• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting a bit nippy

Piper E

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! Just wondering, my 7 month Quaker Kui just started getting a bit nippy and when in her cage she has decided not to step up. Hmmm, thought hormones but she's too young for that. She also ramps up her noise level whenever she hears my voice or the tv. When I leave the room she does the "ack ack" over and over. I try to ignore and whistle back hoping to calm her. She has learned to whistle but just does it randomly lol! She does get good 12 hours of dark but her cage is situated where even when covered she can here us and the tv, but she stays quiet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For Quakers, let them have the cage as Their Space. It is natural instinct for them to protect it. Open the cage and let her come out on her terms. Don't make her step up from inside.

The call you are hearing is a flock call. She is saying, "come back flock!" or "you forgot me!" Is she flighted?

As for talking over the TV, that's also been my experience with Quakers. They are naturally noisy and she is just joining the chorus. I've learned to watch TV with subtitles and on a lower setting lol

As for nippy, she's testing her boundaries. When she bites, set her down immediately, give her a nasty displeased look, and turn your back on in her. Body language is powerful

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
She is testing the waters just like any toddler :) some might disagree with me but each time the seasons change my birds get nippy. I use Avicalm in their water and maybe add a hour or so to their bed time.

Piper E

Meeting neighbors
You make me feel like I have a bit of control (haha)! Yes, I think she is matching the tv sound, the louder it goes the louder she gets. My husband turned down the volume and she quieted! Magic! I will definitely put her down when she gets nippy. I know she is craving attention and she gets it, but wondered if she was getting spoiled? Can you spoil a bird?? I have heard some people say to keep her caged a bit more than normal. She is not flighted, when I got her the breeder had clipped her wings and they are not grown out. We have a 2 story home and I have a travel cage that she plays on when I go up to work so she is with me a lot during the day. Thank you @Mizzely for some sound advice!
@msplantladi the seasons are quickly changing here in Arizona and yes, I would say her change has come with the change. I have never tried Avicalm but will look into it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes you can spoil a bird, but realistically they are flock animals and craving to be with you is just instinct. You're the flock :) if I'm home, my cage door is open to allow the choice. :)

Thanks for the kind words and follow I just got Ripley 2 months ago and nursing him back to health :heart: