• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a new parrot concern

sophie09

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie
Hi,
I am going to get a new baby African grey and am worried about the bird not being friendly or like me. I am going to drive around 10 hours to get him and am afraid the parrot may not like me, not be tame, and bite. Please let me know if you have any experience with this or if you know something about this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Best friends aren't made in a day ;) I think it is best to go into any relationship with a new pet knowing there will be work regardless. Whether that work is gaining their trust, defining boundaries, etc, depends on the bird. Babies tend to be really sociable, but you'll need to ensure you don't over bond to prevent unwanted behaviors later :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hello Sophie!! :heart:
Such an exciting time!! I've driven 3 and half hours to pick up birds but 10! Definitely a commitment to get your dream bird. :)

When you meet , be sure to ask the owner/breeder any questions and ask for tips. Have them show you how they ask the bird to step up, favorite treats and foods.

I've taken in unwanted or rescue birds or just ones that need a new home. So I know little about their history sometimes, and no idea if they will take to me right away or not. Its much easier if they trust people or show interest in you. But I know I can earn their trust in time if they don't. It helps thst I've had a background with animals and behavior shaping ( breaking things down to small steps and rewarding till you get to the behavior you want) but there is lots out there you can read up on this , learning to read body language.

What is the history on the bird? How old? How long have they had?

Some articles i like

Last edited: