• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a second bird, i am scared

Fallensoul

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joey
I've been considering getting another cockatiel but I am scared that my current tiel will no longer be bonded to me. While I'd really love to see my bird have another bird to interact with, this anxiety has given me nightmares. Any advice or words of comfort?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Joey :starshower1:

If you have a strong bond with your bird, you may find that you can still enjoy that relationship even when a new bird is introduced to the flock :)

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I am having the same feelings, I have a sweet little Green rump and feel bad she is by herself sometime. Getting another as soon as it is weaned. Hoping they will both be bonded, sweet and nice to each other and bonded to me as well.... Hope that is not unrealistic. Want the happiest life for both of them

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You will not loose that bond you have today with your bird.

I think it's better to ask yourself why you have a bird. For their or your sake?
Isn't the most important thing that your bird is happy?
If you see it that way you will always make the right decisions. :)

I loved Eloy so much so I wanted him to have a girl and to be allowed to interact with another bird because we can never be birds and we are never their with them 24/7.
A single bird is a lonely bird. That is not right.
Birds are animals that in the wild never are apart and they live very close to each other and share everything.
I didn't know what to expect when Akela arrived here. But I did know that if Eloy did chose her before me, I was fine with that. That was so much I loved him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think it's better to ask yourself why you have a bird. For their or your sake?
Isn't the most important thing that your bird is happy?
If you see it that way you will always make the right decisions. :)
This is wise advice. Birds like being with other birds, its the natural thing to do. The human/bird bond in my opinion comes in second place. Your bird will continue to relate to you with another bird in the home. Its a good thing you are thinking of doing.