• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting chickens again!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm so excited. So, so excited. And better prepared this time - we had chickens a couple of years ago and had a mink (we think, based on the carnage) get in and tear through the entire flock.

This year I'm super prepped for security (knock on wood)! Locking hen house, stronger fence, and hard cloth that will go below the ground level.

Quick question regarding the chicks though. Until they're able to go outside, can they be kept in the bird room? They'll be in a little brooder pen type deal to contain them, and on newspaper for easy cleanup, but would the poop/dust/their presence bother and tiel and too?

Isadora adamantly refuses to walk on floors (or any flat surface), so I don't worry about her getting too close, but Tteok can fly and thoroughly enjoys walking around on floors. Not to mention they'll never be left alone with the chicks. I figured I'd ask beforehand to make sure there's not going to be an issue.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
That's exciting!
I'd worry a bit about the dust levels. Chicks are super dusty. So I can't imagine what have a 'too, a tiel, and chicks in the same room would be like.
I assume you're also buying chicks? I'd also be hesitant to do that.
I have brooded chicks in the same room as the budgies before (Max 2-3 weeks), but they were all incubator hatched, most from my own eggs. Maybe it's not as big a deal as my brain think it is, but I'd worry about disease transfer from an outside source.
Also if you plan to use newspaper as a brooder liner you will need something over the top for grip, newspaper is too slippery for delicate chick legs.
@fashionfobie

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That's exciting!
I'd worry a bit about the dust levels. Chicks are super dusty. So I can't imagine what have a 'too, a tiel, and chicks in the same room would be like.
I assume you're also buying chicks? I'd also be hesitant to do that.
I have brooded chicks in the same room as the budgies before (Max 2-3 weeks), but they were all incubator hatched, most from my own eggs. Maybe it's not as big a deal as my brain think it is, but I'd worry about disease transfer from an outside source.
Also if you plan to use newspaper as a brooder liner you will need something over the top for grip, newspaper is too slippery for delicate chick legs.
@fashionfobie
Pah, totally forgot about having to basically play the quarantine game :arghh: I've been so focused on making sure they stay alive this time that I didn't think of something so obvious :facepalm: thank you for pointing that out!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In my personal opinion I would not keep the baby chickens in the bird room. Since you are making the choice to raise the babies you need to be by their side. They will need comfort when they are scared, snuggle sessions and surrogate wing hugs. Baby chickens would never be without their mum. You are taking on that role when you decide to raise them. The more social and supportive interactions they have the more adjusted they will be to life. I can't stress this enough, just because they can eat food and water on their own when they are small doesn't mean they are self sufficient. Enrich their lives :) Let them know they are safe and loved :heart2:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have no experience with raising chickens but when I was 15 I raised two baby ducks in my bed room with a cage free cockatiel and lovebird. I had to clean 5 times a day at minimum.
It probably wasn’t the most healthy air to breathe in, but I didn’t have an air purifier and it was a small room. It didn’t smell super strongly but you knew there was ducks. If you can keep them in the living room that would be better I think. Also, my lovebird nipped my 3 day old baby in the beak when I was out to get groceries. He had never nipped anyone or anything before, so I would be careful with letting the chicks interact with other animals. After that of course I made sure he couldn’t get to the ducks when I was away.
Like the others said they will be like human babies, when they cry you should go comfort them. They woke me up several times a night and I would get up and let them sit in my lap until they fell asleep. Of course, that would mean I couldn’t go back to sleep either so stayed up and watched over them. I wouldn’t choose do do it again this way, but I adored looking after them and teaching them what life was like. I took them on little trips outside, taught them what to eat, what different humans were etc. They turned into very adaptable confident little ducks who very social with other ducks. I feared for that is there was just the two of them, but they knew duck language well thankfully.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
How exciting! :bounce4:

What type of chicks are you getting?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Like the others said they will be like human babies, when they cry you should go comfort them. They woke me up several times a night and I would get up and let them sit in my lap until they fell asleep. Of course, that would mean I couldn’t go back to sleep either so stayed up and watched over them. I wouldn’t choose do do it again this way, but I adored looking after them and teaching them what life was like. I took them on little trips outside, taught them what to eat, what different humans were etc. They turned into very adaptable confident little ducks who very social with other ducks. I feared for that is there was just the two of them, but they knew duck language well thankfully.
:heart2: :awww:

Exactly! It is a big job taking on babies. I have raised chicks three times now. I take time off work or arrange work from home. I keep them within earshot all the time. They woke me up frequently or called out during the day. I also spent 3 session a day at minimum (morning/midday/evening) where they can learn about the environment under strict supervision. I also bought crickets from the pet shop so they can practice hunting. If I called they would sprint to me, I do my best to speak chicken as best as I can. They are cute little babies who just want to know they are safe. I have become somewhat sensitive to chicken vocalisations, happy peeps are easy to distinguish between distressed peeps. Distress can be minor things, or simply a little one who is a pinch scared, but sometimes it is something very serious. As they get feathered and develop more independence they can transition to more time without you, just like any bird who grows up. 6-10 weeks they will start needing you less, but it depends on the bird. They are ready to go into an outdoor enclosure, when they are doing more things on their own, not needing mum help anymore and are fully feathered.

Mother hens talk to their babies from when they are in the egg and all day they are out together. Talk to the babies often to let them know they aren't alone. You could also play hen sounds if you are uncomfortable trying to learn to make chicken sounds.

I am 100% my neighbours think I am nuts.. I am always clucking or bobbing my head for the duckos! But hey the neighbours day drink and through their cans at my house... so I think they are nuts too! I can't wait to get our own house lol

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How exciting! :bounce4:

What type of chicks are you getting?
I really want some speckled Sussex hens, and lace Wyandottes :swoon: probably a couple RhodeIsland reds.

The goal is to stay *under* 12 chickens. But I have some problems when it comes to small peeping puffs.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have chickens but many neighbors and friends do. I also wouldn't keep the babies in the bird room. Cotton likes his beauty sleep too much :)

I'm sure you already have thought about it, but in case there are lurkers thinking about getting chickens, keep in mind hygiene practices once they're outdoors to minimize disease risk to the parrots :) And vice versa of course.