• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender for a ringneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
When I got my ringneck I didn't care the sex of it. They just said they sold the female and that one was male (I usually like breeders but that *little* bird stole my heart-grrr). It's over two years old and guess what... ??? So far there's no ring.

I do believe either he's a late bloomer or HE is a SHE. I'll be "nice" and wait another molt to see if there's a noticeable difference. The picture's not the best of the neck area but it gets the picture across that there's no ring as of yet. It might end up male eventually lol

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
How old is she? It can take up to 18 months for the ring to appear.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think you *might* have a female since your Ringneck is over 2 yrs old.

Indian Ringnecks are sexually dimorphic, which means they can be sexed visually. These parrots reach sexual maturity around 3 years of age and females can reach sexual maturity around 2 years of age. It is important to understand that sexing these birds before 3 years can be difficult.

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
well i have a male and female and the male he had his start of a ring at 1 year now its a full ring and he is about 4 now

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
I'm thinking there's a good chance you have a female. I'm pretty certain that the ring doesn't come in all the way in one molt so if you haven't noticed a few different colored feathers around the neck area by now it could be that he's a she.;) Doisy started getting his ring in September when he was about 18 months old. It's not completely in and won't be all the way in until next year's molt.

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
I think yours is a female. They should be at least beginning ot the ring by the second year.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I'm getting the feeling it might be a she as well. Rainbow's gone through a second molt successfully and there's not even a remote sign of a ring. Like I said, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and see what happens next molt :hehe:

Most of my cats and smaller animals have been male but I seem to end up with female birds so far. It was funny that I also got a "male" cockatiel as well and upon looking at it went "it's female" lol
Even the vet said that was the verdict on my cockatiel

Until then... I'm glad I didn't give my ringneck a very masculine name.

Status
Not open for further replies.