• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting budgies to go back in their cage lol

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
What is the trick? I've tried treats, both in my hand on the way across the room, and treats in the cage, both of which worked, that is they "worked" as in once maybe twice lol. It seems like any and everything that works once doesn't work twice lol. Pretty much a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me kind of deal lol. Any tried and true methods? They both will hop on my finger, but forget going back to prison lol

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The only thing working with birds is patience and perseverance. You have to bring them back again and again and again until they go inside. Once you have said it is bed time or told them they have to go inside, you shall not let them win...
If you give up once, they'll know they can win and make your life impossible because they would learn that if they go on long enough you'll let them out.
If they learn that once you've said they had to go in, they won't have peace until they are inside, they give up quite fast...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Generally, budgies like their cages and want to return when they are tired or hungry. What size cage are they in and can you post a photo? You can train them to step up to a perch held in your hand. Some budgies are afraid of human hands but not a perch. I hung a boing just outside the cage door making it easier for them to get back inside. You could also put a perch on the inside of the cage door and when it is open they can first land on this door perch and then into the cage.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Generally, budgies like their cages and want to return when they are tired or hungry.
True, but sometimes they want to sleep outside, and sometimes you need to have them back in. Good to be able to :D

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
The only thing working with birds is patience and perseverance. You have to bring them back again and again and again until they go inside. Once you have said it is bed time or told them they have to go inside, you shall not let them win...
If you give up once, they'll know they can win and make your life impossible because they would learn that if they go on long enough you'll let them out.
If they learn that once you've said they had to go in, they won't have peace until they are inside, they give up quite fast...
I will not give up!

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Generally, budgies like their cages and want to return when they are tired or hungry. What size cage are they in and can you post a photo? You can train them to step up to a perch held in your hand. Some budgies are afraid of human hands but not a perch. I hung a boing just outside the cage door making it easier for them to get back inside. You could also put a perch on the inside of the cage door and when it is open they can first land on this door perch and then into the cage.
20190910_151357.jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
wow!! Nice digs!! Maybe you could add a branch going diagonally from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. With leaves on, just check that the tree sort is bird safe first!
And maybe a perch sticking out under the door could help them land there easily, before they are completely confident they'll manage to fly right inside.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
wow!! Nice digs!! Maybe you could add a branch going diagonally from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. With leaves on, just check that the tree sort is bird safe first!
And maybe a perch sticking out under the door could help them land there easily, before they are completely confident they'll manage to fly right inside.
That sounds cool as bird crap lol

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
As I recall, these guys are still babies (under a year and a half), right?
I used to run my fingernail along the bars to make the sound kind of like they make when they scoot along them.
Mine never stay out too long like they did when they were babies.
And YES, you need a rope perch right outside that door, like this: (well shoot, now I couldn't find the darn pic) I'll look for it and hopefully you will get to see.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@BudgieBird81 what a nice play station you have there. A fine example of what PVC can do. Its a good idea to wrap the PVC with vet tape so a bird will not get pressure areas on the bottom of foot.

@Fergus Mom great cage arrangement. Its not really a safe landing for a budgie to fly directly into the cage and land.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
@BudgieBird81 what a nice play station you have there. A fine example of what PVC can do. Its a good idea to wrap the PVC with vet tape so a bird will not get
pressure areas on the bottom of foot.

@Fergus Mom great cage arrangement. Its not really a safe landing for a budgie to fly directly into the cage and land.
My perches are actually made of wood on that station believe it or not. And my birds actually do fly right in to the top door and land on the perch right in front of the door.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I learned very early that putting perches, ropes and maybe a boing on the front of the cage encouraged my budgies to play right outside their cage door. That stopped them hiding on the curtain rail where even I couldn't reach them. I also learned that not closing the door straight away, getting them used to being free to decide whether they wanted to be in the cage helped a lot too. Once they got used to this freedom encouraging them in was a doddle, they even went to eat then roost on their own, at a good time for me to close the cage and get some eats myself.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
So yesterday I got home let them out while I cleaned their mess like usual lol. Left them out for a couple hours, and then we had a football game to attend so I went to put them up, and when I came into the room I said "Alright guys! Time to......." and to my surprise they both flew across the room from one of their perches on my computer desk and went right into the cage entering in through the top door landing on the perch inside the cage door, before I even finished my sentence lol what am I gonna do with these 2 lol

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So yesterday I got home let them out while I cleaned their mess like usual lol. Left them out for a couple hours, and then we had a football game to attend so I went to put them up, and when I came into the room I said "Alright guys! Time to......." and to my surprise they both flew across the room from one of their perches on my computer desk and went right into the cage entering in through the top door landing on the perch inside the cage door, before I even finished my sentence lol what am I gonna do with these 2 lol
Miracle!!! :angel1::angel1::angel1:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
They do actually come to thrive on routine. There was a time when I had to trick Sam into her cage by playing budgie sounds on my phone. It took many attempts as well. Now all I have to do is raise my phone and say "sleepy bird" (a phrase she has learned to say complete with snoring sounds) and she flies right to my phone and then hops into her cage.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They do actually come to thrive on routine. There was a time when I had to trick Sam into her cage by playing budgie sounds on my phone. It took many attempts as well. Now all I have to do is raise my phone and say "sleepy bird" (a phrase she has learned to say complete with snoring sounds) and she flies right to my phone and then hops into her cage.
Incredible...:wideyed: I wasn't aware you could download a "sleepy bird app" on your phone too! What technology can do these days!! :goodjob:

:coffeescreen: