• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender preferences?

Tom B

Walking the driveway
I am going to get a bird soon but im still really confused about whether a male would like me. I have heard from some people that their male birds prefer female owners and vice versa is this true and if so would a male bird still bond with me if i spent the most time with him? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
Not true at all. Birds like who they like. I have three females and a male-- and they all have a pretty intense love of me. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's really very individual, just like some girl humans have a lot of guy friends, and others have a lot of girl friends! In my house, my male bird prefers my husband and my females prefer me. Three examples is hardly a study, though!

Meet some birds, and you'll figure it out. Even better, adult birds will already have their preference (if any) and you will have advance knowledge rather than working it out later. Some babies also change their preference as they mature!

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Hi! theres alot of factors involved in preference. I'm sure others will chime in on that one..
I will tell ya that I for one, could not handle the egg binding in females:eek: That would make
me very nervous..:p....There are many experience bird folks that will help you out..but give
us more details. What species are you considering? Have you done any research?

I'm sure all of us here agree that we're here to help~~:)

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks i would like a male cockatiel so i was hoping this wasnt always the case :)

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Yes its the egg binding that worries me about females, ive read quite a few horror stories and dont think i could bear it especially as it will be my first bird

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Great! I've had cockatiels before & they are amazing little companions. Let us know when you
decide, we love pics:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
cockatiels are wonderful little companions...the only way to ensure your birdie will be a male is dna sexing.

Tom B

Walking the driveway
Ok thanks, ive been goung back and forth over what species to get for a while but i think im pretty settled now. Im travelling with my family and the moment and ive got another four months to go, its so frustrating i feel like i already own a parrot and have just left him at home by himself :(. Cant wait to get one! :)

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Ok thanks, ive been goung back and forth over what species to get for a while but i think im pretty settled now. Im travelling with my family and the moment and ive got another four months to go, its so frustrating i feel like i already own a parrot and have just left him at home by himself :(. Cant wait to get one! :)

Well good luck in your search...your heart will tell you which one has picked you...;)..

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I had two female tiels......couldnt ask for more loving cuddly pets. BUT the egg binding had me ever vigilant for 8-9 years. My life revolved around lupron shots that had to occur every 3 weeks....like clockwork as being off a couple of days resulted in my bird starting to develop an egg. So having my tiels was probably the most fulfilling pet experience I will ever have But I am not sure I would get another female. I am not sure if male tiels are as cuddly as females but I would get a male if I had the choice

Forgive me Lea and Georgette - I could not have loved you more

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sometimes you have no choice and the bird picks you. :D

That happened to me with Millow, he was like "I've decided you're mine, now take me home!". :heart:

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
Male hormonal aggression has always swayed me away as those stories got to me the most. I prefer females and i have found since my tiel has started laying eggs that after the innitial shock and awe i can handle it now. With that being said both of my girls i zinged with, they picked me. Even though they did the fav human swap >>>Betty was my lovey and Dixie was hubby's until one day they just decided to switch on us and now Dixie is my mate as she sees it :heart:<<<<< I love them with all my heart! I feel that if you find your zing you can get through everything that comes. GL with your decision :hug8:

animallover

Jogging around the block
Tom B Lupe is right............the right bird will pick you. You will know when you meet the right bird and it's sex won't matter. When it clicks.....it clicks. If you are looking especially for a male then like Anne said you will have to DNA it to be sure. I have a male 6 months old and he loves me to death. He think I am his mate he tries to feed me by reguritating his food for me. LOL it's cute but gross at the same time. I had a female CAG who wasn't all that fond of me so see it doesn't really matter what sex you or the bird are, it's more a psyche connection thing. You will know when the time and the right bird comes along. Good luck on your new bird to be. Ziggy n his greens 001.jpg