• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting birds back into their cage

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have 8 caiques, IMHO the most independent sassy birds on the planet.

I get round this natural resistance to cage time by taking them in and out of the cages 20 times a day.

Theyve learned that going to the cage is not a life sentence, and accept it more often

Still there are times..........lol
haha, there are so many people here rehoming whole flocks of budgies. I wanted to rescue this family of five but I kept picturing trying to get five freaking budgies back in the cage lol.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
are you offering a reward for stepping onto the stick? When i first got jupiter, she wouldn't step up unless I held a treat just out of her reach. It's not instant, took a bit for her to finally get on the stick. once we did we went to the kitchen to get snacks like cheerios, fruit, etc. So she started to see the stick as a good thing where we go get food!
That's happened with Preeno for target training :laughing2:

Now she just hears the treat seed box and and goes crazy.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
My two come onto my hand for millet but if I move to walk they fly off. Also as soon as they've finished their millet, they fly off. I usually let them out for hours at a time, typically in the afternoon. When its their bedtime (dusk), they go back in the cage on their own.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
My two come onto my hand for millet but if I move to walk they fly off. Also as soon as they've finished their millet, they fly off. I usually let them out for hours at a time, typically in the afternoon. When its their bedtime (dusk), they go back in the cage on their own.
I wouldn't use your hand first off. A stick is much more sturdy to a bird. Have you tried with a stick?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
@annoellyn I haven't tried a stick but I have one that I could use. How do you hold the stick and millet? Got a picture?

cracked!

Meeting neighbors
I think it's all good now. I added more toys to my bird's cage and now she is more reluctant to go in. Thanks for the help!