• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a second bird? Friend for Java Finch.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
When I got my Java Finch a week and a half ago, I was told that it was best to get just one so I could bond with it. I also know that finches don't like to be alone.
I've seen a lot of videos showing Javas not getting along and having to be separated. I've also seen the lists showing which finches can be housed together, although things don't always turn out well. Not sure what to do.
This video also makes me a bit reluctant to get a second bird:

Any advice?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Peepers, I feel like I answered this already but someone tagged me (thanks, @BirdWorld !) so I will try to help you. Let me know if you already heard from me.

First - think about what 'aggressive' means and what you can tolerate. As far as I know, Java finches don't maim other birds or anything like that. "Get away from me" is usually just done by opening the beak, you've probably seen that already. Two java males may fight, so you do need to be sure you know whether yours is a male or a female. And of course cage size comes into play, as does out-of-cage time. Meaning the more room they have the less they'll fight. If they are guarding food, just put a second feeder in so they each have their own. I actually put in 3 sometimes, so there's no hope of one getting left out. There are other tricks as well, like hanging visual barriers so they don't see each other as much. I don't mind squabbling, as long as there's no injury.

Next - that video was about 2 completely different species than yours. I didn't see the aggression, other than the beak opening. I did see a size difference, and I probably would not have put the canary with the goldfinch myself. You could put yours with another Java, or a gray singer - or even a diamond firetail! Have you seen them?
But if it was me, I'd get a fellow Java. Definitely do not put a smaller, more laid back finch with Peepers. That's where people run into trouble!

Third, this is just my opinion but I think it's kind of cruel to keep finches as singles. They're flock birds and they need their flock. We can try, but we're not really a good substitute for someone that speaks their language.

That said, I haven't heard what you have about separating them due to aggression. I know quite a few people that raise them. I would bet that it comes down to cage size/flying room. Anyway, if you have Peepers hand tamed and after reading all this you still feel reluctant to get him a companion -- there's nothing wrong with that. He looks like he enjoys Youtube birds! :D

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Hi Peepers, I feel like I answered this already but someone tagged me (thanks, @BirdWorld !) so I will try to help you. Let me know if you already heard from me.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that, Finchly! I greatly appreciate your help. :)

Donna from "Love of Pets" on YouTube had two Javas a few years ago that she had to separate. The one she already had tried to poke out the eyes and pull the feathers of the new one. She had lots of trouble with them. That being said, I think they were both males. She ended giving them to Bird Kingdom, I think.
She has two other Javas now, a male and a female, and they don't seem to get along either. (Btw, is pecking at another bird's foot normal behaviour? I won't even know what is normal!) Needless to say, all of this scares me! lol

Yes, Peepers LOVES the Javas on YouTube! :D

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
(Btw, is pecking at another bird's foot normal behaviour?
Pecking at another bird's foot means they want that bird to fall off the perch.

donutfinch

Moving in
Real Name
j
Same question, different type of finch. Society finch same problem