• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Genetics Conundrum!!!!

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
Ok...
I posted pics of my mated pair before woth genetics questions, and after their first clutch figured we had it figured out...but 2nd clutch and I am CONFUSED!!!!

Female is a Australian Cinnamon (pallid)
Male is a turquoise
Don't know their heritage as they were inherited.
All babies should be visual green split to blue based on everything I have learned...
I have a yellow pin feathered chick. It is young, and they are just starting to come in, but they are VERY obviously yellow and different than the previous clutch and the sibling of this clutch...WTH?!?!

Does this mean that mom (pallid) is split to something that could cause that?

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't have a clue. I'm very curious what you have in your box as nesting material.

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
There is no reason good enough to allow a nest box to be filled with feces.
If you are a breeder, and have some knowledge that you could share regarding this, I would love to hear it...honestly. Please don't read any negative tone. I am new to breeding lovebirds, but have a lot of experience breeding other small birds. The nests would get dirty, but never anything that looked this deliberately "constructed".

Their breeding box gets thoroughly cleaned after each clutch (or even replaced). This is something the birds do naturally in their nest. You are not supposed to go into the nest and disrupt the process while they are sitting...
Honestly, I just always assumed it was poop, it could be something else that they do to create their nest each time. I figure the birds know better than me regarding their reproductive practices, and their nests in the wild most likely look the same.
Any knowledge shared to benefit the birds is always appreciated. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like your hen is split to Turquoise.

The amount of excrement in that nestbox is very concerning. Please read this article.

AMBunny

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn
Looks like your hen is split to Turquoise.

The amount of excrement in that nestbox is very concerning. Please read this article.
The hen? So interesting! I feel like when I think I have it straight, I learn something new! Lol
Thank you for the link to the article!
I will take care of it right away!!!!
I truly appreciate the help. :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Remove the nest, take the chicks out (place them in a dish of some sort lined with kitchen roll), scrape all the muck into the bin and fill it at least 4 inches with aspen shavings, gently press down, then using your knuckles make a small dent where they normally lay and put them back in.
For now you can clean the nest out every 3 days, but you will notice eventually you will be scraping that nest out every other day, then eventually daily.

Remove the wicker nest while you are in there, those are used for canaries.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
If you are a breeder, and have some knowledge that you could share regarding this, I would love to hear it...honestly. Please don't read any negative tone. I am new to breeding lovebirds, but have a lot of experience breeding other small birds. The nests would get dirty, but never anything that looked this deliberately "constructed".

Their breeding box gets thoroughly cleaned after each clutch (or even replaced). This is something the birds do naturally in their nest. You are not supposed to go into the nest and disrupt the process while they are sitting...
Honestly, I just always assumed it was poop, it could be something else that they do to create their nest each time. I figure the birds know better than me regarding their reproductive practices, and their nests in the wild most likely look the same.
I am a breeder, so if you will not listen to the advice you are given then please listen to me. If your birds have poor nest hygiene then it is your job to fix it. A "breeders" job is to step in were necessary to help produce the healthiest chicks most well adjusted chicks. Every pair and every nest is different but they should be clean not filled with feces. Nesting birds should "clean" their nest. If they do not then it is the "breeders" job to do so.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Normally I don't look at threads asking about genetics but I just happened to look at yours. When I looked at the photos I wasn't sure what I was seeing for a substrate and asked. Actually, I assumed it was some sort of cereal, even looks like rice crispies. Any nesting material highly porous will hold moisture and in the warm environment of a nest box will rapidly grow fungus, bacteria, mold. Nest boxes are enclosed making it a suitable host for those nasties with little to no air flow. Babies are at high risk laying in this substrate breathing spores that are stirred up when the parents come in and out of the nest box. Add a large volume of poop and it's a disaster waiting to happen and .... not healthy for you to breathe either. Another factor - if the surface of the nest becomes impacted and flattened there is a higher risk of a chick developing splayed or spraddle legs. The more frequent you change the bedding the better for them and you. I would absolutely recommend you change this bedding now. It won't cause the hen to stop sitting on the eggs or caring for her babies.

