• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting down on the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
Konstantinos's comment about Paris being afraid to walk on the floor made me wonder how many other birds were like this :D

Both of my conures are afraid to get down onto the floor, and so are my cockatiels. My lorikeets, however, are not afraid at all and will hop down onto the floor and go exploring :rofl:

Saffron:

Haggie:

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
I LOVE that 2nd vid, its too funny!

Blazey loves the floor, and always flys down and waddles her butt through the house looking for us LOL

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
haha, Houston Blazey is the complete opposite of my cockatiels, haha. They all want to be up high where they can see everything!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If I let them my TOOs would spend all their time on the floor. Exploring and getting into trouble is their favorite past time. :D

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
haha, Houston Blazey is the complete opposite of my cockatiels, haha. They all want to be up high where they can see everything!
Blazey likes that to, but also likes to be on the floor LOL :rolleyes:

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Jamie they are too cute Isis really perked up when she heard all them chatting away. Loved all of the videos! Thank you for sharing them. Hug's Barb and Isis

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Both Kai and Linus (WBC) are floor birds, though Linus moreso than Kai. Kai has this innate ability to get lost when he's on the floor.. lol

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky doesn't really like to be on the floor.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Man that dish was talking some serious trash to Saffron and she sure whupped it.

Why Oh Why do Lori's have to be so messy?? I love all of them when I see them.

Ginger

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
That Saffron sure knows how to play!!!! To bad she demands such expensive toys :rofl:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great vids Jamie :D

Danny loves to wander around the living room, looking for mischief...

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I use the floor in training a lot, only certain birds I get in does it ever work in the handling aspect. I notice many birds are frightened of the floor and will step onto hands more readily if on it. Thats how I handled rico and getting him used to my hands also. But it doesnt always work, and I have a hahns here that will nail you from the floor, I have also gotten chased when birds were on the floor....hahahaha Never know. all of them are sooo much different!.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Love the videos. Jamie! I had all three running at the same tome and had to lower the volume for fear the neighbors would think my fire alarms were going off. :laughin:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've always found that flighted birds don't usually like the floor because they can get around just fine without it.

Birds that don't fly can't get around and explore without getting down on the floor. That's my TOOs.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
My Toos are flighted (for the moment). They still like the floor.

Do you think that it has something to do with the species being ground foragers.

You don't often see Cockatiels on the floor; would it be safe to assume 'Tiels are not ground foragers?

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Saffron and Haggie are something else!!!!!! :heart:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Just a side bar, in all this merriment...size of the bird should be considered. Much as I love seeing a running, cavorting, waddling birdie, I make the floor off limits for my birds. They are too small to be safe on the floor. Too easy to not realize they are there. But I don't think I'd miss a 2 or Saffron :) I'll have to be entertained by watching videos of your big birds...and I am entertained!

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
My Toos are flighted (for the moment). They still like the floor.

Do you think that it has something to do with the species being ground foragers.

You don't often see Cockatiels on the floor; would it be safe to assume 'Tiels are not ground foragers?
No, they do forage on the ground in the wild :D But they live in relatively open areas where they can keep an eye out for predators. In a home setting, I think that they prefer to be up high so that they can keep an eye on things :)

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I use the floor in training a lot, only certain birds I get in does it ever work in the handling aspect. I notice many birds are frightened of the floor and will step onto hands more readily if on it. Thats how I handled rico and getting him used to my hands also. But it doesnt always work, and I have a hahns here that will nail you from the floor, I have also gotten chased when birds were on the floor....hahahaha Never know. all of them are sooo much different!.
Haggie is like that sometimes ... when he is in a bad mood or feeling hormonal, he will go after my feet. However, it's sometimes hard to tell when he's in a mood so I have to be careful when I approach him. I try to keep him off the floor for that reason :D

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Jamie that the 2nd video of Saffron is so funny. Halfway thru it looked like an exercise video - up, down, up, down. I've watched it twice ~ Thanks for sharing :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.