• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a friend for Preeno

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Right after Buddy and Tweetie's honeymoon period they didn't come to me except when I held millet for them. I just kept at it - talking to them and feeding them from my hand. They LOVE wheat grass! Before I put it in their cage, I'd hold a few blades up to them and they would eat it. Same with their seed/pellet mix - before I put the cups in their cage, I'd put a bit in my hand and they'd come eat it from my hand. Now, when they came out of the cage to fly around, I will offer them some millet and they fly to my hand to eat it. We've now gotten to the point where I can hold my arm up and they'll fly to me and perch for a bit or use my arm as a perch when they play and fly around. This took maybe about two months. Without Buddy, I'm not sure if Tweetie would have gotten so friendly or it might have taken a very long time. I am so happy with the two of them - no regrets.

clarousel

Right after Buddy and Tweetie's honeymoon period they didn't come to me except when I held millet for them. I just kept at it - talking to them and feeding them from my hand. They LOVE wheat grass! Before I put it in their cage, I'd hold a few blades up to them and they would eat it. Same with their seed/pellet mix - before I put the cups in their cage, I'd put a bit in my hand and they'd come eat it from my hand. Now, when they came out of the cage to fly around, I will offer them some millet and they fly to my hand to eat it. We've now gotten to the point where I can hold my arm up and they'll fly to me and perch for a bit or use my arm as a perch when they play and fly around. This took maybe about two months. Without Buddy, I'm not sure if Tweetie would have gotten so friendly or it might have taken a very long time. I am so happy with the two of them - no regrets.
They sound really adorable! Are they both males?

Preeno has started to be more independent now but similar to your budgies, he'll come when it's feeding time. If he wants to do his thing, I'll do mine and he'll come round to hang when he wants to :laugh:

I reckon it could be a similar situation to yours where Preeno becomes less tame and the two birds exchange their knowledge. Perhaps the key to their hearts would be food and just showing them I'm not a threat.

Thank you so much for sharing, it's given me encouragement should I end up getting a second budgie!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I'll toss in my 2 cents :) We added a second male, English Budgie in February. Bao is an adult male, around a year old. He was one of several English Budgies owned by an elderly finch breeder who was retiring due to health reasons. He was not hand raised or fed, but has tamed down nicely. He's still a bit skittish when you put your hand in the cage, but steps up right away... never bites, and is sooo sweet. Bubbles-our female; we've had since she was around 6-8 weeks old, she was hand fed and around people her entire life. Bubbles and I are very bonded, she's regurgitated to me, preens my face, always wants to eat my food/drink, and is happy to sit on my shoulder for hours. Bao on the other hand, will fly off my shoulder after a bit, refuses to take ANY food from my hand, and would prefer to hang out alone or with Bubbles in the cage. Bubbles is almost 2 years old now, but her bond with me hasn't changed much since we added Bao. She's my sassy poof poof girl. Bao... well... he's cute and mellow. Bao HAS recently fallen in love with my fingernails however... head bobbing and regurgitating to my thumb especially. So... progress??? (no he's not masturbating.... yet :wacky::roflmao::wideyed:)

I think it depends on the bird AND your bond with your first bird before you add another. I wasn't going to add a second bird, but I ended up going back to work full time and Bao needed a home... so it was a win-win. I have NEVER seen them preen each other. Bao feeds Bubbles, but Bubbles NEVER reciprocates. Bao will go out of his way to go around her, with a healthy distance, if he wants to go somewhere in the cage and she's in the way. I've seen him hop from a perch, to the side of the cage, to another perch to go up and around her. So, I honestly don't known how well bonded they are. I've never seen them actually fight down at the bottom of the cage, nor have I ever seen anything that worried me. Bubbles is just a diva, bossy hen! I don't want eggs/babies either... just FYI.

Also, in regards to the AC issue, I recently bought a ceramic heat bulb (in the lower wattage range) and put it in a metal utility lamp above the cage. It's the kind for reptiles, and my Vet said it would be fine to make a "warm spot" in the cage. Birds can move away if they want. I turn it on when our house AC is on, in case they get cold. Bubbles has also always had one of those small, flat heaters that is made for birds, that screws to the side of the cage. She likes to rub her head on it.

clarousel

I'll toss in my 2 cents :) We added a second male, English Budgie in February. Bao is an adult male, around a year old. He was one of several English Budgies owned by an elderly finch breeder who was retiring due to health reasons. He was not hand raised or fed, but has tamed down nicely. He's still a bit skittish when you put your hand in the cage, but steps up right away... never bites, and is sooo sweet. Bubbles-our female; we've had since she was around 6-8 weeks old, she was hand fed and around people her entire life. Bubbles and I are very bonded, she's regurgitated to me, preens my face, always wants to eat my food/drink, and is happy to sit on my shoulder for hours. Bao on the other hand, will fly off my shoulder after a bit, refuses to take ANY food from my hand, and would prefer to hang out alone or with Bubbles in the cage. Bubbles is almost 2 years old now, but her bond with me hasn't changed much since we added Bao. She's my sassy poof poof girl. Bao... well... he's cute and mellow. Bao HAS recently fallen in love with my fingernails however... head bobbing and regurgitating to my thumb especially. So... progress??? (no he's not masturbating.... yet :wacky::roflmao::wideyed:)

I think it depends on the bird AND your bond with your first bird before you add another. I wasn't going to add a second bird, but I ended up going back to work full time and Bao needed a home... so it was a win-win. I have NEVER seen them preen each other. Bao feeds Bubbles, but Bubbles NEVER reciprocates. Bao will go out of his way to go around her, with a healthy distance, if he wants to go somewhere in the cage and she's in the way. I've seen him hop from a perch, to the side of the cage, to another perch to go up and around her. So, I honestly don't known how well bonded they are. I've never seen them actually fight down at the bottom of the cage, nor have I ever seen anything that worried me. Bubbles is just a diva, bossy hen! I don't want eggs/babies either... just FYI.

Also, in regards to the AC issue, I recently bought a ceramic heat bulb (in the lower wattage range) and put it in a metal utility lamp above the cage. It's the kind for reptiles, and my Vet said it would be fine to make a "warm spot" in the cage. Birds can move away if they want. I turn it on when our house AC is on, in case they get cold. Bubbles has also always had one of those small, flat heaters that is made for birds, that screws to the side of the cage. She likes to rub her head on it.
Can I just say Bao is such a cute name?! In Mandarin its means 'bread/bun' and is one of my favourite foods :laugh:

Preeno does the head bobbing to my toes and thumb too. There's a few occassions where he's fallen asleep on my foot whilst I'm practising violin. I'm like, excuse me, how is this a comfy spot?! :roflmao:

Oh I thought the AC was an issue because of the air rather than the temperature!

I feel like I'm overthinking the whole taming process with the second budgie but I just want to be extra prepared for what could possibly happen.

Thank you for sharing! It's so nice to read about everyone's experiences :)

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Can I just say Bao is such a cute name?! In Mandarin its means 'bread/bun' and is one of my favourite foods :laugh:

Preeno does the head bobbing to my toes and thumb too. There's a few occassions where he's fallen asleep on my foot whilst I'm practising violin. I'm like, excuse me, how is this a comfy spot?! :roflmao:

Oh I thought the AC was an issue because of the air rather than the temperature!

I feel like I'm overthinking the whole taming process with the second budgie but I just want to be extra prepared for what could possibly happen.

Thank you for sharing! It's so nice to read about everyone's experiences :)
Re: Bao... I know! I'm an ABC (American Born Chinese, 4th generation). We thought Bubbles and Bao sounded cute together!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner. I have not read through all of it yet but I think you are wondering about 1 budgie or 2? @Mybluebird is right, I have a single hen, Sam. For the most part I believe that if you are not going to be home for most of the day, everyday then a second budgie is a very good idea. They are flock animals and if there is no other budgie then you are their flock. It also depends very much on your birds personality. Each one will have it's own distinct personality. Certainly take time to tame and bond with your bird first before introducing a second. Sam was and is a VERY feisty, outgoing, and BOSSY little hen...lol. She tamed very, very quickly. She bonded to both my husband and I and is now our velcro bird. We are home all day with her however and she is never in her cage. She has the run of the house and is quick to tell us off if we leave even just to get groceries. So if you don't have this kind of time to give your bird or if your bird has a shy, introverted personality then I would most definitely suggest a second bird. As I type this Sam is tap-dancing with my fingers. I also can't use my phone without having her sitting on it attempting to call someone. The bathroom is no longer a solitary adventure either. I always have a guest on my shoulder. So if you want time to breathe...a single bird is probably not the answer...lol.

