• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

General African Grey Info

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Life Span: 40 - 60 years, although this is commonly shortened by atherosclerosis. (Pay extra care to avoid fatty and salty foods!)

Typical size/weight & description:
Congo and Cameroon: 12-14 inches, 400-600+ grams. All black beak, light grey feathers with a bright red tail. Cameroons are on the larger size but are the same as a Congo. Eye color starts out black and turns yellow with age.

Timneh: 10 inches, 300-400 grams. Beak has a bone color upper mandible with a black edge, darker grey body feathers and a maroon tail. Eye color starts out black and turns yellow with age.

Talking: typically starts around 1 year of age.

Perch Size: 5/8" (16mm) - 1" (25.5mm)

Important Information:
African Greys are prone to low blood calcium levels. Calcium works in conjunction with other minerals in the body to maintain bone structure as well as the breakdown of Vitamin D, blood clotting, egg shell formation, and several other biological functions. In order for calcium to be used by our bird's bodies effectively it must be accompanied by phosphorus, magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D.

There are several ways to address this issue:
Avoid relying on foods that are rich in calcium but hard to absorb such as spinach, chard, kale, and almonds. This are still good but should not be used as the only source of calcium.
Crushed eggshells are one of the most easily absorbed forms of calcium, finely crushed egg shells can be mixed in with cooked vegetables or baked into birdie bread.
Dandelion, alfalfa, and chamomile are a few herbs that are rich in calcium.
I do not agree with this but I know some vets have recommended crushed Tums over their food. While Tums does contain both calcium and magnesium it also contains sugars and other inactive ingredients, check the label, ask your vet, and do your research.

To assist in the absorption of calcium make sure your bird is getting Vitamin D. Vitamin D is produced naturally by animals as a result of exposure to sunlight. Do not rely on Vitamin D from food sources as is a fat soluble vitamin. Feeding your bird high levels of Vitamin D means feeding your bird high levels of fat!

A happy and healthy African Grey also requires Vitamin A and essential fatty acids. The essential fats are building blocks for many cells including the brain. Vitamin A is found in dark green or dark yellow/orange vegetables, however the most natural source of Vitamin A for our birds is from palm oil which also contains the needed fats (Omega 3 and 6 most importantly.) My favorite source for natural palm oil are Harrison's power treats or Udo's oil blend (available at your local health store.) There are other brands out there such as AVIx Sunshine Factor and Jungle Products Red Palm Oil. If your grey has dull tail feathers this could very well help!

African Greys are extremely intelligent animals. They do need extra care to keep them entertained and stimulated. Greys typically like to shread; puzzles and foraging activities are a must.

The chicken scratching on the floor/carpet/bottom of the cage is normal. In the wild African Greys are ground foragers, you can use this to your advantage when setting up their cage and for toys ideas! :)

Other info:
African Greys will bread year round indoors but outside will shut down for the summer months. Keep this in mind if you have more than one. ;)
Clutch is typically 3-4 eggs, sometimes 5. Eggs are white and about 1/2 of the size of a chicken egg. incubation is 1 month, fledge in 9-11 weeks, and weaning time using the abundance method is 16-20 weeks, 10-12 weeks through deprivation. Avoid buying from a breeder who sells babies too early or uses a weaning method you may not agree with.
If purchasing a baby grey from a breeder check their methods on fledging and clipping. Greys are very sensitive to this, there are several members here who have very uncoordinated greys as a result of not learning this skill while young.

Additional reading:
Grey parrot - Wikipedia

Please post corrections/additional info. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the work

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fantastic information Bobby!! Thanks so much. That was a great read :highfive:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thank you for the posting, I soak up all information I can on the Grey's welfare. Do not want to see any of mine ill ever again, it is a dreadful feeling not knowing how to help them, what it is you are doing that is wrong, or if what you are doing is giving them the help they need quickly.
So again many thanks for this.

CjandRazzle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cj
How long should I have one african grey before introducing a mate? Also can Timnehs and Congo's mate?

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
CjandRazzle - Are you looking to breed your bird? If you would like to keep your Grey as a pet, I wouldn't recommend introducing a second bird 'as a mate'. There are plenty of breeders already. :)

About the cross breeding, I'm sure they can, though why anyone would breed a Timneh and a Congo is beyond me. Most of the species crosses I've met seem to be a bit confused about what they are if that makes any sense. The nature of the Congo would differ from the nature of a Timneh, thus potentially making the resulting offspring much more unpredictable. I can't say from personal experience with cross bred Greys, though with a couple of the cross bred Macaws, that tended to be the case.

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
Wow what great information, thank you so much for posting!!! Im looking to become a companion to an african grey and im really diggin into everything that will make them happy healthy friends for life :heart:

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thanks for the info. I know it is a bit dated but still good information. I am planning on putting down a deposit on a baby CAG. He/she should be ready to go in June sometime. I am very excited.:dance4:

Talkin To Me

Moving in
Real Name
Ric
I have read that egg shells are very good calcium source for my african greys.
Question - should the egg shell be cooked like when eggs are boiled or left un-cooked?
I ask because dog breeders feed raw chicken and bones to dogs. Cooked chicken bones are a NO! NO! for dogs because once bones have been cooked they will splitter causing damage to a dogs gut maybe even killing the dog. I have never fed my greys egg shell because I have never gotten an answer to my question cooked egg shells causing a similar problem for birds? Again the Question is - Should Egg shells be cooked or left Un-cooked? :confused:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have read that egg shells are very good calcium source for my african greys.
Question - should the egg shell be cooked like when eggs are boiled or left un-cooked?
I ask because dog breeders feed raw chicken and bones to dogs. Cooked chicken bones are a NO! NO! for dogs because once bones have been cooked they will splitter causing damage to a dogs gut maybe even killing the dog. I have never fed my greys egg shell because I have never gotten an answer to my question cooked egg shells causing a similar problem for birds? Again the Question is - Should Egg shells be cooked or left Un-cooked? :confused:
Ric, you'll get more responses to your question if you start a new thread specifically for that purpose :) But, just for now, I'll say that I don't offer egg shell to my parrots at all. A good commercial pellet or mash, along with leafy greens and a cuttlebone toy or two takes care of that here without the worry about biohazard.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
According to Nat. Geographic almost 3 million wild African Grey birds are captured and taken from their homeland per year and end up a very unhappy caged bird. It is estimated at that rate in 5 to 10 years we will see very few left. How utterly tragic.