• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

genuinely questioning if I can do this

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm wondering how well settled a bird that you've had for 5 weeks can be. Sometimes it can take a few months or more to settle into new routines and surroundings.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks @Pixiebeak
I really feel as you do about his noises and behavior with the food bowl too.
He's a really sweet, curious little guy who needs to settle in a bit more and is just "singing the song of his people" just being himself and maybe to comfort and calm himself.

I think in the future it may not be as constant and frankly since he's so vocal he might turn out to be a good talker, which would probably decrease the noises causing the OP distress.
But no guarantees about anything and if they are more than the OP bargained for and can deal with it is just the way things are, no blame to anyone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you have only had him 5 weeks, I wouldn't make a decision yet. It can take some birds awhile to settle in. If he's in your room, is he alone most of the time? That can also be a cause of screaming. If you do decide to rehome, please be cautious of doing it around the holidays, unless you're planning on taking him to a rescue. Too many people see birds as impulse Christmas presents and they obviously aren't. I suggest waiting until after Christmas. Also have you read the book Good Bird by Barbara Heidenreich? I think all bird owners should read it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh no they have de activated their account @!!!!
Oh you can still stick around and get your dose of parrots here!

No one is judging you! You have been very thoughtful and caring and oro active in looking for answers. You have been wonderful!

We all have oops moments in this life! Even when we think we have researched a topic we can get in the middle of something and be like nope this isn't for me!

There have been others whom have had to re home a parrot.

We usually all don't end up with this first person we date, and each go on to find our right person. Or need to change jobs or even careers to find the right fit. It's just part of life!

Big hugs to you! It was nice getting to know you a little. Abd from everything you shared you are a wonderful soul!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the second video of out of cage noise. That cover or bit of blanket on top of his cage is triggering him a little. Don't have anything like that in top of cage during the day. That can trigger a hormone abd best search in my gccc. If I've left some cover bits on top of her cage it really can make her nuts.. Plus its the only thing of interest up there.
@Wardy has some awesome ones I think!
What do i have ? Bit lost sorry

20221206_160212.jpg
Top of cage is covered with toys when they wake up until they go to sleep they play with them through the bars when caged as well as when theyre out.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
What do i have ? Bit lost sorry

View attachment 418761
Top of cage is covered with toys when they wake up until they go to sleep they play with them through the bars when caged as well as when theyre out.
I was linking you for the great stuff you do your for your birds ! And so you could share your ideas, on foraging and toys

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was linking you for the great stuff you do your for your birds ! And so you could share your ideas
Sorry heavy day in work so not keeping up to date with form

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
As @tapeworm gone why’s her name gone and her picture?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As @tapeworm gone why’s her name gone and her picture?
Camille is transgender and identifies as male - I think he/him/his pronouns are more accurate.

I hope that he hasn't left the forums. It can be so challenging in those bumpy few months and so easy to make hasty decisions :(

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Camille is transgender and identifies as male - I think he/him/his pronouns are more accurate.

I hope that he hasn't left the forums. It can be so challenging in those bumpy few months and so easy to make hasty decisions :(
Oh I am so sorry I did read that too I fully apologise i feel awful now
I just really hope he’s ok

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I didn't know the OP was trans, must have missed other posts
But they probably feel deeply that it is no good to try to make someone something they are not-
for them or the conure.
Wish they hadn't just left so fast though...............

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They can still read in this section of the forums. So, I'm going to post.

You seem to blame yourself a lot. I feel you're unduly harsh on yourself. Conures, especially GCCs, are currently marketed as though they were budgies or zebra finches. That's definitely not your fault. And even smaller birds like budgies and finches drive some people up the wall.

Rehoming carefully to the right home isn't wrong. I'm grateful to the people who sold me my rehomes. Sometimes the best things in life are 'second hand'. :)

You should come back. You may find that you like AA. You may also discover that a species you'd not considered is what's really right for you. :hug4:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’ve tired watching ur videos from other post but they have been deleted

please don’t leave we all want to know you are alright
I am in uk and if you need to talk I am here
I also have two autistic nephews and I work with dementia I know how sensory noise environment changes can affect you you have to do what’s right for you you can’t feel guilty for trying and giving it your best go I had to rehome my cockatiel 8years ago I know I made best decision for her and me and my family there’s no judgment here people were just trying to give advice we just all want to know your ok

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hello!! I'm Camille's best friend, he's okay! He just had a little freak out, aro is absolutely okay, camille will be back as soon as he feels better ❤
Thank you so much for letting us know both are ok can’t wait to see him back

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello!! I'm Camille's best friend, he's okay! He just had a little freak out, aro is absolutely okay, camille will be back as soon as he feels better ❤
Ah bless you, thank you for the update. Sounds like he has a good friend :)

My cockatiel spent days shrieking at nothing and driving me mad. Turned out my husband had left a yellow spray bottle on top of the cage* and she heavily disapproved of it and was giving me a firm telling off :dead:

Not saying that Aro's solution is so simple, but sometimes the most random things can make them uncomfortable. But it does sound like he just needs time to settle in. Maybe take a look at his environment in case there's anything you guys have missed.

*maybe she felt threatened by a more yellow being :lol:

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
Thank you! I was worried about him.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Thank you for all your kind words,I just wanted to say that I'm back, and going to work a little harder on making Aro happy. As I think I've stated before, I have bpd which sometimes causes me to act impulsively and have moments where I just feel like everything I do..isn't great. I feel like it, mixed with noticing that they were just normal conure sounds and I was overreacting, made me feel like I was doing bad, and that I had to be a bad person for not feeling so good about it. It isn't any of your guy's fault, just my own brain connecting dots that weren't there. But I feel better now. Taking a deep breath and reflecting helped me so much. I am going to try harder at understanding Aro, and not immediately assuming that something is wrong just because he's doing something new. I'm sure if something is genuinely bothering him, it will be easier for me to see.

But It's just the noise that is bothering me. And as I've discovered (and was mentioned previously), wearing headphones actually reduces the noise enough that it makes the sounds completely tolerable to me. He isn't a problem. He's just being a bird, and as I've noticed in myself, having him around has GREATLY improved me,my mental health, and my physical health. He makes me feel like life is okay. It's only fair for me to share that feeling with him, and make sure his life is great too. Even if it gets challenging, I know that we can do it. No matter what, he is worth it. I'm a bit scared for when he /actually/ screams..Buut that's for later me to figure out. And I'm sure if I do my best to keep him as happy as he can be, he won't need to do that often.

That being said, I am SO sorry for my overreaction. I am sorry for being so dramatic, it won't happen again. I can't apologize enough for worrying you guys, I spoke to my boyfriend and best friend, and came to an agreement that before I make such a quick choice again and sabotage my changes of getting help from nice people, I will talk to one of them first. It was my first time struggling with my bpd's impulsivness since I got Aro, and a rash decision that I regret, and won't let happen again. I'm going to work hard on improving myself so that it won't happen again, and that he can feel safe in the knowledge that he has a home, for as long as he wants to be here. Thank you all so much for being so kind to me. If it wasn't for my best friend reading out the kind messages you posted, I likely would've just stayed away out of embarrassment. You are all wonderful people, and I thank you so much for your kindness. <3

Thank you, again. I really hope that in times of hardness with you, or your birds, I can provide the help that you have given me. <3 This forum really is one of the kindest places I've been bird wise, and I will never stop being thankful that I joined it.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Oh I am so sorry I did read that too I fully apologise i feel awful now
I just really hope he’s ok
I just wanted to say that you have no reason to feel bad. It's an easy mistake that I've even made myself sometimes (you'd be surprised just how easy it is sometimes to accidentally misgender yourself after years of trying to be something you're not xD), you are completely fine. <3