• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting another dog?

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Does anyone have a female and female pair? I have a 8 year old spayed very spoiled female aussie. I'm thinking about getting another aussie. Mine is very skittish and will not let anyone else touch her and does not care for other dog sniffing or jumping on her. Do you think I would be making a mistake getting other dog? If I got one would you recommend a male or female puppy?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
If you get another dog. Please adopt. Please. I see so many people believe it's mandatory to "buy" a new animal, when there are so many in shelters.

(On top of that, sounds like your dog might not appreciate a jumpy puppy)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There is no shame in buying a puppy, as long as we are doing so responsibly.

Seems like Michelle is here trying to do a bit of research to find out if this is an option for her and her family before making the decision.

I think @Monaco has/had an aussie, but I am not sure.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have two females, both were adopted as puppies (Stella was rescued from a parking lot in Texas, Indy was born after her mother was rescued) The only issue we’ve had is Indy encouraging Stella to bark at the neighbors with her, but it’s getting better after working with them.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Some females are extremely harsh towards other female dogs, especially if they've been the only one for as long as yours. This coming from first hand experience.

I'm concerned about her reactionary behaviors already known to you towards other dogs. Frankly I'd recommend to continue spoiling her as your one and only.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have known a few aussies and I love them! I had a very difficult aussie border collie mix. If you're careful about introducing a new dog slowly (physical barriers will help a lot) and training, they will usually adjust. An option for you might be to apply to foster. If you get a good fit, you can get the distinguished title of "foster failure!"

A puppy has the benefit of not knowing any difference, and learning how to be successful in your household from the jump. Especially whip smart aussies.

I've always preferred male dogs, especially in the herding breeds. Very laid back compared to the ladies. So, if it were me, my recommendation would actually be a male puppy, baby gates, and a lot of training. You know your situation best, though. Consider your girl's needs, and it's not impossible to foster first, and try a puppy after you have more information about how she handles it.

Edit for this caveat:

I train a LOT! I have extremely high expectations, and I know how to get to acceptable behaviors at the dog's pace. So, this where my suggestions have been colored with my experiences. Take it based on your abilities to handle problem behaviors and training!

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I have two females, both were adopted as puppies (Stella was rescued from a parking lot in Texas, Indy was born after her mother was rescued) The only issue we’ve had is Indy encouraging Stella to bark at the neighbors with her, but it’s getting better after working with them.
What breeds do you have? Thank you for rescuing them!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What breeds do you have? Thank you for rescuing them!
A Terrier mix and a Australian cattle dog mix, Indy (Aussie mix) is the more hyper of the two, while Stella (terrier mix) is much more laid back.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I have had success with two females together. It really just depends on the dogs. In my opinion, gender is less important than overall compatibility and that can be really hard to predict.

Our oldest dog is a female Doberman pinscher named Gracie. We got a female labrador retriever named Luna when Gracie was three years old. They are an odd couple, because Gracie is very high strung and more than a little neurotic. She is sensitive about touch and confined spaces. She is also an intense and focused dog that tends to take everything very seriously. Luna is not. She is a laidback goofball and quite relaxed. Somehow they work well together and play well together. I think it helps that Luna is very quick to apologize if she upsets Gracie with her silly antics, but equally quick at going back to being a shameless clown.

More recently, we have added a third dog, this time a boy. I don't think the gender would have mattered either way with these two dogs. Luna loves everyone equally, no matter age, size, gender, or species. Gracie is a nervous wreck when meeting new dogs, regardless of gender, but she adjusts relatively fast once she gets to know them. Neither dog has a commanding or assertive personality and neither one has shown any female-female aggression.

The new addition is a very big, very mellow Anatolian Shepherd with a stoic personality and independent nature. The three dogs couldn't be more different, but they all get along and enjoy each other's company, so I'm happy.

You can see their personalities quite clearly in the way each one "relaxes" on the couch:

20191003_101357.jpg 20181228_192809.jpg Resized_20191221_072648.jpeg

And yes, Luna actually sleeps in that position frequently. She opened her eyes while I was taking the picture.

One thing to keep in mind if you do get a puppy is that young dogs have a lot more energy than older dogs. This can be quite exhausting for the older dog and you will want to be sure to monitor interactions and separate the puppy if he/she is bothering your older dog too much. If you don't do this, your older dog will need to correct the puppy for you, and that can lead to problems. Adopting an older dog might help reduce the age difference.

However, Aussies tend to have a lot of energy in general. And getting a puppy can provide a smoother transition from a one dog houshold to a two dog household, because a young puppy is a less threatening intrusion compared with the sudden arrival of an unfamiliar adult dog. Raising a new puppy is a lot of work, but also quite rewarding and it allows you the opportunity to work with the dog from a young age so you understand their unique characteristics in depth as they mature and can shape their progress. In contrast, adopting an adult dog allows you to see the finished product while skipping over the intermediate steps. It will be harder to change anything you don't like, but if you find the right dog, it could be a perfect match from the start. There are pros and cons to either path.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
@Destiny Those couch pics!!! :swoon: :lol: :cloud9:
But wait! I have more ... Here is a group shot of the trio in sleep mode.

In this pic, Bear is still a puppy so he doesn't fill up the whole couch by himself yet. Gracie curls into a tight little ball, because she is secretly a cat. Luna is stuck in the middle like usual. She is the silly puddy that secretly holds together our dog family.

Resized_20181231_123251_5677.jpeg

And a bonus picture of adult Bear contemplating deep thoughts while staring out the window.

20200514_072407.jpg
(With a bendy bone toy in his mouth)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had two girls, both were neutered. Paige (the white/tan dog) was 4 when we got Brie (black/tan). They were snuggle buddies. I miss them so much.. I wish we could live with them forever.

I do not have experience with aussie sheps, so I have no idea if my experience will compare to yours.
I found having two dogs is easier than one. They always have a friend to play with and are never completely alone. My current dog, Gimli, is a solo dog at the moment. Though he has a doggie best friend and doesn't mind when she comes over to romp around. She is a border collie and he is a Chihuahua. :)

43614561_2250090591731749_5560933100046778368_o.jpg

29355030_1915949505145861_6484186857609978345_o.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I had 4 former sled dogs for a short while. They were all elderly 10+ in age and I adopted them. They were all intact and lived together, 2 male and 2 female. Their personalities worked and they played and got on fine. However that was a handful on walks!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
but if you find the right dog, it could be a perfect match from the start.

A lot of rescues do allow your dog to meet the new dog before you finalise adoption, which might be the best option if you are worried about a puppy. As Destiny said, "it could be a perfect match from the start." :)

Adoption is an option if that works for you. I disagree that everyone must adopt. The reality is every home and family is unique. Do what fits your situation.

whoops I meant to add this to the existing post, sorry for so many posts! :facepalm: