• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting a black palm in a few years any advice? :)

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
at my current point in life i have no time for another bird, i’m too busy with nursing school and don’t wanna bring another baby into chaos, especially one as delicate as a too, however i’ve been saving and wanting one for years i plan on getting a HUGE cage, plenty of toys, basically the works. i even have a reputable shop and breeder selected that i plan on getting it from, however i would LOVE to know everyone’s experience and what i need to prep for, what toys they’re more likely to enjoy and things i need to incorporate in my routine!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Couple of tips/ general info
Sorry if I sound harsh I just want u to make the best decision for yourself and the bird
- make sure you don’t get scammed since they are so rare and expensive (20,000+)
- really think through this because a career in nursing can be very demanding
- are u prepared to have someone else to take care of him when he outlived you?
- think if ur future will drastically change (kids? Moving? Marriage, or what if ur health suffers due to the dust?)
- why specifically a black palm over any other type?
- tbh I can’t think of any black palm owners so I’ll tag some people with too experience or who know @Shezbug @JLcribber @sunnysmom @redindiaink @macawpower58 @Macawnutz @Wthensler @cassiesdad
@Just-passn-thru

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Couple of tips/ general info
Sorry if I sound harsh I just want u to make the best decision for yourself and the bird
- make sure you don’t get scammed since they are so rare and expensive (20,000+)
- really think through this because a career in nursing can be very demanding
- are u prepared to have someone else to take care of him when he outlived you?
- think if ur future will drastically change (kids? Moving? Marriage, or what if ur health suffers due to the dust?)
- why specifically a black palm over any other type?
- tbh I can’t think of any black palm owners so I’ll tag some people with too experience or who know @Shezbug @JLcribber @sunnysmom @redindiaink @macawpower58 @Macawnutz @Wthensler @cassiesdad
@Just-passn-thru
thank you sm, i had a family friend who had a black palm 20+ years and fell in love with him. i plan on doing nurse practitioning in the long run so i can create a really uniform schedule. AND THANK YOU FOR THE SCAM PART, i’ve went through 3 different people trying to find one with any credibility or a location i could physically visit before i found the ppl i’m going with! (OH AND TO ADD, i plan on getting way way way more experience with them before getting one myself, there’s not a lot in my state but a few that i know of. and i totally get what you mean about looking out for the bird, they’re special and deserve the best care they can receive)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Be careful what you wish for. If you don't have any previous large parrot experience you are in for a rude awakening. Cockatoos don't do well in any kind of cage that is not measured in feet/meters. They need an "environment". The cage is just a place sleep and call home base.
i even have a reputable shop and breeder selected that i plan on getting it from,
No such thing in my opinion. One off the biggest mistakes you can make is getting a baby bird (because I'm going to do it right from the beginning). You are going to be a great mom. This bird is going to love you.

At about 5-7 years old this cockatoo is going to turn into an adult. Hormones are going to start to dictate this birds behaviour. It's going to want a mate (new blood). You as "mom" are not mate worthy. All of a sudden this bird does not like you anymore and takes a keen interest in a friend/spouse/acquaintance and choose them as a mate. This is a very common scenario. There is no harder bird to look after than a cockatoo.

An adult bird that chooses you is a relationship that will not change and you will have the best success with. This is where exposure to these birds in a place like a rescue will be invaluable to you. If you're serious volunteer at a rescue and get some hands on with these birds. You might change your mind about getting one. Please don't shop. Adopt.

Some insightful reading for you.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Be careful what you wish for. If you don't have any previous large parrot experience you are in for a rude awakening. Cockatoos don't do well in any kind of cage that is not measured in feet/meters. They need an "environment". The cage is just a place sleep and call home base.

No such thing in my opinion. One off the biggest mistakes you can make is getting a baby bird (because I'm going to do it right from the beginning). You are going to be a great mom. This bird is going to love you.

At about 5-7 years old this cockatoo is going to turn into an adult. Hormones are going to start to dictate this birds behaviour. It's going to want a mate (new blood). You as "mom" are not mate worthy. All of a sudden this bird does not like you anymore and takes a keen interest in a friend/spouse/acquaintance and choose them as a mate. This is a very common scenario. There is no harder bird to look after than a cockatoo.