You will encourage your parents to leave the box and use a block of cardboard or what ever is handy to prevent the parents from coming back in the nest while you clean it. Every couple days this will become routine for them. I am attaching a video I came across to show this process. Could it be a better video... yes.. at least it's a good visual for you to watch on removing babies, removing and replacing the contents. ( ASPEN wood shavings would be best) Extra parts to switch out on the inspection door would have been ideal but as you'll see she turned it to the outside to kinda clean.. I did note this person didn't block the entrance hole. I do recommend you do this. Are your boxes attached to the outside of the cage? How many pairs do you have?

Last but not least... I'm also attaching a link for you to read about aspergillosis ( including part of a section in this link..please read)

.....................................................................................................

Aspergillus is everywhere; it can grow on bread, in rotting vegetation, in materials used to line cages and on living tissue. Every speck of dust and dirt and every batch of corncob bedding have spores of at least one species of Aspergillus. A parrot does not usually succumb to the disease when it has a strong immune system. Over time it has built up antibodies strong enough to wage a proper war against the spores. But, a weakened immune system or ingestion of a huge amount of spores is what causes this disease. Every animal with lungs breathes in thousands of Aspergillus spores every day. The spores cannot grow in the lungs of a healthy body, but a diseased lung can easily become a host. Aspergillosis can consume a parrot with a weakened immune system. Poor nutrition, another illness, anxiety, loneliness, old age, unsanitary conditions or disturbed soil can also bring on this illness. Always keep your parrot’s immune system as healthy as possible. A constant and gradual exposure can create a chronic (long term) infection and the causes are all too commonly found in places you would never expect. Many parrot foods even have the potential to cause a parrot to ingest spores.

Unfortunately, almost all caged birds are eating poor diets, deficient in important vitamins, minerals, amino acids and ample supplies of protein. Stress runs a close race with poor nutrition as being the most common cause of a weakened immune system allowing the Aspergillus spores to grow.;

In every chronic case the slow growing fungus is also very slow to die and recovery can take time. The treatments often last for months or even years. Aspergillosis will never go away on its own.

I’ve listed a few stressors you should be concerned about:

• Spending much of the day in restricted isolation.
  • Shipping
  • Quarantine
  • Overcrowding
  • Trauma
  • Injury
  • Smoke inhalation
  • Prolonged antibiotic therapy
  • Being a breeder (laying eggs and caring for the young)

markymark

Meeting neighbors
What
Ok...
I posted pics of my mated pair before woth genetics questions, and after their first clutch figured we had it figured out...but 2nd clutch and I am CONFUSED!!!!

Female is a Australian Cinnamon (pallid)
Male is a turquoise
Don't know their heritage as they were inherited.
All babies should be visual green split to blue based on everything I have learned...
I have a yellow pin feathered chick. It is young, and they are just starting to come in, but they are VERY obviously yellow and different than the previous clutch and the sibling of this clutch...WTH?!?!

Does this mean that mom (pallid) is split to something that could cause that?
What did the baby turn out to be?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What

What did the baby turn out to be?
You may not get a response....... the member you quoted is not a regular visiting member of our forum.

Reactions: tka

markymark

Meeting neighbors
You may not get a response....... the member you quoted is not a regular visiting member of our forum.
Would still be interesting from a genetics point of view to understand how a female pallid and a Turquoise male produce a yellow feathered bub....

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yellow down is a Green series bird. Pallid is green. Green is Normal/Dominant.
Then you have mutations like Creamino - a Turquoise bird that looks yellow and white.
So yellow feathers on a lovebird happens on both Green and *Blue.

markymark

Meeting neighbors
Yellow down is a Green series bird. Pallid is green. Green is Normal/Dominant.
Then you have mutations like Creamino - a Turquoise bird that looks yellow and white.
So yellow feathers on a lovebird happens on both Green and *Blue.
Thanks Zara, I’m aware of the basics. I was referring to the fact the female is a visual pallid and with that being a sex linked mutation, bub must be a Parblue pallid. Which makes the female split to Parblue and the male split to Parblue pallid