• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

General questions from new owner

Soulsalesman

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
John
I have 2 new 3 month old cockatiels, bought them together from a store so should i cage them together? Are they easier to train together or seperate? I have had them for 2 days is there an appropriate time before they should start accepting treats through the cage? And one final question they kind of like nip at each other and do this kiss fighting thing is that okay or should they be seperate? Thanks in advance for your time and patience!!

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
I would say to separate them as soon as possible, especially if they are nipping. But even if it's not aggressive, it's important for parrots to have their own space. Do you mean regurgitating? Or are they actually nipping? How big is the cage? It is usually much easier to train them separately. You can try to feed them treats through the bars, but if they show negative behavior, I would just wait and try again the next day. There is no certain time for them to trust you.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
If you want to be able to handle the birds you are better off separating them, it makes them more dependent on you instead of each other. As far as housing them together, they are to young to be a bonded pair so its like throwing you in a room w/ a total strange and saying
there's your new room mate" sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Do you know for sure their sexes? Upon getting any knew pet I usually will give them a week or so to settle in without asking anything of them, they are in all new surroundings, new smells, new noises etc-those things take time to get used to. Chat with quietly through the day and form a relationship/bond with them-have fun & congrats on your new family.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the cage is large enough and you have at least two dishes of food in the cage for them, I don't see the issue of housing them together and training them together.

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The occasional squabbling is fine, but if it's more like aggression/fighting then it may be best to separate.

Do you have a picture of their setup?