• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gender differences

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am seriously looking for a Hawk headed parrot. I had hoped to find a 6 or 7 year old female, but these birds seem to be pretty hard to come by. I am getting conflicting info from articles, most are saying that when the bird becomes 2 or 3, they get very aggressive and more so with the males. For those of you with Hawk headed parrots, is there a difference in general between males and females? I do get it that it can vary by individual bird... but looking for the opinions of experienced Hawk Headed owners.
Thank you

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The previous owner of my hawkhead said that females are generally easier to manage. Target was generally sweet, but she had her moments (attacking/dive-bombing my dad, biting me, etc.). She was very much a one person bird; she loved loved my mother, and only tolerated me. In my opinion, they are very much Jekyll and Hyde, like their cousins the caique.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny I let her out again tonight. I offered her my arm & she got on & then went on my shoulder back to where I tried to stay calm til I finally got her to get off on her cage again...LOl

Whew...I have only had her a less than 2 weeks & thats' pretty good for me!!!

Don't know...sometimes females as in eclectus are more fiesty than males. IT just depends on who raised the bird & the bird itself. I would not generalize but males can be more of a handful during hormones but females laying eggs can be also a problem...

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for the replies, it is helping me to decide with the baby currently Available.