• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting a bird down from a tree

lilous mom

Sitting on the front steps
Hi, I didn't really know where else to post this. I found a lost cockatiel outside in my neighborhood in one of the trees yesterday. He is so far up we couldn't get it even with a ladder or like a long stick or anything. Somehow he made it through the night and he hasn't moved and we can hear him yelling and trying to call for other birds.

We tried calling him down and we brought some millet and played cockatiel bird noises on the phone. He sounds exhausted and tired but he isn't moving. Anyone have any advice on what else we could do? Since he's so far up in the tree we're at a loss of what to do.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It would be expensive, so I would not recommend it unless it was your bird, however a tree trimming company would have vehicles with built in ladders that could reach the top of pretty much any tree. Other than that, finding someone to climb the tree is the only other real option, although it is absolutely not safe especially as the person would then have to get back down the tree with the bird in tow. It is sad, but sometimes it is just a waiting game.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Going out from tree so bird would fly a less steep angle down can help. As birds not use to flying have some fear of flying down.

If you can get safely to a near roof or garage or a ladder out from tree do can more glide down or move laterally.

Splashing water, as they get thirsty before hunger many times. And when rescued offer applesauce, apples , even grapes to help with dehydration and electrolytes.

It's not unusual to take to the second or third day to feel confident in moving. But keep trying!! Oh wish you success, fingers crossed

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This may sound weird, but if anyone nearby has a pet cockatiel you can take their help. You can bring the pet tiel in a carrying cage, the lost bird may come down to its counterpart. This is an old technique to catch wild birds.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't know that it's fear of flying down as much as lack of know-how: not many people work with their birds on flying down. Some people recommend hosing the bird down, but I don't agree with that. If you don't get the bird, you have a soaked bird that's going to have to spend the night outside and may get cold. At the least, it'll be stressed out and likely to suffer an infection. I recommend you call around for a cherry picker and see if someone can get the bird. If you do this, don't take a towel as that scares some birds, so the bird may fly off and be back to square one. Also, whoever goes up in the cherry picker shouldn't ask the bird to step up but should grab it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are arborist that rescue cats from trees. They have the equipment and experience however it can be difficult to find one. They also get birds if they dont fly away first. There are two guys that do this on FB but only in
the state of Washington. You could call them and ask if they could refer you to a person in your state.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne