• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting another lovebird

newbirds

Meeting neighbors
so ive been thinking about it and decided to get another lovebird along with my other one. this one is about a year and 3 months old and the other is 3 months old and just started eating seeds. will they fight and is there anything i should worry about?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There is no way to know if two birds will get along until the interact. You should always quarantine a new bird though.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Always a possibility won't like each other, the younger one may try and defend itself if it views the older bird as a threat. The older bird may be terrorial. Higher chance of agression if they are both females. But if your birds are anything like my little lovebird, she loves making new lovebird friends. Do you have a 2nd cage for the new bird? If quarantine is not on your mind yet, I strongly recommend to quarantine the new bird, if you have done disease testing then maybe quarantinerules can be more relaxed?

In general, you should quarantine new birds but I unfortunately have had first hand experience buying lovebirds that have tested positive for transmitable diseases... 3 times in a row. Luckily I had them all tested before bringing them home where I already had birds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You will definintely need two cages, no way around that. After quarantine, keep them caged separately until they are fully bonded before housing together. If they don bond, then they will have to be kept housed separately.