An adult bird that chooses you is a relationship that will not change and you will have the best success with. This is where exposure to these birds in a place like a rescue will be invaluable to you. If you're serious volunteer at a rescue and get some hands on with these birds. You might change your mind about getting one. Please don't shop. Adopt.

Some insightful reading for you.

ofc! i’d love to adopt ive never seen a black palm for adoption in my area, i’ll be sure to read the article you listed! i’m very aware that cockatoos and large birds in general during hormones are pretty horrendous to deal with, especially if you’re the one they direct anger at. i have volunteered in the past and it was a great experience but was really depressing also, especially seeing all the macaws that get put up :( , i plan on giving whatever the next bird i receive everything they need to have a great quality of life

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking along the same lines at Lady Jane. There's a recent thread with some sketchy behaviour going down about someone's large parrots. The security threat may not occur to everyone.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most people consider black palms at the same level as a hyacinth or even above in terms of price/ rarity and as unfortunate as it sounds many people consider them as commodities and will stop at nothing to get one, some members on here who do have hyacinths have really top notch security so factor in the monthly cost of a really top level security system

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
eh
Most people consider black palms at the same level as a hyacinth or even above in terms of price/ rarity and as unfortunate as it sounds many people consider them as commodities and will stop at nothing to get one, some members on here who do have hyacinths have really top notch security so factor in the monthly cost of a really top level security system
i totally agree! in all honesty i should have put my experience w large demanding birds, the volunteer work i’ve done at my local macaw cockatoo rescue and the care i know goes into them into the op, cockatoos are the hardest species i know of and i definitely wouldn’t jump the gun on getting one, everyone in this thread just wants to prevent another too getting abandoned and put into a shelter when it could’ve been prevented! and anyone not serious about a bird would be easily shifted when given all of this info! i appreciate the community and everyone concerned about my future feather baby lmao. :p

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
eh

i totally agree! in all honesty i should have put my experience w large demanding birds, the volunteer work i’ve done at my local macaw cockatoo rescue and the care i know goes into them into the op, cockatoos are the hardest species i know of and i definitely wouldn’t jump the gun on getting one, everyone in this thread just wants to prevent another too getting abandoned and put into a shelter when it could’ve been prevented! and anyone not serious about a bird would be easily shifted when given all of this info! i appreciate the community and everyone concerned about my future feather baby lmao. :p
Since you haven’t turned and left You may have the right stuff to save a cockatoo. It starts with thick skin. :)

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Since you haven’t turned and left You may have the right stuff to save a cockatoo. It starts with thick skin. :)
HAHA thank you :p i appreciate the article you listed, it was very insightful, i remember just getting into birds and seeing everyone have a happy hut, and then being shocked when i found out that they had so many problems with them. i started checking to see if all my toys were safe after that lmao

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The only black palm I have encountered is at the National Aviary in Pittsburgh. I really don't know what their care entails. I wonder if you reached out to them if someone would give you advice on diet, care, etc for them. They are stunningly beautiful birds.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
The only black palm I have encountered is at the National Aviary in Pittsburgh. I really don't know what their care entails. I wonder if you reached out to them if someone would give you advice on diet, care, etc for them. They are stunningly beautiful birds.
ill definitely have to, i live in a very parrot rich state that used to sell em just when they started captive breeding, now they just sell umbrellas goffins and the occasional major mitchell’s, i’m hoping to adopt or get a rehome but there’s few and far between and honestly i wouldn’t want to trust pet store info! thank you for the rec :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
ill definitely have to, i live in a very parrot rich state that used to sell em just when they started captive breeding, now they just sell umbrellas goffins and the occasional major mitchell’s, i’m hoping to adopt or get a rehome but there’s few and far between and honestly i wouldn’t want to trust pet store info! thank you for the rec :)
I have never come across one kept as a pet and definitely never seen one at a rescue. I would imagine because of their cost people would sell one before giving to a rescue.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I have never come across one kept as a pet and definitely never seen one at a rescue. I would imagine because of their cost people would sell one before giving to a rescue.
exactly, i think i either have to go through rehomes or get a baby and have a plan for them after i pass, which isn’t the most favorable but it’s what would need to be put in place