• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Geriatric Diseases of Pet Birds

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geriatric Diseases of Pet Birds

By Sharman M. Hoppes, DVM, ABVP (Avian), Clinical Associate Professor, Zoological Medicine, Department of Veterinary Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Texas A and M University

Until recently, geriatric medicine has been a neglected area of avian medicine. Infectious diseases, inadequate diets, and poor husbandry meant that most pet birds did not live long enough to develop geriatric conditions. As the knowledge base of avian medicine, nutrition, and proper husbandry has grown, so has the life span of pet birds increased. Most pet birds have the potential to live 20−80 yr, depending on their size (with smaller birds having a shorter life span and larger birds a longer life span). With pet birds living longer, the incidence of geriatric-onset diseases, including cataracts, neoplasia, arthritis, and cardiovascular disease, has increased.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE: Geriatric Diseases of Pet Birds - Exotic and Laboratory Animals - Merck Veterinary Manual

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have read that article quite some time ago, but reading it again just reminded me what a very old, young bird Jasper is. She will be only 24 years old in seven days, but her physical condition is that of a 60 year old bird. She has a clinical condition in every one of the areas addressed in the article. Her early diet and almost total inactivity caused her to develop congestive heart disease and later severe atherosclerosis, her two bouts with aspergillosis damaged her respiratory system and her being hatched with three toes forward on her left foot and the subsequent operation to reverse the direction of the third toe has left her with severe arthritis - to the point that two toes had to be amputated. Her liver was compromised by the meds that cured her aspergillosis and her kidneys damaged by long term metacam therapy. Perhaps 5 years ago, Jasper developed a cataract in her left eye - who knows why. Hey - she hasn't had any neoplasia yet.

I know what Jasper and I are facing, but what bothers me the most is people who don't care for their parrots properly and can't be talked into changing their ways. I hate thinking all of the birds facing either a short life or a miserable longer life.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I need to find time to read this article..... just flew through part and stress of handling increases blood flow 300%???? Yikes!

I still remember first vet visit with Secret and she seemed to gasp at one point, now I know why. Thankfully it was an experienced avian vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great read, thanks. I wish we had a library for good articles like this one to be saved.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I saw her give this talk at this year's AAV conference, it was super interesting!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am, I've been working in the field for 6 years and have been lucky enough to work in an exotics only practice for almost 2 :)
Sweet!

You've got to hear Dr. O. sometime then.

Phoenix Landing retreat is next year.... I'll see if I can find the date. You might want to attend that one, too. Last one gave credit for continuing education to those in the business and vet students were there (vets were speaking at some seminars). Nice that they allow regular folks to slip into that retreat.

Rambosmother

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My Quaker parrot is 25 years old. He has been on the hagen Tropican granules. But his cholesterol is super high and the vet wants to change his food to the Harrison organic lifteime granules. He says it is better for geriatric birds. Anyone know if this food would be healthier for him? The hagen has contributed to his long life so I am hesitant to change is food unless I am really sure. He has been in good health all these years. Except 3 years ago he had a tumor removed. Last year another one popped up in a different spot. And few days ago had a huge one removed under his tail near his bum.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tropican has more peanuts and sunflower in. Both of which have lots of bad fats and can contribute to fatty tumors if that is what you guy is having. I like Harrison's by far over the other pellets - too bad my bird doesn't feel that way. More vets recommend Harrison's over other pellets. Tropican at least doesn't have sugar in it.

For your older bird, I think you should look into Roudybush for older birds and give him some Nutriberries for older birds. Sounds like he is converting everything he can to fats and that could be causing his tumors. Lots and lots of low carbohydrate veggies too - little to no fruits.

I have somewhat the same problem with my bird except that the fats that go into her bloodstream cause congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I actually feed my Amazons roudybush and give them 3 senior nutriberries each day.

I know both of mine were wild caught because of their bands. I don't know their actual age. I was given a picture of Secret from 1978 though.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like Harrison's by far over the other pellets - too bad my bird doesn't feel that way. More vets recommend Harrison's over other pellets.
:faint: 16+ years, and Kady has decided he loves :heart: Harrison's pellets this past week. I feel like I got early Christmas presents, lots of them!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks to whomever re-listed this thumbtack. Great read!

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Tropican has more peanuts and sunflower in. Both of which have lots of bad fats and can contribute to fatty tumors if that is what you guy is having. I like Harrison's by far over the other pellets - too bad my bird doesn't feel that way. More vets recommend Harrison's over other pellets. Tropican at least doesn't have sugar in it.

For your older bird, I think you should look into Roudybush for older birds and give him some Nutriberries for older birds. Sounds like he is converting everything he can to fats and that could be causing his tumors. Lots and lots of low carbohydrate veggies too - little to no fruits.

I have somewhat the same problem with my bird except that the fats that go into her bloodstream cause congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis.
Both Harrison’s Lifetime and Tropican Lifetime have peanuts and sunflower as the 4th and 5th ingredients...