personality. Her current name is Molly, but I will be changing it. I'm so excited!
We have a 68" stainless steel cage with a play top, a manzanita stand, and will soon have about $100 worth of fun, shreddable toys for her. I am a stay at home mom, so she will receive ample gentle, loving attention when she is settled in and will rarely be alone. Eventually, when she is comfortable, she will be out of cage in her own separate part of my living room unless it is bed time. Of course, she will always be kept separate from my smaller birds.
So - how would I go about making her more comfortable with being handled? What should I expect upon bringing her home? I'm a little bit afraid of being bitten, but I know it *will* happen at some point no matter how patient I am with her. I plan to give her a few days to adjust to her new home, then to start reading and singing to her while sitting beside her cage and holding treats up for her, first through the bars of her cage and then at her open door. I know Greys are highly sensitive, and I want to make her as happy and comfortable as possible. I want her to eventually, in due time, be a constant companion that is deeply bonded to me and trusts me. She will live in and be the center of our household. ANY wisdom is greatly appreciated!

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Wow - You have been through a lot in the last six months.
I'm so glad that you are adopting.
I can only go by what I have experienced in the last few months.
I adopted two...one may have been rescued - we will see.
They are both totally different.
The first one from day one wanted to be in the center of the attention.
He steps up. Gives me kisses. And kisses again and then goes to his play top and climbs all of it and then settles down at one spot and talks to me.
He is now allowing me to touch his toes. But clearly he is uncomfortable with it.
He didn't play with toys at first but now is playing with more toys and loves the cardboard boxes...sometimes.
The second one is still settling in - meaning she does not like me putting food or water in her cage.
BUT she likes toys. Tears them apart.
She will also say "Hello" to me when I come up to the cage to talk to her.
Last night when I got home she gave me the "cat call" whistle and then talked.
She is slowly coming around. She has been in my home less than two weeks.
So, your CAG is going to be different from either one of mine...probably.
I'm glad you have a plan. I know that you are more than willing to change it if your girl so desires.
You just need to be sensitive to them.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Wow - You have been through a lot in the last six months.
I'm so glad that you are adopting.
I can only go by what I have experienced in the last few months.
I adopted two...one may have been rescued - we will see.
They are both totally different.
The first one from day one wanted to be in the center of the attention.
He steps up. Gives me kisses. And kisses again and then goes to his play top and climbs all of it and then settles down at one spot and talks to me.
He is now allowing me to touch his toes. But clearly he is uncomfortable with it.
He didn't play with toys at first but now is playing with more toys and loves the cardboard boxes...sometimes.
The second one is still settling in - meaning she does not like me putting food or water in her cage.
BUT she likes toys. Tears them apart.
She will also say "Hello" to me when I come up to the cage to talk to her.
Last night when I got home she gave me the "cat call" whistle and then talked.
She is slowly coming around. She has been in my home less than two weeks.
So, your CAG is going to be different from either one of mine...probably.
I'm glad you have a plan. I know that you are more than willing to change it if your girl so desires.
You just need to be sensitive to them.
Thank you for replying! I am so excited to bring her home and so excited that I finally found a grey to adopt! I was determined to adopt rather than buy because I think there are just way, way too many parrots out there in need of a patient, thoughtful home to rescue them for me to justify buying a baby.
I really hope the process of her learning to trust me and wanting my attention will be quick like yours - but that's definitely not what I'm expecting! Haha

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Congrats on the adoption!

I adopted my then 7/8-year-old CAG 8 years ago. She had two previous homes, and was pretty quick to adapt to mine.

CAGs are sensitive, and mine still startles easily at loud noises.

Sounds like your CAG had a good home despite the last few months, so I bet she’ll bounce back quickly.

One thing on a name change: Mine came as Ralphie but would repeatedly talk to/say Larry. Being new to CAGs, I thought Larry was a previous owner. But then I realized (and confirmed with the last owner) that Larry was her previous name. Ha.

Good luck.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Sometimes I think we over think our birds.

The last two homes for my girl - I got two weeks ago - weren't the best for her. I would love to change the name but I haven't figured what to yet.
So instead of Grace I call her Gracie. So far she isn't repeating a name.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Congrats on the adoption!

I adopted my then 7/8-year-old CAG 8 years ago. She had two previous homes, and was pretty quick to adapt to mine.

CAGs are sensitive, and mine still startles easily at loud noises.

Sounds like your CAG had a good home despite the last few months, so I bet she’ll bounce back quickly.

One thing on a name change: Mine came as Ralphie but would repeatedly talk to/say Larry. Being new to CAGs, I thought Larry was a previous owner. But then I realized (and confirmed with the last owner) that Larry was her previous name. Ha.

Good luck.
That is too funny! That is what I'm most looking forward to: the intelligence! Maybe she'll name herself haha. I have a few names in mind though :)

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Sometimes I think we over think our birds.

The last two homes for my girl - I got two weeks ago - weren't the best for her. I would love to change the name but I haven't figured what to yet.
So instead of Grace I call her Gracie. So far she isn't repeating a name.
I think you're right. I'm also a classic over thinker. I think that's part of why I fell in love with Greys. I love that they really process what is going on around them and are actively involved in their household! It sounds like it is possible that the adjustment process may not be as lengthy as I expected!

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Of the dozens and dozens of birds we have rescued and rehabbed we have never had the privilege to rescue a CAG. It is my wife's dream bird, and mine is the Hyacinth Macaw. One day.
I have been looking for six months! A few months back, I was about to adopt a disabled CAG (missing most of one foot) who unfortunately passed away unexpectedly. I was so heartbroken. I've finally found another that will fit well into our home and I can't wait to bring her home!

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I have been looking for six months! A few months back, I was about to adopt a disabled CAG (missing most of one foot) who unfortunately passed away unexpectedly. I was so heartbroken. I've finally found another that will fit well into our home and I can't wait to bring her home!
So excited for you!!!!!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome, and congratulations! I am owned by 11 fids, one of which is an amazing CAG named Maalik. He is funny, engaging, and a little cuddle bug most of the time.
You're in for an incredible adventure as you learn about each other. Yes, they are very sensitive, and you'll have to roll out how you interact with her on her own terms. Depending upon how shy or sensitive she is, it could take a day, or it could take months. Bottom line is to be patient. In the end, you will have yourself a wonderful companion for life! Enjoy every moment!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Very enamored with CAG's but never got on my list...Neither was a Hawkhead but one fell in my lap & I am head over heals in love with my Penny! I think she likes me but hoping she really LIKES me some day!

Good luck...go easy & take the cues from the bird...

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Congrats on your new fid. Be patient, take it slow, and give lots of treats and praise. If there is a first bite, don’t take it personally. Do everything you can to avoid being bitten in the first place if you can. With greys, they’re very good at figuring out if you’re scared of them and then using it against you. I would recommend projecting calm confidence from the beginning.

There might not ever be a bite, my TAG hasn’t ever actually bitten me. She’s pinched a few times when she was losing her grip with her feet, but never bitten in anger. My baby CAG doesn’t even know how to bite, and neither does my Blue Throated Macaw. Hopefully your grey hasn’t learned biting as a behavior. Good luck! Greys are a wonderful companion.