• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gemini's Story-a VERY Special Congo African Grey:)

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
I agree with the others that you need to write book about Gemini! What an absolutely beautiful, motivational, funny, sad, happy story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

missymoosparents

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, sorry if posting this re-vives too old a topic or something.... I just read this whole thread, and whooo. My Missy Moo, a 5 1/2 y/o congo has had some seizures. We have been chasing the root problem for 2 years now. This thread has given us hope. We had previuosly thought strobing lighting, (tv, flourescent lighting strobes a bit as do others) then we thought peanut allergy. Once we removed all traces of peanuts from her diet, and switched to pellets, they slowed to 2-3 every few months. We were actually thinking we may have beat it this time, but last night she had a small one, then tonight a big one. I like you, am thankfull and or ignorant of the fact that she always has them when someone is home. I have been scared to death..... I know we all love our little friends, but my moo is very special too. She just learned to fly recently at age 5+ up until 2 months ago she flew just like I do, she would flap and fall to a thud every time. She also holds back and forth conversations and corrects people when they are wrong. She also sings songs she makes up, and she cuddles on her back on my forearm like a baby. Going forward, we will be looking at adding some calcium, and re-reading the thread for more diet adjustments when we are less emotional, these are so rough...... The vitiman that comes from sun, was it d3?, makes sence, these seem to coenside with times of lesser light. You mentioned adding lighting, is there a brand or certian type we should look for? Just for the record, we are really good parrot parents, we love her with all our heart, and she has a good life. I am so glad Gemini is well! :heart: thaank youuuuu!

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi, sorry if posting this re-vives too old a topic or something.... I just read this whole thread, and whooo. My Missy Moo, a 5 1/2 y/o congo has had some seizures. We have been chasing the root problem for 2 years now. This thread has given us hope. We had previuosly thought strobing lighting, (tv, flourescent lighting strobes a bit as do others) then we thought peanut allergy. Once we removed all traces of peanuts from her diet, and switched to pellets, they slowed to 2-3 every few months. We were actually thinking we may have beat it this time, but last night she had a small one, then tonight a big one. I like you, am thankfull and or ignorant of the fact that she always has them when someone is home. I have been scared to death..... I know we all love our little friends, but my moo is very special too. She just learned to fly recently at age 5+ up until 2 months ago she flew just like I do, she would flap and fall to a thud every time. She also holds back and forth conversations and corrects people when they are wrong. She also sings songs she makes up, and she cuddles on her back on my forearm like a baby. Going forward, we will be looking at adding some calcium, and re-reading the thread for more diet adjustments when we are less emotional, these are so rough...... The vitiman that comes from sun, was it d3?, makes sence, these seem to coenside with times of lesser light. You mentioned adding lighting, is there a brand or certian type we should look for? Just for the record, we are really good parrot parents, we love her with all our heart, and she has a good life. I am so glad Gemini is well! :heart: thaank youuuuu!
Lots of prayers for Missy Moo.

The lighting you want is Full Spectrum lighting. Very important for all birds.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
ill have you know i read this befor and when i saw it again i had to read agan it is now 5:20 am
please make a child book of Geminis life get it published do it in parts make 10 books out of her life to date
and continue with it it would give you an income and im sure BF would be glad to help , you could also do one of stanlie
Bonnie your a beautiful writer dont let your talent go to waist , you can dictate it to BF she can write it for you
what a warm true storie for children to read it would show a child if even a bird could acomplish things they to can
please give it some good thinking

hugssssss doll mango

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks Doll and everyone that has commented to Gemini's story:hug8: Gemini and her lil sister(not related) continue to be an inspiration for Me and I :heart:them both dearly:hug8: Gemini will now allow Me to Scratch-her chin--yea really-LOL,and Her head-and tickles under the wings,each and every day:dance4:She has even stepped up for Me several times:dancing:I have My "Sweet Baby Grey" Back!!!!! She continues to be the Mother Hen of the flock-telling the others"Its OK" if something spooks them:hug8:She has also mastered the voice's of all the other Grey's-SO half the time She is talking-and I think its some birdy else:D
Grizzlebird is still plucking just his neck-and the feathers are still coming in PINK[/COLOR:)
I will consider writing the story up as a book-with so much encouragement from ALL of You-How could I not at least think about it:hug8:Thanks again everyone-it means the world to Me to know that "our" experience" has inspired others:hug8:

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
i am so glad this story got bumped. i did not know about gemini. i am really touched by her story. what a remarkable bird and what a fabulous relationship you have with her, bonnie!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I'm also glad it got bumped. I had not read it before.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
This is a beautiful story. I loved reading it and I too think you should right a book. Thank the heavens for people like you Bonnie who look after the little ones.

kep817

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kimberly
Thank you for sharing this story. I just read it. Please write a book. I do a lot of charity work for an organization geared towards children and adults with physical disabilities. Gemini's story would be so inspirational to the physically disabled and their families and might help the rest of us see past the physical and get to know the individual and appreciate them for who they are. I love the fact that you emphasize all that Gemini is able to do and what a positive force she is in your life. :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bonnie, I have now read this whole thread for the 3rd time! I laughed, I cried, I got angry at Stanley's owner. I love Gemini's story and really do hope you right a book to get published! I have started giving my flock chicken bones 1-2 times a week and they love them! I have to really give you credit for educating yourself so many years ago when no help was available. You have a very lucky flock! Thank you again for brightening my day when I needed it most!:heart:

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Bonnie, I enjoyed reading about Gemini, she is very lucky to have you in her life, If you do write a book on her, I would buy it for sure, thanks so much for telling story of her, she sure is a specail girl, any update pictures of her ?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Bonnie, I'm so glad you bumped up her story.

This is my first time reading it. Loved the story, was happy with her triumphs and sad about Stanley.

Gemini is a star. I've read so many older Bird Talk magazines I wonder if I ever saw (though I don't remember doing so) her story.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love this story and I'm so glad it got revived.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:adminwatch::biggirl::bbundies::bump8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This has been one of my favorite threads here! I have read it several times! Gemini!!!:heart: