• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Get something on the windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
We nearly lost Udo when he flew into on the birdroom windows during the build. We are currently using a combination of decals, stained glass, Wingdows window perches, and tall plants...in every window that they may fly into in the house. So far so good, and all of our birds are flighted now (except for Udo). Also don't forget about screen door - there are magnet/pins that you can attach to screens too (helps humans too :o:).

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Holy smoke! Is he all right?! :eek:
He is fine from the collision - it was earlier this summer and I posted about it on the "other" forum - I posted pics of all the feathers that were left on the floor and window sill...Udo has had a hard few months :(

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Yes, I remember and thought for some reason that this was another mishap. He definitely has had a few difficult months. Sorry, it was my fault for jumping to conclusion. :o:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Jasper also flew head on into a window not to long ago. I now have masking tape on the window and just received the window clings I ordered in the mail.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am glad he is OK! I need to get some of those window decals also.

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Is there anyway you all can post pictures of what you have done with your windows? Do you just put decals all over them or what? :o:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks for the video...I do have some of those window clings...I love the window perches..will have to check them out.

I remember that accident...was so scary.

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Thanks for the video...I do have some of those window clings...I love the window perches..will have to check them out.

I remember that accident...was so scary.

Poor guy has had such a rough go lately - I keep telling him things will get better...then Sherlock dumps him for Penny...and Penny decides she doesn't like Udo and goes after him when ever she decides that would be fun :confused: She is afraid of the crimsons, but not the bigger Udo :huh:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ferdinand, does Udo have any ongoing problems due to the window crash?

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Ferdinand, does Udo have any ongoing problems due to the window crash?
He seems OK, he got a rather severe clip and does not like the fact he cannot fly. :( He is the only non-flier now. It will be interesting how he is when he can fly again - I'm not sure he remembers anything being as woozy as he was afterwards.

Last edited:

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
You can buy window clings in different themes. We are getting quite a collection. I wash them off and store in a flat box on sheets of plexiglass. We have summer window clings, 4th of July winodw clings, back to school window clings, Halloween window clings, Thanksgiving window clings, Christmas window clings, Valentine's window clings, spring window clings, Easter window clings.... We can get them pretty cheaply at the grocery store.

Our 'tiel has had two window collisions which put a small gash between his nares each time so we are extra careful now. The kids put up the window clings, wash them off and put them on the pexiglass to store. So we have a system now.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Another idea I came across last week at the Bronx Zoo - Soap on your windows! It leaves a white hazy mark on your windows that is easily visible for your birds but also easily removed. The zoo uses it to acclimatize new birds to glassed enclosures.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I have window clings that I got from the dollar store, all sorts of holiday ones and I plan on getting more for each one so it will also make the house look decorated :p. In my bathroom I got the stuff from home depot that makes the whole window look like stained glass, it is sort of like contact paper and lets some light through but keeps you from seeing out of others in, I wouldn't use it for any other window than that though because I really like seeing outside.

I like the soaping idea but I would be careful if you have a licker like a lorikeet and anything that they might perch on and taste the glass.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
We nearly lost Udo when he flew into on the birdroom windows during the build. We are currently using a combination of decals, stained glass, Wingdows window perches, and tall plants...in every window that they may fly into in the house. So far so good, and all of our birds are flighted now (except for Udo). Also don't forget about screen door - there are magnet/pins that you can attach to screens too (helps humans too :o:).
There are stickers you can put on windows that reflect UV light so they glow to birds:
Window Alert Stickers (4 pk.)

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Most of our windows all are pretty much covered with blinds. My blinds in my room are usually open but he knows where the window is.

Status
Not open for further replies.