• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender identification

Male or female

• Total voters

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I recently got a little budgie whom I thought was a male. But now I have second thoughts. Behavior wise he seems more female. Does that angry budgie sound alot and nibbles alot. The cere is purplish but looks a little dull. Has some white on top of the nostrils. The cere changes in different lighting too, adding to the difficulty. I'll add some pictures. 20200707_175002.jpg 20200629_163318.jpg 20200704_205934.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Almost positive that she is a female! I wouldn't think any males would have the brown markings

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Almost positive that she is a female! I wouldn't think any males would have the brown markings
Hi, those brown marks are actually not brown. They are those dark spots that babies have sometimes. I forget what it's called lol.

Thanks for everyone's responses so far! It's looking like he is a she.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks for everyone's responses so far! It's looking like he is a she.
She does look like a she.
I can't understand why folks are waiting for me though :peek1:
And I'm guessing Melanosis? Never seen it personally.

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone, but does anyone know what mutation she is? I've read that can have an effect on ceres.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone, but does anyone know what mutation she is? I've read that can have an effect on ceres.
Only for the males I believe ;)

Dorcas George

She does look like a she.
I can't understand why folks are waiting for me though :peek1:
And I'm guessing Melanosis? Never seen it personally.
Because we like you and respect your opinion on a whole lot of birdy subjects, that's why! What is Melanosis? Never heard of it.

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Because we like you and respect your opinion on a whole lot of birdy subjects, that's why! What is Melanosis? Never heard of it.
It is excess amounts of melanin or dark pigmentation. Some young birds will have it, especially in the beak. It usually clears up during their first molt.

Punchit

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I took some more pictures of him/her. The first one is with flash on, the second just normal. I'm really confused by this budgie. It's the first time I've seen a cere like this. 20200713_205418.jpg 20200718_190927.jpg

clarousel

The flash makes it look more white but the normal daylight makes it look more pink :wacky:

Has it gotten more pink since? The first photo you posted had some blueish tones.

I love the second photo btw! Your budgies have beautiful colours!