• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a perch potato off the perch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Amos has lots of different toys and foraging things in his cage. I haven't seen him "play" with any of them.

The only way I have seen him get active is if he's sitting with me in the chair and I give him something to shred. He really likes to tear up empty paper towel roll, I made him a foot toy out of Cholla wood, leather and acrylic disks, but he won't chew them unless I'm holding them for him.
He'll do anything for a peanut or grapes, so I've been trying to make him move around the playtop of his cage by showing him where I "place" the goodies at, then he goes back to the door and perches.
Any ideas on how I can encourage him to be more active?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Can you put him on the floor and let him explore or follow you around (with supervision of course)? My zon loves to go on walk-abouts around the house. We wrestle and I'm also trying to teach him to fly. In the cage, I put foraging things in different places in the cage and on different levels to encourage him to climb around. Good luck :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Food....they love FOOD. Shredding tells me you need to go to the leafy veggies. Take a bunch and hang from the top of the cage. Or take a bunch and tie onto the perch he may always sit on. It was found at one zoo that food presented in a bowl and tied to a branch that the food on the branch was eaten and played with and the same food in the bowl was ignored.

Change the presentation, arrangement or your behavior and you will find you get a different response.

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.