clarousel

Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner. I have not read through all of it yet but I think you are wondering about 1 budgie or 2? @Mybluebird is right, I have a single hen, Sam. For the most part I believe that if you are not going to be home for most of the day, everyday then a second budgie is a very good idea. They are flock animals and if there is no other budgie then you are their flock. It also depends very much on your birds personality. Each one will have it's own distinct personality. Certainly take time to tame and bond with your bird first before introducing a second. Sam was and is a VERY feisty, outgoing, and BOSSY little hen...lol. She tamed very, very quickly. She bonded to both my husband and I and is now our velcro bird. We are home all day with her however and she is never in her cage. She has the run of the house and is quick to tell us off if we leave even just to get groceries. So if you don't have this kind of time to give your bird or if your bird has a shy, introverted personality then I would most definitely suggest a second bird. As I type this Sam is tap-dancing with my fingers. I also can't use my phone without having her sitting on it attempting to call someone. The bathroom is no longer a solitary adventure either. I always have a guest on my shoulder. So if you want time to breathe...a single bird is probably not the answer...lol.
Thank you for sharing your experience! Sam sounds really cute! There's been too many times Preeno has stepped on the call button and I have to shoo him off my phone to quickly hang up and apologise! I would say he's very tame and sociable since I had him from 4-5 weeks old and he steps up for anyone (depending on whether he likes them!). But I've only had him around 3 months so that's not very long either.

Yes I think a second budgie is ideal but I realised my cage is too small for 2 (Lilliphut L01, slightly larger than the Vision). I recently invested in this upgrade and with 3 vet visits, I don't think I can purchase a larger cage. Also, my room is not that big and I don't have space elsewhere for a larger cage :(

I feel a little stuck right now and guilty that I can't give Preeno the best care.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
He sounds bonded to you. And totally tame. He certainly doesn't sound lonely. He sounds quite happy to interact with his human. Give him all the attention you can and allow others to interact with him as well. Give him lots of play spots in your room to keep him stimulated. Do you trust him to be free in your room when you are not there? I had a lone budgie in my childhood that had to be in his cage until I got home from school. Then he had free reign. He was the happiest little guy I've ever seen. Don't feel guilty. Just love him the best you can. That's often enough ;)

clarousel

He sounds bonded to you. And totally tame. He certainly doesn't sound lonely. He sounds quite happy to interact with his human. Give him all the attention you can and allow others to interact with him as well. Give him lots of play spots in your room to keep him stimulated. Do you trust him to be free in your room when you are not there? I had a lone budgie in my childhood that had to be in his cage until I got home from school. Then he had free reign. He was the happiest little guy I've ever seen. Don't feel guilty. Just love him the best you can. That's often enough ;)
Does he? That's very reassuring! He's started doing a new thing in the morning where he can't leave me alone, then when I hold him close to my face he goes quiet and looks at me intently :o:

Yes I'll try setting up play areas. He usually loves my desk and foraging the floor. Windows are his rest/singing spots. I've had to limit his toys for 2 weeks as advised from the vet, hopefully once he's fully okay he can have his favourite chew toys hung up again.

I would like to leave him in my room uncaged but my room door doesn't shut and I don't know when it'll get fixed. A bit risky if the wind blows it open or people wander in. The most I've left him unattended has been 2hrs and I'm just elsewhere in the house.

For now, I work from home on Wednesdays for half the day so that's a good break in the week that he can get lots of out of cage time :)

Thank you for the reassurance Lori D Pert! I'll definitely give him all the love I can!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hi @clarousel and Preeno!

He loves music though so that could be an alternative?
Mine love music as well!

Okay I've stuck to a routine so far. Although I have some late days where he only gets to come out in the morning unfortunately. I've read on here about the acceptable amount of out of cage/interaction so I do feel guilty I can't provide more
Some don't get as much out of cage time as others, but hey Preeno sounds very happy!

But I wouldn't want him out unsupervised for too long in case he gets hurt. Unlikely but still risky.
Yes, I so agree - risky when unsupervised. Especially when they are young.

Now that you mention it, Preeno would go mad knowing there's another bird around! I would most likely have to use my toilet and that would be tricky since I currently have trouble keeping him out of it! Unless I wait till we move out but that's also tricky because rent here is sky high...
I vote for waiting... I think it would be easier on all of you.

I'm in Texas, and AC is a definite must. Mine are very used to it, but it doesn't blow right on them.

Your baby is gorgeous!

clarousel

Hi @clarousel and Preeno!

Mine love music as well!

Some don't get as much out of cage time as others, but hey Preeno sounds very happy!

Yes, I so agree - risky when unsupervised. Especially when they are young.

I vote for waiting... I think it would be easier on all of you.

I'm in Texas, and AC is a definite must. Mine are very used to it, but it doesn't blow right on them.

Your baby is gorgeous!
Hello!

Yes I think I'll wait till we manage to find our own place. I realised we can't get those flight cages many members here suggest (usually on Amazon) though. But I've got time to think of that. It'll be less taxing on us too... will have to educate the fiance on bird safety etc. and getting used to being in each other's space :wacky:

I'm now waiting on a radio to arrive. It has a storage card input so I can make Preeno a playlist for the meantime :)

Ah good to know AC is okay!

Thank you for your kind words!! :laugh:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Sounds like you and Preeno have a great start in your relationship. Hopefully his medical issues clear up very soon Do come back often and let us know how you are doing together. We love pictures!

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
One other thing... You can hang a cheap curtain, fabric remnant, old bed-sheet, etc... from a tension rod, over any open doorway or window. You bird won't fly into it, and will treat it as a solid wall. That should solve the issue of your door not shutting. Also, be very careful the bird doesn't accidentally get shut in a door if perched on top of door. We will be watching my sisters dog over the weekend, and I have a thin, sheer curtain that goes up in the upper part of the doorway and a baby gate in the lower doorway so dog can't get in (doggies are NOT allowed anywhere near the birds, they want to eat them). I don't like shutting the door all the time, so this is a good option. I also leave a radio on to a local classical station for them.

Also, don't feel you need to have completely "free range" birds. I worked part time and wasn't always home before we got Bao, Bubbles was just fine. A lot of birds also really like their cages too, Bubbles and Bao will often just fly back home when they're out and "done" with the "hoomans". I often leave the door open and they still stay inside.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
Air conditioner! A lot of people can't live without it here cause it's so hot. I've been brought up to save electricity so we try to use it as little as possible, unless it's super unbearable.
I know exactly what you mean I lived in Singapore for about 12 years, it gets soo hot!

clarousel

One other thing... You can hang a cheap curtain, fabric remnant, old bed-sheet, etc... from a tension rod, over any open doorway or window. You bird won't fly into it, and will treat it as a solid wall. That should solve the issue of your door not shutting. Also, be very careful the bird doesn't accidentally get shut in a door if perched on top of door. We will be watching my sisters dog over the weekend, and I have a thin, sheer curtain that goes up in the upper part of the doorway and a baby gate in the lower doorway so dog can't get in (doggies are NOT allowed anywhere near the birds, they want to eat them). I don't like shutting the door all the time, so this is a good option. I also leave a radio on to a local classical station for them.

Also, don't feel you need to have completely "free range" birds. I worked part time and wasn't always home before we got Bao, Bubbles was just fine. A lot of birds also really like their cages too, Bubbles and Bao will often just fly back home when they're out and "done" with the "hoomans". I often leave the door open and they still stay inside.
Ah! That's a good idea but unfortunately there isn't two walls to fix a tension rod. I'm hoping the door will be replaced in the next few months.

Thanks for the reassurance! So far Preeno seems happy :) if I work late at least he goes to bed at a good time too as it gets dark around 7-7.30pm

Yes Preeno would go on a hunt for seeds in his cage. Sometimes he doesn't realise the cage is open either!

Sounds like you and Preeno have a great start in your relationship. Hopefully his medical issues clear up very soon Do come back often and let us know how you are doing together. We love pictures!
Thank you! I hope so too. He's looking good recently but I'm staying vigilant still. Will defo share pictures of him! :D Here's one of him looking fluffy!
20200703_145440.jpg
I know exactly what you mean I lived in Singapore for about 12 years, it gets soo hot!
And we blast AC indoors that it's freeeeezing! But maybe it's just me :wacky:

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Ah! That's a good idea but unfortunately there isn't two walls to fix a tension rod. I'm hoping the door will be replaced in the next few months.

Thanks for the reassurance! So far Preeno seems happy :) if I work late at least he goes to bed at a good time too as it gets dark around 7-7.30pm

Yes Preeno would go on a hunt for seeds in his cage. Sometimes he doesn't realise the cage is open either!

Thank you! I hope so too. He's looking good recently but I'm staying vigilant still. Will defo share pictures of him! :D Here's one of him looking fluffy!
View attachment 346080

And we blast AC indoors that it's freeeeezing! But maybe it's just me :wacky:
You actually put the tension rod IN the actual door frame. :joyful: