• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gesso

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone! Are there any artists here? I'm wondering if it's safe to use gesso around birds. Thanks!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you use gesso for oils or acrylic painting?

There are various recipes for gesso, with the majority involving some kind of chalk or plaster mixed with an adhesive binder. The exact components vary by brand and application.

Due to the adhesive binder (glue), most gesso will have a noticeable odor. Acrylic gesso often smells strongly of ammonia when it is fresh and wet. And since you typically use gesso over a large surface area, it is recommended to work with gesso in a ventilated work space for your own comfort and good health.

Personally, I would use the same precautions when working with gesso as you would use when working with acrylic paints. Pick a well-ventilated work space away from your birds and keep them away until the paint is dry and any odors have cleared out.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Thanks, Destiny! I use it with acrylics. I noticed the gesso had an odour, so I thought I'd ask here. (I was on another floor of the house when I used it, far from the bird.)