• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a Finch

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Ok so I've been wanting to get finches for a while and I was wondering if anyone here knew some good breeders (preferably ones that hand raise them) in or around Virginia. Also if anyone has any tips or things I need to know about finches that would be great! I've read that finches like quiet areas so should I keep them in a separate room than my budgies? My budgies are very loud and like to listen to music all day. Any information would help though :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are not many finch breeders who handfeed their babies regularly, however @finchly may know of someone who does.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Julia, your finches will do just fine in a room with budgies. The loud noises they don't like are caique screams, in my house -- bigger birds. They can't stand that. But they are surrounded by a budgie, cockatiels, and parrotlets and they're fine.

Let me think on breeders near VA, I know there are some. I have one I can ask if she'll handfeed, do you have a particular species in mind?

You don't have to get specific if you don't want to but what part of VA?

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Hi Julia, your finches will do just fine in a room with budgies. The loud noises they don't like are caique screams, in my house -- bigger birds. They can't stand that. But they are surrounded by a budgie, cockatiels, and parrotlets and they're fine.

Let me think on breeders near VA, I know there are some. I have one I can ask if she'll handfeed, do you have a particular species in mind?

You don't have to get specific if you don't want to but what part of VA?
I really like the way zebra finches look and sound and Java sparrows too but I honestly think all the finches are adorable :)

I live right between Richmond and Powhatan

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I keep budgies and finches together in a large aviary. They get along fine and both birds sing quite a bit, so they appear to be happy. The finch song is much more "subtle" but easy to spot if you know what to listen for.
20200714_140250.jpg
Once they get used to the sounds of your other birds and your taste in music, it should be no issue.

I'm afraid I can't help with finding a local breeder. I had no luck in my area so I bought my finches from a more distant breeder and had them shipped. They are Lady Gouldian Finches.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I read on a site that you shouldn't keep finches of the same colour together.. so does that mean that I can't keep several different types and none the same type?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What kind of finches are you planning to keep?

Many finch species do well together, but it is important to do your research and confirm that they are compatible before you do any mixing. Some species of finch are too aggressive or become territorial when nesting.

As far as mixing colors, that shouldn't matter unless you are planning to breed. Certain colors of Lady Gouldian finch are not genetically compatible. But they get along together just fine.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I live right between Richmond and Powhatan
Oh ok. The breeder I was thinking of is 2.5 hours from you.

I can’t think of any finches you can’t keep with their own kind! If you’re talking about the study claiming Gouldian head color incompatibility, I’ve talked with other long time breeders and none of us have experienced the results mentioned . In fact, one of my best pairs is a red head male with a black head hen. So I’m thinking in captivity it’s different or something else comes into play.

clarousel

I keep budgies and finches together in a large aviary. They get along fine and both birds sing quite a bit, so they appear to be happy. The finch song is much more "subtle" but easy to spot if you know what to listen for.
View attachment 346071
Once they get used to the sounds of your other birds and your taste in music, it should be no issue.

I'm afraid I can't help with finding a local breeder. I had no luck in my area so I bought my finches from a more distant breeder and had them shipped. They are Lady Gouldian Finches.
Is that a gouldian finch I see? :o:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Why yes, it is! There are three of them in that picture, along with four button quail and two budgies.

The silver and yellow finches are color mutations of the natural green-backed finches.

clarousel

Why yes, it is! There are three of them in that picture, along with four button quail and two budgies.

The silver and yellow finches are color mutations of the natural green-backed finches.
The yellow one is so cute :') looks a bit like a candy corn.

Button quails!!! I think you have my dream bird combination :xflove:

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
What kind of finches are you planning to keep?

Many finch species do well together, but it is important to do your research and confirm that they are compatible before you do any mixing. Some species of finch are too aggressive or become territorial when nesting.

As far as mixing colors, that shouldn't matter unless you are planning to breed. Certain colors of Lady Gouldian finch are not genetically compatible. But they get along together just fine.
I'm thinking zebra finches because I love their colours and their little quack sounds :b

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Zebras are a great little finch. Very active, fun, and social. They are easy keepers and love being kept in groups. Be sure to get a decent sized cage for them because they love to fly. Finches are generally not that easy to train or tame, so they won't get much "out of cage" time, like a parrot. There are exceptions, but typically you can expect zebra finches to be a "look, don't touch" kind of bird.

I have had surprising luck with my Gouldians, because they have all tamed down rather nicely. The yellow finch, Jasper, is especially friendly and curious. I've managed to get him to perch on my finger briefly by bribing him with millet. So it isn't impossible to hand tame a finch, but it is certainly not the norm.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
One way to give them out of cage time is to make a room bird safe and let them come out. If you keep the food and water in the cage, they'll go back to it.

I have a bird room and do let my various species out in groups. No other birds bother the finches so they can be out almost any time (I don't give them that much freedom because I have to count heads and be sure everyone is back -- and could make a mistake). But the flying is healthy for them just like any larger bird.

I'm glad so many people here love the zebra finch sounds. I don't; the meep meeps drive me crazy. I love to look at them, and I did raise black chest/black cheek for awhile. Just didn't like the noise. And yet I have a pair of caiques that could scream your eardrums off and they're right beside my office desk. Go figure.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I'm glad so many people here love the zebra finch sounds. I don't; the meep meeps drive me crazy. I love to look at them, and I did raise black chest/black cheek for awhile. Just didn't like the noise.
I can understand that. In fact, I was pretty relieved when my outdoor aviary was complete so I could move my finches out of the house. The Lady Gouldian finches make a variety of sounds, ranging from a lovely little warbling sound to an extremely irritating noise that I can best describe as "distressed whining". The first time I heard it, I thought one of my dogs was in pain. I looked all over the house in a panic and finally realized it was coming from the finches! I got more used to hearing the sound, but it still drives me up the wall, like hearing nails on a blackboard.

Fortunately, out in the aviary, the parakeets are making such a racket, I don't even notice those finch noises anymore and can still enjoy the softer songs, when I catch one of them in a singing mood.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
One way to give them out of cage time is to make a room bird safe and let them come out. If you keep the food and water in the cage, they'll go back to it.

I have a bird room and do let my various species out in groups. No other birds bother the finches so they can be out almost any time (I don't give them that much freedom because I have to count heads and be sure everyone is back -- and could make a mistake). But the flying is healthy for them just like any larger bird.

I'm glad so many people here love the zebra finch sounds. I don't; the meep meeps drive me crazy. I love to look at them, and I did raise black chest/black cheek for awhile. Just didn't like the noise. And yet I have a pair of caiques that could scream your eardrums off and they're right beside my office desk. Go figure.
@finchly , I know this is a different thread, but I think I worked out what the weird noise sounds like of of mine makes! It is like a mellow, more chirpy seagull!

clarousel

I can understand that. In fact, I was pretty relieved when my outdoor aviary was complete so I could move my finches out of the house. The Lady Gouldian finches make a variety of sounds, ranging from a lovely little warbling sound to an extremely irritating noise that I can best describe as "distressed whining". The first time I heard it, I thought one of my dogs was in pain. I looked all over the house in a panic and finally realized it was coming from the finches! I got more used to hearing the sound, but it still drives me up the wall, like hearing nails on a blackboard.

Fortunately, out in the aviary, the parakeets are making such a racket, I don't even notice those finch noises anymore and can still enjoy the softer songs, when I catch one of them in a singing mood.
Do you have a video/recording of that whining noise? I'm so curious! :roflmao:

Also would you ever do a video tour of your aviary? Would be really cool! :shy:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

That is sooo funny. I love the Gouldian sounds! I too am anxious to hear the whining noise.

Parakeet’s are noisy, aren’t they? I never knew that until I got @Lady Jane ’s pair. :D