• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender query

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Hello all

While I never got Chao sexed because I don't agree with putting her under for that, it has left me thinking she may actually be male by observing behaviors. She makes the randy tongue clicks, head bobs, regurgitation, claws at sonic before attempting to mount him.. of course he does not allow this and he does the same back. Once neither let each other proceed, they stop and start preening each other or come down and see me. Would this definitely mean she's male or can she pick up his behaviors? I think it's worth adding she isn't nesty but will play with shredded paper in foraging toys. It never causes any fights and sonic normally does stuff to his rope toy after but ive nev

added cute photos for tax
71C78AB0-DF0F-4353-A860-22F44408F29B.jpeg
2FBDBA86-BA2D-46A1-AE34-3C08AA9591BF.jpeg B9EA5C68-5E2B-43D0-8C2A-AF4ED7FDB02A.jpeg

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't agree with putting her under for that,
I know some vets still surgically sex but you can opt for feather testing, they pull a feather and the bird is not put under for it.

Would this definitely mean she's male or can she pick up his behaviors?
There´s definitely a chance s/he´s male. Can they pick up on behaviours? Well, lovevbirds are great at copying so I don´t see why not.
My boys love shredded paper and shredding toys too. My eldest is, and always has been, a Pro at tucking paper strips into his rump, he tought his younger girlfrind how to do it because she was really poor at it.
My boys can get very territorial over a piece of paper they are shredding and will charge at other birds like the hens do to keep them away from their paper.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your birds are truly gorgeous! Just perfect :swoon: :loveshower: I took some time to admire your photographs before I wrote the reply and then forgot to post how lovely they are! :facepalm:

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you Zara!! I asked my avian vet and they prefer to put them under rather than sex via feather so I left it. It matters not to me but I don't want to keep calling her a her if she's a he!

she's come along so well. She had her claws trimmed and is no longer fearing the vet for check ups. She really is gorgeous and I find myself taking photos of her daily. Here she is today, not enjoying this UK heat (32 degrees Celsius) I know you guys get it way hotter but I found them mouth open today trying to cool down so they've both had a bath!
D775F912-FAA9-4CFD-8FE3-4C65575A77CF.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I asked my avian vet and they prefer to put them under rather than sex via feather so I left it.
Aw that´s a shame. Yea I personally wouldn´t sex my birds that way, especially knowing they can be sexed via feather. There are online places you can send off to for testing but that means pulling the exemplars yourself.

It matters not to me but I don't want to keep calling her a her if she's a he!
Could opt for ¨they¨?
Are they happy being handled? You could compare pelvic bones to each other. It´s not 100% accurate but it will give you a better guess than a blind guess.
malefemale.jpg

not enjoying this UK heat (32 degrees Celsius) I know you guys get it way hotter but I found them mouth open today trying to cool down so they've both had a bath!
We also had a heat wave recently with temps above the norm so we had similar issues but my birds did really well with it. I always have open water avail to bathe in.
Are you in the north or south? I´m from Lancs, my mum told me how hot it was yesterday and my dad called me this morning saying it was super hot again today!

Glad s/he is doing well with vet visits! Always good to know they aren´t stressing or scared :)

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Yeah it's horrendous cause our houses are build to trap heat so it's cooler outside at 32! Madness. They have a water bowl near their food as they insist on softening pellets in there but also a bigger water dish they prefer to bath in (it's actually for a hamster cage and hangs up)

Im more south, it's been a tough few days, us Brits don't usually do well with this level of heat

I cannot handle them like that no. They don't like being touched or held, only step up! I don't want to lose trust with plucking a feather or feeling near their vent.. they/them would be a good compromise!!!

thanks again for all your help, I could always get the boyfriend to pluck a feather if I really wanted to but I don't think it matters all that much at the moment , I'm more relieved because it means I can avoid eggs and all the egg related issues!!!